An Endeavor I'm Considering...

LP

Premium Member
Starting off, I've played around with Sets since SC3, but I've always really main Sophie. I realized a long time ago that, Sophie is (not painstakingly) pretty limited in terms of some options (not saying she's bad at all; hell, I think that almost all players should probably start off with her as she has some of the best basics in the game...which is something I didn't realize until seriously picking up Sets =P). That realization took me to explore a bunch of my 'fun' characters, in search of a new one to dedicate myself to. That led me to falling back on Sets. And, now, honestly, I feel like I've ingrained her in me enough to the point where she's second nature (It was hard for me to break the habit of punishing mids with A+B...and even harder realizing the difference between both of theirs. =P)

I go around a lot of Soul Arenas and I notice a lot of things that are unique to them. Still, in the back of my mind this whole time, I've wanted to make something of a comprehensive guide Setsuka. Honestly, I'm talking insane depth, even going so far as to analyze all of her attacks (though some may disagree, I think Sets has an AMAZING movelist and that she should utilize quite a few of the games universal options and even environments in certain ways).

Now this takes me to the reason behind this topic. Because of the nature of such a thing, I think quite a bit of this would be subjective (I honestly haven't seen any Sets player here play her the same way that I do and many probably don't even value a lot of her and her movelist's qualities the same way I do). Now, as soon as I get back to the States, I plan on going to as many tournaments as I can (and hopefully, after that, maybe my opinions will carry a bit more weight). But, until then, what do you guys think?

I'll honestly probably start writing it up some time soon (but more than likely won't finish until I get back to the States and have an even bigger wealth of knowledge and thoughts on her). But, for now, listing some of the important things it'd touch on would be:

Getting comfortable with Sets (Movements, attacks)
Her movelist (Pretty much like the wiki except adding my own little additional observations of some of her attacks)
Spacing and ring control (Probably one of the most important things)
Wavedashing
And, though not Sets-exclusive by any means, comfortability with Sets (which is one of the biggest reasons I think so many players are turned off from Sets or don't perform as well as they may be able to with her).

Sounds interesting. in all honesty ive always wanted to play sets but i was lazy when i started playing and didnt have the patience to pick her up...but now that ive rekindled my SC4 flame im seriously thinking about make her one of my mains...she always impresses me when used by some1 thats of a decent calibur with her....that guide will probably help me and a lot of other ppl. i support u all the way

Please, please, please don't run around with a scrubby Setsuka atleast know what the eff you're doing cause i'm tired of seeing scrubby Setsuka's asking for mirrors on this online thing!

lol i can imagine how that gets under ur skin.... i have yet to be beaten by a setsuka online...then again i havent played any1 good with her either.

I think if you ever did this, that you'd want input from multiple Setsukas as well as getting a better idea of your moveset from tourney play. (Not to say you don't understand it, but more offline and especially tourney play will both reinforce and dampen your idea of certain moves, likely.)

Honestly, as far as why people don't play setsuka, I think it's an issue with time. Very few people feel like spending as much time with her as is required. (By this I mean timing, lag, consistency and punishment) She just takes a longer amount of time than other characters, if only because of all the JFs. Though I suppose this counts as comfort.

And as far as spacing, the only range I think she's bad at is when she's just outside of close range, but not exactly mid range. She has options from everywhere else that work quite well, but most issues seem to happen there. =/

Go ahead with it man!!! ^_^

My baby is always up for some more loving from anyone.

Use all the data you have here of course for your research and the low safety guide is only for 1.03 as I'm not updating nothing if Broken Destiny or any update doesn't come to consoles.

Good luck man and PS...

Sophitia is small time compared to my baby, but you figured that out already, hehe.

Please, please, please don't run around with a scrubby Setsuka atleast know what the eff you're doing cause i'm tired of seeing scrubby Setsuka's asking for mirrors on this online thing!

People who aren't very good at the game shouldn't call other people scrubs....and word on the street is you're not very good.

Yeah, I already considered the input from others thing - just decided not to write about it because they would have to get a fair vision of what I intend to be writing. Like I said, though, I'd pretty much my face at tournaments before it's even completed. Not saying I'm the best at all, but I'm pretty sure I can hold my own and I'm more than sure I can learn from any mistakes. Still, I know I pretty much have no right to come in here talking like I'm the master without any sort of backup.

Still, the comfortability thing encompasses a lot. I think if people got past, especially with the JFs, having to second-guess themselves, they'd get to the point where they see how much of a powerhouse Sets really is. And, other than that, I know what you mean about timing. It's pretty much one of those, "I can keep getting my ass kicked with Sets...or I can switch to *X* and start fuckin' DOMINATING!!!" things, which is one reason I think, people drop her in favor of someone else or just don't pick her up altogether.

I won't talk my opinions on Sets unless you really want to, but, depending on the character, I'd have to disagree with what you said about just outside close range being her worst.

Still, I completely agree with you about the input from other players (and intending to say something about it completely but people have to show interest in this first). I should be back in the States early Jan. and plan on going to any Tristate tournaments I can go to and then back in Chicago for leave in Feb. and having casuals/one tournament there, so that'll leave a pretty good amount of time for nitpicking and criticisms from all of the Sets family, as well as helping Sets get a good constant amount of vids as opposed to the frequent droughts I'm sure we're all used to by now.

Sophitia is small time compared to my baby, but you figured that out already, hehe.

Haha!!!

Sophie still has her perks. ;-;

I feel like Sophie is a good intro to Sets. =P Honestly, though, until I started learning to play most of Sets attacks at tip range (which is something else I would discuss when taking into account her attacks and their frames...along with her fuckin' AMAZING knock-back), I felt like Sophie was better at keeping herself out of danger because Sets tends to more a lot more with her attacks (sometimes putting herself in compromising positions) while, most of the time, Sophie's content with throwing her sword out as far as she can and moving back...that and Sets can't move too damned fast in those geta.

Either way, not dropping Sophie either way because I've loved her since Soul Blade, but she might have to get in the passenger seat for Sets for a while. =P

Chill people.

Help LostProvidence with his idea, give him tips, support and suggestions.

If you want to fight or argue who has the biggest online dick, do it elsewhere. Do not derail the thread, please!

LostProvidence: If you're from Chicago, play with Malcolm when you return. He plays with Thugish Pond a lot, so his Setsuka was pretty good last I faced him.

If you're looking a certain teacher for......
Agression- MGVfinest is who you should ask
Tactics- Dest is who you should ask
Defense- J_U_V_E_N_I_L_E has the most defensive Setsuka i've played so ask him
OR
Training Partner- iiDRiiS(Effin Beast) LOL

I had some other idea just this morning...hope it comes back to me while I'm playing Spades.

Oh yeah!!! Though it's nothing new, but like with the low safety guide, it pretty much came to me from the way I play Hilde with Sets (using BA). If you haven't guessed by now, I'm a pretty big fan on the pushback Sets has on a lot of her attacks (Even though it's super linear, see how 4B works on block at tip range!), so I plan on pretty much doing something like a 'reverse' safety check for, maybe all of Sets moves. Obviously, this'll also benefit any spies who come to up their game, but yeah. =P

Damn...that's going to take a while. o_o

Just want people to know that I still plan on doing this. Just on leave right now, so, if I'm awake, I'm usually doing something. I'll more than likely start writing it next month and I'll take any and all input that I can get.

All right. Will definitely check that out next month., thanks.

Back