Android Awesomeness Thread!

lobo

Luminario
well, the title pretty much sums it up. i thought to put this into the tech forum, but it is more general, and involves getting people for online android gaming, as well as just doing flat out awesome shit. so, without further ado, i bring you the android awesomeness thread!

Android.png

this thread is dedicated to anything and everything Android!

somewhat new to the system, i have quickly fallen in love with this OS and with my new phone in general.

that said, come to this thread for direction to sites for tech support, or free stuff. :D

I am currently running a Motorola Droid 2 R2-D2 rooted, and if anyone has any cool tips or questions as to how to root (simple, fast, and AWESOME) or specific apps, please feel free to ask.

that said, there are tons or online gaming apps that we can utilize. wanna challenge me to connect 4? i didn't think so. but if you did, you could download an app called line of 4, look for a user named 8wrlobo, and we could get it. think you can beat me at scrabble? try downloading wordfeud and looking for 8wrlobo.

how about cool screen shots?

did you know you can use an android to root your ps3 into homebrew and play games saved to an SD card even if your blu-ray drive has gone YLOD on you? well you can!

someone please get SNESoid and then get a ROM for killer instinct. then post here! i wanna test out the online play with someone!

lobo's list of must-have apps:

DolphinBrowserHD (crucial. best internet browser for handheld OR pc i have ever used)
googlevoice
google earth
google skymap
NESoid (plays any and every NES game ever made)
SNESoid (same but for SNES)
PSX4Droid (same but for ps1, requires high end device or rooted overclock to run well)
Line of 4...its connect four! play me online, anytime, scrub!
Wordfeud...it's scrabble! see above!
ClockworkMod (requires root)
Droid Bootstrap (requires root)
Root Explorer (requires root...lets you add, move, rename, delete any files on the phone/SD)
WiFi Tether (requires root...unlimited free wifi hotspot...SICK)
android lightsaber...it's just awesome
Shazam
Slacker Radio
Meridian Media Player
Rock video player
Bluetooth File Transfer
Alarm Clock Xtreme (requires root...great alarm clock. forces you do do math problems to turn it off. works like magic)
MP3 Music Download (exactly as titles...lets you DL any song straight to your phone in seconds)
SetCPU (requires root...lets you set CPU running speed during activities. triples battery life)

*all listed apps are available 100% FREE, although i have donated to many and so should you!

ugg sooooooooo many more. these are my "must haves" though, for any android user. any other must have apps? great games? lets hear about them.

iphone users, step yo game up! upgrade!
blackberry users...ROFL i'm sorry.
everyone else...the future is here! get with the shit!

I love wifi tether, setcpu, and rom manager. I'll add some of my favorites in a bit.

edit;

OpenSpark (XBL app that lets you see what friends are playing and even send and receive messages.)
RingDroid (Take any song you have and cut out what you want as a ringtone)
Handcent SMS (a text message app I like better than the standard one)
Google Earth
Google SkyMap
Google Voice
Stray phone finder (A cool little app that can be used to find your phone if you misplace it by sending a text pass phrase.)

There's a ton of other cool apps and games but I don't feel like listing them all.

My must have apps:

Barcode Scanner
Pandora
Shazam
Swype
System Panel (pay for it!)
Ustream Viewer Beta
Wifi Analyzer

I have the Droid Incredible and I love this little piece of awesome.

Angry birds ( its actually pretty fun)
Chess (the computer whoops yo ass)
Dictionary( I think everyone should have this)

I just got the phone and haven't really checked the app store so this thread will be useful

My old 1st gen (or is it 1.5?) HTC Magic+ is pretty old, but whatever it manages to run fine for now. Will definitely upgrade to an Incredible or a Nexus One in the near future tho.

Definitive list of must-have apps:
DolphinbrowserHD (best goddamn browser you can get, although updating it is annoying/iffy)
Barcode Scanner (although I heard that FroYo supports barcode scan?)
Aldiko (great e-book reader, links straight to WikiBooks and can import .epub files easily)
HelixLauncher (best f'ing launcher you can get, fully customizable, lightweight, supports both Portrait and Landscape mode and does a ton of shit and is customizable to hell and back)
gStrings (for musicians only, tuner for your instruments. Near perfect and very accurate)
Jewellust (Bejeweled + Power ups, enough said)
Wordfeud (online scrabble, lots of cheaters tho)
Baseball Superstars 2009/2010 (great game really, even if you don't like baseball all that much)
NESoid/SNESoid/GBoid/GENSoid/PSX4Droid/etc. (play whatever you want at any time)
ShredderChess (Think you're good at chess? This little beast managed to be Blitz computer World Champion title 4 years consecutively, and it's consistently hailed as one of the most powerful chess engines in the world)
MeeboIM (much much better than ebuddy and supports a lot more protocols)

Also SL, I wouldn't recommend using RingDroid as Android 1.6 and above has the songcutting for ringtone feature built-in. Tho their integrated media player kind of sucks but whatever. I just wish someone would code a goddamn FLAC codec for this thing already.

Getting the emulators for the Droid Incredible not so good...... its all touch screen Q_Q

yeah juece...you may wanna stick to RPGs :P

i'm loving my full qwerty physical keyboard.

panda, it is really subjective. depends on your service provider, what you are looking for in the phone, etc. for example...the droix X is technically superior to my droid 2. droid X has 8 MP camera to my 5. droid x has HDMI video output, mine doesn't. why, then, did my phone come out months later, from the same producer, and at the same price? well...it is smaller. it has a full qwerty keyboard. it has been tested to have less hardware issues. it is perfect for me. if i was into, say, taping parties or events, though, i would want droid X so that i could play them in HD on my TV. i mean i still can, but i gotta go through a middle-man such as my usb to ps3 to HDMI. not to mention it is good looking. android made to look like r2d2? mmmmm nerdgasm...and i don't even like star wars lol.

i do think it is a pretty even run between HTC incredible, motorola droid x, motorola droid 2 as of now. really it just depends on what you use your phone for. i have a coworker who also has a droid 2, and he uses a program called swype instead of his physical keyboard. he says he wishes he could trade for droid x because the keyboard is worthless to him and he wants the better camera. me, i'm like, "dude have you tried playing super mario on those on screen touch buttons? not gonna happen" i'll stand by my droid 2 as top of the market right now. i wouldn't trade it for anything else. that's just me, though. i've heard good things about the nexus one and also a couple of the new samsungs...fascinate and captivate. i haven't messed with them though. some service providers have SEVERELY limited options.

also, boringryu...there is a problem with Froyo in that the stock music player locks up on android phones with horizontal homeview when you tilt the device. it happens on all phones running froyo over motoblur and i believe the HTC equivalent as well. this is why ringdroid and meridian are still great apps. otherwise the stock player would shred them both.

ya i was thinking about getting the EVO, but then i heard about Droid X. and some samsung phones...
im wondering which phone has the fastest processor. i dont want the phone going all slow on me in a year or so...

Dont buy anything from Motorola... only HTC.

I use an HTC incredible myself... and I use SWYPE

i know HTC is popular these days, but what's wrong with Motorola? or even samsung for that matter...

um...the droix X is ten times the phone...of anything HTC makes.

don't believe me? well as for software none of it matters. you can root either one to do what you want. droidX = bigger screen, thinner, higher resolution, same processor, more memory

just go to a verizon store and hold one in each hand. HTC phones are literally lightweight plastic trash compared to the motorolas.

jaxel is right about swype, it is good. too bad the droid X and droid 2 both come with it as well. :P

I have the first moto droid and I'm completely satisfied. When I upgrade it'll prob be another motorola.

Still loving my rooted Droid2.

i had to necro this thread to proclaim the awesomeness of PowerAmp! if you have an android, this is THE must have app music player. i never knew my phone could make such a badass mp3 player until this app.

I bought the first samsung wave for the amoled screen and amazing feature list. Upgrading to a Galaxy SII for the android love. Samsung sexy!

But some may prefer extra elbow grease amped out of the competitor phones. Me Im just a whore for the iphone thats not an iphone.

I am an ex-iphone user and my first android phone is the HTC Inspire from AT&T and I gotta admit, at first I was completely in love with it because of the hype android phones were getting, but now it's worn off.
It has some pretty nice specs, supposedly it's the AT&T version of the HTC Evo.
I have no problem with the phone and I think it's great! As well as the Apps, but honestly, I'm just not a phone person.
I am NEVER on my phone 24 hours a day like some people, no offense, so I really don't have anything to contribute to this thread other then say that the phone is really nice and definitely a lot more faster then the iphones, at least from my experience.
So my only App that I recommend is:

The Coupons App - it has really nice restaurant coupons, nothing TOO fancy wancy but I did find a "free cheesecake for every $30 you spend at the Cheese Cake Factory" and I fucken LOVE that restaurant and their cheese cakes. :3

Back