Arcade Stick

Nukleurfire

[09] Warrior
I am not a clever man, can someone help me out? I am thinking about building a stick from scratch. My friend's dad puts together arcade machines for a living, so he can give me all those high quality Japanese parts. But what do I need to know? I googled some stuff, but all I understood was the part about four sided or octagonal gates.

Ya I used that one as well. VERY helpful.

Also I HIGHLY recommend square gates. They feel awkward at first and you will instinctively want an octagonal, but in the end the square if far superior once you get the hang of it. They're usually standar so give it 2 months and if you hate it then switch, but adapt and see it out first.

Thanks Link and IFB! I stumbled across that googling and it looked very well laid out to me. It's good to know that it is a verified resource.

Square gates, really? I figured I'd need to do a lot of circular motions so a circular or octagonal gate would make more sense.

The trick is to GENTLY ride the gate. It takes getting used to but you'll learn the 90 degree corners actually benefit those movements. Lock into a corner, rotate quick with a gentle gate ride, and harshly snap back to the corner. It also is VERY VERY useful for pulling off :6::2::3: in 2D fighters. My only complaint is half circles that dont end/start in corners can suck at times. In 2D fighters you'll often over shoot and jump and you'll have to really learn to execute the move just before the jump frames start (all 2D fighters implement a slight delay before a jump actually starts, EX: Zangief). I will warn it has a learning curve, I was terrible with my stick for a while before it felt natural. Prior to that I fucked up :4::8::6::2: all the time because i would hit a corner, now I don't.

Gates are cheap however and sticks such as the SANWA in the SF4 TE are VERY VERY easy to modify on the fly and you can switch back and forth till you're comfortable. It's a simple snap in snap out with no tools required.

Avoid circle gates like the plague tho, I got curious and found an MvC2 with one and I wanted to kick a puppy afterwards.

Also try Semeitsu buttons. Players tend to either go with these or SANWAs. Lately SANWA is getting all the attention because of the SE (even tho SE's use MadCatz ones that suck major ass) and TE sticks, but I find them too sensitive and will register when I don't want them too or screw up mashes because their so shallow it doesn't fully lift before the next press is initiated. Semeitsus are much heavier and have a slightly deeper depth before registering. However SANWAs are far better for slide inputs. Horis aren't bad either and mimick Semeitsus more than SANWAs.

I looked at some reviews and I read that Horis are worse than MadCatz, but Horis are better? So I don't really plan on sliding my button too much- mainly I'll be using it for SC until I get into SF. So which would be better, Semeitsus or Sanwas?

And what's wrong with circular gates?

I can pull of all the shoto moves %100 in SF, wouldn't an easier gate benefit me more?

So I'm thinking about buying one of the two on the top of this page http://www.lizardlickamusements.com/pages/boards.shtml would you recommend one of these, are just cannibalizing a crappy stick?

A circular gate makes it hard to tell if you're hitting a diagonal.

On the buttons, it'll come down to personal taste. Seimitsu buttons are sensitive (you barely have to press them) and they've got convex tops. Seimitsu buttons aren't as sensitive, (if you're used to pushing buttons down, this feels more natural) and they've got flat tops.

Hori sticks vary. The basic Ex stick is a pain to mod, and the basic parts tend to crap out within three months. The HRAP's are nice however. It's easy to pop out the stock Hori buttons and swap in better quality parts. The HRAP SA (PS3 only?) comes with all Sanwa parts. The HRAP SE (360 only IIRC) comes with Seimitsu parts standard. The HRAP's have good sticks in them from the start, but later models tend to have those soldered in place so swapping them out isn't really an option.

The Madcatz sticks are easier to mod and the higher end versions ship with full sanwa parts. (Cheaper ones have Madcatz knockoffs which are hard to trust, but you get a decent stick shell for about $50 that you can upgrade at will...)

Don't want to start a new thread, so I'll ask here: recently I bought Madcatz TE stick and after several tries I just coudn't pull of an iWS move. Is it just me or there is some trick to doing it on stick?
upd: Oh, so I found out the trick by myself. Just should manually return joystick to neutral position, hehe)

Ok so i picked up a MvC TE arcade stick from craigslist brand new in the unopened box for 80 bucks. This thing FREAKIN ROCKS for SC. I didnt think it would change the feel of the game as much as it has but it just feels SO right when playing. I also figured that the transition from pad to stick would be a pain in the ass but it was just the opposite. within 10 mins of using it i'm GB Asura all over the place with Kilik. I've found that now i dont even use binded buttons to perform moves because its just so easy to perform inputs now.
Slide inputs aren't that bad as i was hitting Mitsu JF's pretty consistant. If your not playing on a Arcade Stick well buddy you SHOULD BE :D

Been trying to do some homework on a good stick. Im digging the Madcatz SF4 TE. Got a couple questions though

#1...Is there a contraption of some kind that enables me to switch from xbox360 to ps3 so I can take it to tourneys

#2..Cant seem to figure out if it has an octagon gate or not, cause Im thinking that would be the best option for me.

#3...can I change that horrible SF4 artwork to something else being that Im not a SF4 fan at all!

I heard of its easy ability to be modded. But it comes with sanwa buttons, good quality stuff.

this is the one Im lookin at http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73049

help me out fellas. Im dyin to get my hands on one!!

HRD

1. not sure but would love to find out as i have a MvC TE for xbox

2. mine has an octagonal gate and its very easy to use after using the analog on the xbox controller. either way you can buy a octagonal gate for bout 20 bucks i think and easy to change.

3. i believe the SF4 is just like the MvC except the graphics and yes you can change the graphics out. lots of templets online to DL or some ppl sell the art outright fairly cheap.

the stick changes the way you play the game Dave. since getting it i dont use binded buttons at all anymore. it was actually very easy for me to make the change and i find that its alot more fun to play on.
bad thing: it attracts small children "like me daughter" and they end up trying to mash the buttons too as your playing :D

I looked on craigs list...didnt see one in my area. I saved up some money and got a big fat bonus at work, so i dont mind paying a few extra bucks. Gamestop has them for $119. I figure Ill get the extended warrenty and its brand new and if something happens I can get a new one.

I dont want to get it until I can figure out if I can switch from PS3 to xbox though

I would never build my own stick. It would look like Homer Simpsons failed grill. I play with my Hori stick right now but i will buy a SF tournament edition stick soon.

1 - There is a device that makes it work on all systems, but it is pricy. I'm gonna be buying one myself.
2 - They are always square gates. In theory octagonal seems superior, but I have found once I adjusted to it, square gates are the ONLY way to go.A gate is about $8-$10 I think
3 - Yes. Their are many templates online and you can make your own in photoshop and have places make the piece

So I did it. I went out yesterday and got my 1st stick. I ended up getting that Madcatz SF4 TE stick. Its great. The feel is really natural, just like Im 10 years old again playing 720 in the arcade (Im dating myself there),

Having a hard time getting the trasition down. I havent figured out where I want my buttons. Being that I play Maxi, I use a shit load of cancels and fakes that are a bitch to pull off. Its like I went back a year and a half in my progression.

Its only been one day so Im sure Ill get used to it.

@Mavericks420....GB asura is SO MUCH EASIER on a stick. I can actually do it 1 out of 4 tries now. (pats myself on the back)

HRD

Generally all stick players play with this set up:

A : B : K : -
G : - : - : -

Some however make the last slot A+B+K+G:

A : B : K : A+B+K+G
G : - : - : -

The bottom 3 can be left alone, binded to be double taps such as grabs or A+B/B+K/A+K ooooor set up for slide inputs, EX: Put:

G : A : G : A

For NM A:G:A input, you can just smack them sideways and always do it perfectly.

My set up:

G : B+K : A+K : A+B+K

I have B+K/A+K binded so I can stance shift with Ivy easily and A+B+K is for doing double press moves and canceling the stance transition. It gives my fingers a LOT of freedom from executing the moves with just basic single button binds.

wow that actually makes sense. Im gonna try some of that. Slide inputs from left to right felt akward and I kept hitting other buttons.
Man you only have to barley breath on the buttons and they activate.

the button layout is also akward. then again I have never played on a stick before. The A & G buttons, how they are sitting lower than the rest gave me carpel tunnel after a few hours, so I elected to not use those at all.

But thanx IFB, Im gonna try those layouts, out

HRD

Back