Are we really that creative? (Discussion)

NeclordX

[13] Hero
This is just a thought I had while scrolling the different threads and I thought may be we could have a debate about it.

Of course there are original characters, but if we count them and compare, the number of guests, recreations from previous games (both characters and costumes), famous or historical people is by a huge margin highter than the number of complete original creations.

That made me wonder, can we consider ourselves that creative then? When the number of original ideas we have is so limited (of course I'm including myself) and most part of the time we limit to recreate what we like rather than créate our own content. And its not just in this fórums, if you check the charácters online its the same, most of them are some sort of recreation rather and a creation. It almost could be called "Recreate a Soul" rather than "Create a soul"

I don't know, is just a thought that came to my mind and I liked to discuss to see what everyone thinks. I don't know if this is the best place to raise this topic, but since is really related to CAS I thought its the proper place.

"Recreate-a-Soul" isn't a new term.

"Are we really that creative" outside of an editor in a videogame I imagine so yes. I know lots of people here have artistic hobbies. As for why there're so many RCaS, it's an easy and popular way to add an element you think is missing. And even some of those require creativity.

But honestly, and I don't mean to insult you, but you might be taking CaS a little too seriously there friend.

Personally, Every character I create, barring 2ps is an original. I'm too self criticising of myself.

Anyways, myself aside, I'm sure it's a lot of fun to create characters from a different series. It gives a lot of room for funny crossovers and cool designs. It's pretty challenging too, at least in my (admittedly limited) experience.

Just my two cents though

I feel recreations are a way to practice.

I notice lots of users here go for a more experimental and artistic angle with their OCs.

I consider my characters more grounded design-wise as they’re part of my constructed world.

When the number of original ideas we have is so limited (of course I'm including myself) and most part of the time we limit to recreate what we like rather than créate our own content. And its not just in this fórums, if you check the charácters online its the same, most of them are some sort of recreation rather and a creation. It almost could be called "Recreate a Soul" rather than "Create a soul"
Good question! Really made me think; so much, in fact, that I nearly wrote a 300 word essay, but I think it's smarter to be concise.

Basically, I think creativity manifests in different ways. The kind of creativity I think you're talking about gives you the ideas for the background of an OC. Creativity can also manifest as a more practical, problem-solving type of creativity. This is the kind of creativity you use when you need a short jacket, but don't have a good enough part, so you use a pocket sticker make one.

Some of us are creative in both ways, some are better at one or the other, some at neither (not trying to be elitist, just calling things as I see them). Fortunately, both types of creativity can be improved through practice. I guess the reason there are more recreations than OCs is because it takes more work to make an OC. So, maybe only a few of us are creative in the sense of creating new characters from scratch, but there are more of us who are creative enough to take a given character and make them look good.

This is a symptom throughout most of the culture here in the US at least, not just SC or other dress up games.

The same could be said for movies or TV shows. Lately it's mostly prequels, reboots, sequels, spin offs, or it was based from a book (like game of thrones, AKA a song of ice and fire). Even walking dead isn't original (comic book).

There was a commercial yesterday I saw on youtube for a NEW home alone movie, with Culkin and the whole cast. I facepalmed hard.

This is a symptom of a dying culture, IMHO. Very little NEW culture is being created, it's just recycled and rehashed from 90's culture. I could say the same about music, which hasn't changed much since the 90's in terms of style and what's popular. I still hear nirvana everyday on the radio, along with other older rock bands on a "new rock' station. Rock is dying a slow death.

I could go on and on about this but I'm going to stop here.

-on a side note, you guys need to check out the show 'Dark' on netflix. It's a German show, and I recommend you watch it in subtitles and NOT dubbed, the voice acting for the dubbing is shit. This is an original idea involving time loops, paradoxes, and murder mystery. Watch it.

-on a side note, you guys need to check out the show 'Dark' on netflix. It's a German show, and I recommend you watch it in subtitles and NOT dubbed, the voice acting for the dubbing is shit. This is an original idea involving time loops, paradoxes, and murder mystery. Watch it.
Seconding this. Especially the dubbing part, just awful.

For me OCs are far more satisfying to make if you can make something that fits in well among the main cast. Including lots of qwerks and things that differentiate it as its own character which for me means utilising every tool available so the character feels as complete as possible.

This is a symptom throughout most of the culture here in the US at least, not just SC or other dress up games.

The same could be said for movies or TV shows. Lately it's mostly prequels, reboots, sequels, spin offs, or it was based from a book (like game of thrones, AKA a song of ice and fire). Even walking dead isn't original (comic book).

There was a commercial yesterday I saw on youtube for a NEW home alone movie, with Culkin and the whole cast. I facepalmed hard.

This is a symptom of a dying culture, IMHO. Very little NEW culture is being created, it's just recycled and rehashed from 90's culture. I could say the same about music, which hasn't changed much since the 90's in terms of style and what's popular. I still hear nirvana everyday on the radio, along with other older rock bands on a "new rock' station. Rock is dying a slow death.

I could go on and on about this but I'm going to stop here.

I really agree with tour statements, but in that context there is the monetary component. I mean, its not that here aren't new ideas, is that from a bussiness point of view is more easy and safe to use franchises that the audiences already have a connection with.

I totally respect people who prefer to create within the boundaries of lore compatible CAS
I totally prefer people going the extra mile to do something else thinking outside the box of the SC setting (RCs or OCs alike)
I totally dislike obscure RC of anime games etc that are as bland as their original design
I totally hate the ingame offline mode CAS opponents for being an utter disgrace of anticreativity
I totally mean that all of us have an artistic creative mindset just for being here and posting, each with his own experience and sensibility
I totally think this forum is too much of a time sink :)
I totally fear i won't stop till i hit 100 :)

When I do recreations, as was mentioned, it's more like practice for me, especially with how much more uncooperative this system is than SC5. With recreations, since I'm limited to a pre-existing design, I have to find a way to manipulate the various pieces of equipment to get the most desirable result. In doing so, I develop new techniques that can help me create more interestingly designed OCs.
Also, rarely do I ever make exact recreations. More often than not, my recreations end up being my own take on an existing character, like I've done with Mileena, Kitana, and Jade from MK.

It’s funny I really don’t worry about if I am being creative or not. It doesn’t cross my mind, unless someone else brings it up.
I don’t think OCs are more or less creative than Recreations... but I guess I think of it from the perspective of my personal experience, not the end result... or the audiences reaction....
I probably go through more mental loops trying to achieve a specific goal with a recreation.I guess, that can be considered clever if not creative...it certainly feels like a bigger challenge.
But honestly even with an open ended OC I am aware that the elements I am using are designed by someone else.... most of the elements used in SC are heavily crafted by another persons hand. Even If I try to use them in unique ways.
There is certainly creativity.... but For me the feeling is more similar to making a collage than taking a pencil and drawing something personal.
I mean everything I said above... but also.... who cares, it’s fun. I doubt I will win any respect or sophistication points for my work on SC customs outside the gaming world.... Hell, there is resentment aimed at the CAS system ,from within, by serious SC players....there are divisions among the SC custom makers, between -OC, recreations, anime characters, things that fit properly within the world.....and so on.... at some point you can slice the pie a little too thin I think.

Back