Asta Match-up List

I think I can help with Alpha.
  • He has a lot of [useful] TC attacks (even his aGI has TC frames) so you might want to incorporate low grabs more if you don't use them much.
  • Very good punishment (both block and duck punishment).
  • He's pretty linear though, so you should be able to get a few 22B BEs in there (his anti-steps aren't that good and are mostly high.).
  • He also doesn't have as good a backstep as you do, so space a lot.
  • You won't see many unsafe attacks, but he does have twister (-22), bA (-22), a:G:B (-23), 1A:A:A (-22) and FC 3A+B (-16). There are also a few things you can duck/JG and punish.
Thanks! This should help a lot, I didn't know he had so many tech crouches!

Recently I got back into playing SCV and I had a good old FT50 with my friend Criticalhit4, an Aeon player. I lost 17-50, but didn't feel completely crushed, but rather intrigued as to how is Astaroth supposed to overcome the bevy of TCs that Aeon has at his disposal. Aeon's 4B+K seems unbeatable, unless I pull a psychic crouch grab out of my ass during it's start up. I searched for weak points in Aeon and in my digging around I found that Aeon player's feel that his weakest point is his unsafety, but being an Asty punishment it's something my opponents revere me for. Any advice on this match up?

Emp, I get some sound lizard ass whoopins on occasion with some buds Viruzcroc and haxinsheep. I feel your pain, but there's hope.

A good Aeon can track and smash you for sure, leaving you eating baited 1b(ex's) ro's and throw pressure. It sounds like you're focused on throwing him too much and letting him control space.

Consider gaining some space to provoke Aeon's 66a/rush pressure, getting away from his faster-than-yours-counter hit game and set-up your own c.hit baits with 2A~wrA~66k; 4a~66k;44B~wrA~66k etc. Stop anywhere in the set-ups if you start to see him blocking and Asta dat lizard w frame traps.

Aeon's biggest weakness is his frames. His pokes are all highly - on block (With the exception of 1b BE of course.) His best meterless frame trap poke on block is 6a an i17 high that does 17 damage and is -4 on block (Compare that to something like Pat 1b and you will find that his frame trap game leaves much to be desired). Aeon has a hard time enforcing pressure once he gets one of his pokes blocked and usually has to resort to defensive options like 4b+k.

tl;dr If you block many of his moves, he doesn't get many good favorable reverse mixups.

Can anyone offer me suggestions on fighting maxi and alpha pat? I just don't know how to counter dem buttons! I never play maxi or alpha pat, and so when I play against people who know what they are doing its hard to avoid all of their safe attacks. Any advice regarding frame data for either character or even a basic move that is common and unsafe would be extreamly helpful!
I'm replying to you about 6 months late but this may help someone else with Maxi:
  • Distance yourself as much as possible and go for quick interrupts if he gets too close (:6::K:, :6::B:)
  • Don't allow him to spin his Nunchuks around for too long, his combos tend to have pauses in them or he'll jump to the side. A good interrupt I use is: :3::B:+:A:
  • Another handy interrupt I find to use is: :3::K:,:A: it chunks for 60 damage on CH.
Maxi is pretty tough though, not going to lie. A lot of Maxi players play differently but they'll follow their own style, analyze how they fight the first round and adjust accordingly. Don't forget to bullrush interrupt too. Stick to fast startup moves and grab interrupts.

Played a lot of Astaroth this weekend at ExitWounds. Anyone have any advice on fighting regular Pat? I just cannot move freely against Pat, and I'll move against Alpha Pat.

Pat is gonna wreck you up close and at mid range as most of his crap tracks and is -2 on block. Your best bet is to just poke him down with prayers.

Played a lot of Astaroth this weekend at ExitWounds. Anyone have any advice on fighting regular Pat? I just cannot move freely against Pat, and I'll move against Alpha Pat.

Well Pat has step killers that are >> Alpha's. Oh and his pokes are just the worst. What Fenris said.

Back