Asta Match-up List

I main Raphael and Pyrrha but just can't seem to get a handle on him with them.
For Raph, well if you pick to play him you pick the hard road for a lot of match-ups lol. I do play a bit of Raph myself, Asta does about 3 times your damage but I usually manage to win by using Raph's good variety of TC moves for avoiding throw attempts and poking Asta to death. However with Raph's bad stepkill make sure you play it safe, because Asta's 22B BE is very nasty in this match-up in my opinion.

Pyrrha, well she has no bad match-ups lol! Or that is the general consensus. Focus on getting through his spacing with her, the run that offense up close for Asta is way slower than her. Also 22_88K is great for going under Asta's throws for excellent damage, but be wary for Asta's bullrush, it can go under it since it is a high move.

Personally I think if you practice the match-up with Pyrrha you should be able to handle it, and Raph can do it too, it is just harder for him.

I've had more luck using Raph than Pyrrha. I can beat his mains (Yoshimitsu and Nightmare) but I don't know what my gameplan is supposed to be against this caliber of Astaroth.

I've had more luck using Raph than Pyrrha. I can beat his mains (Yoshimitsu and Nightmare) but I don't know what my gameplan is supposed to be against this caliber of Astaroth.
How good are you at throw breaking? That is what often makes or breaks this particular match-up.

How good are you at throw breaking? That is what often makes or breaks this particular match-up.

I'm remarkably bad at throw breaking which is what probably destroys me. It's also the reason why I probably do better with Raph, because I can space him out better.

I'm remarkably bad at throw breaking which is what probably destroys me. It's also the reason why I probably do better with Raph, because I can space him out better.
Yea pretty much. If you are bad at throw breaking, then any decent Astaroth will give you a hell of a hard time. If you are having trouble with your throw break attempts, try throw out good TC moves when you suspect a grab is coming. However, practicing your throw breaks would help a lot in the long run and be less risky than throwing out TC attacks at disadvantage to dodge grab attempts.

Yea pretty much. If you are bad at throw breaking, then any decent Astaroth will give you a hell of a hard time. If you are having trouble with your throw break attempts, try throw out good TC moves when you suspect a grab is coming. However, practicing your throw breaks would help a lot in the long run and be less risky than throwing out TC attacks at disadvantage to dodge grab attempts.

Yeah thanks for the tips. I guess it's mostly down to me practicing throw breaks. I definitely need to use 22k on Pyrrha more though! :P

Does anyone have any tips for playing against Leixia? Being able to mix up her moves in the middle of the move is really tricky to me and I have a hard time keeping up. Also, crybaby is a pain in the ass. Any tips?

Does anyone have any tips for playing against Leixia? Being able to mix up her moves in the middle of the move is really tricky to me and I have a hard time keeping up. Also, crybaby is a pain in the ass. Any tips?

I think Asta VS Leixua is not that easy for the Golem. Her speed. wsB BE and her guard crush game can make it very difficult when fighitng against her. Try to keep her away as far as possible, try to break her gauge before she breaks your and stay away from her when she is on the ground. Asta can´t rely on his otherwise awesome OKi in this match-up imo.

how do you space out a leix that constantly stay in your face? I just can't do it... are there any video of asta master outgame a leix master?

how do you space out a lex that constantly stay in your face? I just can't do it... are there any video of asta master outgame a leix master?

Last week I played a ft10 against Kalas and his Leixia for SC Tier, but unfortunately the video is not available at the moment due to some weird problems on twitch.tv :/
I'll post the video here as soon as possible.

last time I youtubed some leix vs asta match videos, I found out kalas won several PSN online tourneys by consistently beating the same asta guy. I didn't watch the whole thing though, but it was really one sided...

EDIT: oh shit it was you lol
youtube.com/watch?v=632Mm6Iaqx8

have you finally downloaded him? I look forward to see you taking him out

last time I youtubed some leix vs asta match videos, I found out kalas won several PSN online tourneys by consistently beating the same asta guy. I didn't watch the whole thing though, but it was really one sided...

EDIT: oh shit it was you lol
youtube.com/watch?v=632Mm6Iaqx8

have you finally downloaded him and avenged the astaroth community? I look forward to see you taking him out

Ahah yes that's me :P
We confronted 3 times in different online tournaments, and he won twice (He is the best Leixia out there imho) but these online tournaments are pretty old (April-May 2012). Both me and him play better now.

I won the ft10 last week, but I can't link the video because twitch.tv has problems, and I don't find it lol.

I won the ft10 last week, but I can't link the video because twitch.tv has problems, and I don't find it lol.
got any recent videos of such matchups? would help greatly, thx
Siegfried - 5:5

From playing hundreds of matches with a good Sieg player, I'd say this matchup is pretty even. Sieg's main pressure tools are agA and 3BB (aka Chief Hold B), both of which give him advantage on block. Be mindful of his WR B, as it tracks more than 3B and gives natural hit combos unlike its 3B counterpart. The recent patch hurt our backstep, so 3B and WR B will eat you alive if you try that too much. Don't rely on too many of Asta's horizontals, as Sieg's B+K stance auto-GI's them with ease. Our 44A should still be used though. Our 6AA isn't too useful due to Sieg's 3B having a tech crouch and pushback.

You can go about this matchup in 2 ways: take the gamble while at disadvantage and try to 66K under agA/sidestep 3BB with 22B punishes, OR, you can take a lot of guard damage until you find an opening. I've won matches using both methods.

There's not much to do in terms of block punishing in this matchup. Many of Sieg's move have pushback. For instance, his 66B is punishable if he does it at very close range, but at mid to long range, we have nothing to punish him with. His 1K, Reverse Side Hold K, and Flapjack (FC A_B+G) are punishable by 4B or 2A_B+G. WR A,A can be punished by command grabs.

Your success in this matchup will also hinge on your knowledge of all of his stances and the moves that come with them. You also need to be mindful of his frame traps. Some of these frame traps include: agA -> 3B, Chief Hold B -> agA, Chief Hold B -> 66K, 2[A+B] -> K BE, 44B -> K BE, and 2B -> K.

Note: I know spelling out the stances isn't the correct notation form to use, but for ease of reading, I spelled them out for those unaware of his stance abbreviations.
I know this is from a year time ago, so I am wondering if there any updates on this matchup.

after 3(B) or wr (B) only sch K is 10 frames, everything else is 17 frames at least. should quick step 33_99K beat everything he does?

I know this is from a year time ago, so I am wondering if there any updates on this matchup.

after 3(B) or wr (B) only sch K is 10 frames, everything else is 17 frames at least. should quick step 33_99K beat everything he does?
Siegfried can beat that with either realign SCH K BE or by guard cancelling his stance. The best way to deal with 3B/wrB mix-up is mix-up between your best i20 or faster move and a good side-step move, preferably with TC. As Astaroth, 22_88B is great for dealing with stance, as Sieg's SCH A often will not reach due to spacing and even if it does, it will deal much less damage than a potential 22B or 22B BE. As for the fast interrupt to beat stance re-align or guard cancel, Asta has more problems here (because he is the slowest character in the game), chances are either 6K or 66K is your best bet, which you can then follow into your standard Asta mix-up game. Siegfried can potentially beat Asta's 22B with a re-aligned SCH B, however, it is quite risky as he has to do it as you stop stepping into your 22B, which opens him up to just simply being bullrushed all day.

im feeling ballsy and i say the Asta vs Zwei is only 6-4 Asta
Unlike other so-called low tier Zwei does damage, good amounts especially on counter hit.
i say Asta has the advantage of more damage and how well he can keep ZWEI out.

Well bitch ZWEI is a high risk high reward character too!

Asta is known for his damaging grabs and its a more of a risk for Asta to use those because Zwei has WRB which is a 80 meterless damage duck punisher(more with meter).

Getting in for Zwei is proberly the hardest thing about this MU but Asta using attacks like 22B can be stepped or JGed on reaction and on JG its -33 and ZWEI can block punish with 66A+B and boom he is in. however its fair as if the JG fails then you get alot of damage and im back out again.

If anyone has listened to the ZWEI soulcast we discussed him to be effective as a poking character aswell using pokes like 2A, B, 6B, 9B etc can be an issue to deal with Asta up close. however on the flip side he has 66K BE a very good get off me tool, usful to get out of frametraps after 214B, however once again its a risk because if read it becomes a easy JG for a 3B launch or 66BA punish.

All about the reads!

Unfortunately, for some unknown reason Twitch.tv deleted the FT10 between me and Kalas, and this really sucks.

The only thing I can show you is the (amazing) paint artwork made by Partisan at the end of the fights ahah:

TD684Lt.png

I personally think the MU is in Astaroth favour, I'll write more about this soon

Can anyone offer me suggestions on fighting maxi and alpha pat? I just don't know how to counter dem buttons! I never play maxi or alpha pat, and so when I play against people who know what they are doing its hard to avoid all of their safe attacks. Any advice regarding frame data for either character or even a basic move that is common and unsafe would be extreamly helpful!

Can anyone offer me suggestions on fighting maxi and alpha pat? I just don't know how to counter dem buttons! I never play maxi or alpha pat, and so when I play against people who know what they are doing its hard to avoid all of their safe attacks. Any advice regarding frame data for either character or even a basic move that is common and unsafe would be extreamly helpful!

I think I can help with Alpha.
  • He has a lot of [useful] TC attacks (even his aGI has TC frames) so you might want to incorporate low grabs more if you don't use them much.
  • Very good punishment (block, whiff, and duck punishment).
  • He's pretty linear though, so you should be able to get a few 22B BEs in there (his anti-steps aren't that good and are mostly high.).
  • He doesn't have as good a backstep as you do, so space a lot. He also can't control position or get in as well as you can (although in this case it's pretty close and he does better in your face).
  • You won't see many unsafe attacks, but he does have twister (-22), bA (-22), a:G:B (-23), 1A:A:A (-22) and FC 3A+B (-16). There are also a few things you can duck/JG and punish.

Last edited:
Back