ATP Soul Calibur 5 Just Guard Tutorial

aris

[08] Mercenary
This is my first crack at a semi proffesional style video. Huge thanks to Binkley, Insomnotek and Commando for helping me with this project.

After Fuzzy Guard gets patched, I think Just Guard will be a very effective tool in Soul Calibur 5. This game will essentially function similarly to Third Strike. Hopefully this video gives you an idea of how effective this tool can be. Everything in this video was performed by hand. Make sure you guys rate subscribe and comment and thanks for all the support.

So yeah, the 'Soul Calibur tactics' section needs to be updated. Most of those stickied threads refer to SC4 tactics. We need a new one explaining SC5 mechanics and this video should be right at the top of the section that deals with just guarding. Good job Aris and nice editing Binkley.

I stuck some comments in the other thread dedicated to this about GI:

Some genral thoughts here. First of all, this is a great video by Aris. It shows some of the ways you can utilise JG properly. However, I want to allay some concerns.

JG will not make GI obsolete. They are useful in different circumstances. JG is great against unblockables, and against similar timing mixups like the Hilde 3BA / 3BB as shown in this video. GI has a much bigger window and is better when you see a move coming but don't know exactly what it is, because you know what attacks you'll be able to follow up with.

Because you can bait re-GIs, you can get the double advantgage of getting a much bigger combo than with a JG, and you can waste your opponent's meter. Finally, and this is really important, if your opponent hasn't got enough meter to re-GI, you can use GI for absolutely guaranteed follow-ups.

With JG, every attack you JG will yield a different advantage: some won't be launch punihsable, and some won't be punishable at all. JG will be a really powerful tool in the hands of skilled players, but GI will still be important too.

Good shit...but couldnt someone just grind out in training mode to get timing down on most moves? It seems to me that JG wont make GI obsolete, but its potential for effectiveness will be as good as the player makes it. I can see some players putting a LOT of time into the system. My main concern is how good it will really be at its highest and most skilled application. I love the system and what it grants players who are defensive, but its potential is scary...may be just me though.

Very educational video. I cannot seem to land a JG at all though lol. The video makes it look easy....but it's not. It's hard as hell. It's like SC4 jGI like timing for me :-/

It's difficult... Like I tried consistently to JG Mitsu 4B and, Leixia's 44B over n over. It's relatively easy for him to do. However I have tried it on whole strings and, doing this can allow you to interrupt strings you normally can't or, quick step out.

Back