Basic Notations and Terminology

{}: Grouping of options.
can anybody explain to me what this meens, ive been looking around Mitsu's Combo thread's and things like
236 {B2} 1A

{}: Grouping of options.
can anybody explain to me what this meens, ive been looking around Mitsu's Combo thread's and things like
236 {B2} 1A

In this case it means 236(B); but the hold input on 236(B) isnt quite a full charge, hence, level 2. 236B would be level 1 charge, 236(B2) would be slight hold but not full, and 236(B) would be a full hold.

It's not really clear; but that is what it means.

-Idle

I would be really grateful if the first post was updated with some info. like the definitions on Oki, Okizeme, Ukemi, whatever... :D It would save me some time instead of looking through the other posts...

Is it possible to update this for the current Soul Calibur game? I'm completely new trying to learn all of these, and it's hard cause I have no clue what people are saying in some Soul Arena threads.
First one I went to was Leixia, and I got a little confused, someone said "BE" I can't figure out what that means, but apparently itll turn my back to the enemy cause the next one after that is "BT"
8B+K (Not sure if SHK or not), BT B+K, WS B~BE, BT B+K, 3B
That's what I'm trying to do, trying to understand a little and trying out random things I find.
And I have no idea what theyre saying in the brackets either, SHK? :/

Ugh, "learning" this game is going to take forever. :|

I'm completely familiar with the SC notation and all, but it's really hard to read the Opening Post. I understand it was made three years ago, but with the option to put :1:,:4:,:gA:, etc. etc. in the posts, shouldn't the OP be edited to give a more visual illustration? I think something like...

u/b u u/f
b n f
d/b d d/f

would be extremely confusing to someone who is completely knew to the Soul Calibur series.

I was looking through the Aeon combo thread and I saw 1B$. what does the dollar sign mean? I know what 1B is but no idea what $ means.

Wahaha WTF my notations guide is still around wow.

I was about to check if stance notations were added, the Wiki link is not working. I suppose Jaxel is working on it. I wanted to add stance notations for Viola. So do I wait for the Wiki or just add it directly here and ask someone to edit the first post?

I was looking through the Aeon combo thread and I saw 1B$. what does the dollar sign mean? I know what 1B is but no idea what $ means.

It means Brave Edge (A+B+K). There was a poll a while a go of what notation the community should use for Brave Edge attacks. Some people liked the $ option and started to use it. Some people are using BE or (BE). It's a bit silly that we have 2 or 3 notations for the same thing. We shall see which one will prevail in the end.

Is it possible to update this for the current Soul Calibur game? I'm completely new trying to learn all of these, and it's hard cause I have no clue what people are saying in some Soul Arena threads.
First one I went to was Leixia, and I got a little confused, someone said "BE" I can't figure out what that means, but apparently itll turn my back to the enemy cause the next one after that is "BT"
8B+K (Not sure if SHK or not), BT B+K, WS B~BE, BT B+K, 3B
That's what I'm trying to do, trying to understand a little and trying out random things I find.
And I have no idea what theyre saying in the brackets either, SHK? :/

Ugh, "learning" this game is going to take forever. :|

BE means Brave Edge attack (you press your A+B+K button/s at the right time to perform this). WS means "while standing" (also known as WR, "while rising"). It's a state your character is in when he/she is standing up from a crouch position. BT means back turned towards your opponent.

For example: WS B BE, BT B+K, 3B
While you're rising from a crouching state, you press B, quickly followed by A+B+K. This Brave Edge move launches the enemy behind your back so your character is now in BT (back turned) state. In this state, if you press B+K, Leixia does this little kick attack. And finally you add a little bit of damage with a 3B move. (note. I don't have the game yet, damn European relase dates, so I'm not 100% sure if this is what the combo does)

I think SHK means "shakeable stun", which means your opponent could press certain amount of inputs (I don't know how many it's in SC5, 5... 6 inputs?) to shake off his/hers stun which would mean that the rest of the combo would not be guaranteed.

What exactly are Impact Frames?
The startup frames a move has until it hits the opponent. For example, an i15 move isn't actually 15 frames long; it hits after 15 frames of startup, then enters recovery (non-active) frames, which can be punishable depending on how long the recovery is.

Back