BattleField 3

IvyFanboy

[11] Champion
Expected to the shooter of the year and the next evolution of the FPS genre, BF3 early BETA is NOW and very soon for everyone. Post your experiences here and discuss new info.

So key observations:

• Damage feels higher then BF:BC2. Enemies seem to drop at a satisfying amount of damage
  • The knife does a slow semi-cinematic kill to prevent it from being abused like in COD games
  • The GUI now displays your health %
  • There are 3 items/buffs outside your main/primary guns
  • The jump button now doubles as a "climb over" button similar to COD. You are very vulnerable in this transition and there's a lot of camera movement, so don't be careless
  • There are flashlights, and in some very cool areas this can be useful. It can also blind the opponent for surprise pop ups.
  • Noticing a scope lens flare is pretty easy if you're looking for it, so this will dissuade a lot of camping snipers
  • Grenades feel stronger. RPGs feel weaker
  • Scoping now has a sway, holding shift will cause you to hold your breath and aim like in COD
  • Prone feels balanced. It's not near as quick as COD prone so it can't be abused for quick crouch shooting.
  • You can now strafe while running forward, making circle strafe possible

Sounds awesome. According to the video interview on the Xbox dashboard the open beta begins on Sept. 29th so the rest of us don't have too long to wait.

Does the scope sway thing help prevent quick scopers or does it not affect that very much?

yes. You can aim as it sways, but it's difficult and you shouldn't be able to quick scope kill outside of point short range. It feels right.

Played some more, game just feels good. It feels like a mix between what COD did right and Battlefield:BC2. COD has some great elements that got tacked on here and I feel they implemented them way better. prone position feels balanced and you can't use it brainlessly like in COD. I think we get a 2nd map tomorrow. So far no vehicles. Also seems like ammo clips are a bit larger too. I find my self able to get a few kills in the heat of battle and not have to desperately count my ammo in a close range fight.

Only thing weird so far is rockets feel vastly under powered. I feel like my grenades are devastating and my RPGs barely register unless it's dead on.

Ah, seems i may have been looking in the wrong place for the drivers. I tried to do an update and kept getting the 280 and I need the 285 version. I did a google search and got pinged to the nvidia site to a page specifically for it and I guess since it's a Beta update, it wasn't detected by normal methods of auto updating. So if anyone else is having issues when they get the beta tomorrow, try google searching for the drivers, you will all likely need this for PC.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-285.38-beta-driver.html
for nvidia/win 7.

ALSO:

I cant believe this thread wasn't created sooner this game is gonna be amazing I cant wait to start playing with infantry only on. Really all I want is to have jeeps only and no other vehichles just as means to get somewhere quicker. But having no vehicles at all will do too (Dice officially announced that as a feature by the way).

You should add a gadget list I know theres a link to the list of all the gadgets I like the flash suppressor it suppresses the muzzle flash.

I would, but you have to unlock all the items so I'm still seeing what we got but some more observations:

• Flashlights seem too work a little too well. I've been blinded in sunny areas with the light only loosely aimed at me. I feel they need to tone down the effectiveness outside of directly shining it in my face.
  • Lots of falling thru the map issues. Find an impact crater, start fussing with prone and good chance you'll be under the map firing at confused opponents. But it's beta, so these things happen.
  • Seems each team has a different set of guns, similar to what CS does.Your side arms and universal guns will be there, but your class specific ones may switch.
  • There are 3 things to level that give you unlocks: Rank, Class, Gun. Each will grant different unlocks. Rank will give you perks and weapons that can be used universally. Class will give you new access to class specific items and weapons. Gun will give you accessories specific to JUST that gun. This means there's a TON of shit to unlock and you have a lot of control over load outs
  • MGs have a tripod that by scoping while near a flat surface or prone, will instead deploy it, root you to that position, and basically make you a very accurate turret (well accurate for a full auto Machine Gun).
  • Seems to be a lot of diversity with guns so you wont feel like "this is the MG class" and "that's the Assault Rifle class". If you like a certain advantage of a class, you have options with different types of weapons
  • Grenades can be seen through walls as an orange outline
  • Guns sometimes have a toggle for different gun fire mode. I was using an RPK with a 3.4x scope and casually alternating between single shot and full auto based on my range and surroundings. Very helpful actually
  • Arrows seem to float higher than in BF2, be aware when firing at a tagged opponent you cant see well, such as through smoke.
  • Guns can equip flashlights and lasers that can be toggled on and off. Both can be used to blind an opponent.
  • The Recon class has an item that can be dropped to become a new 'deploy' location, making it ideal when on the frontlines and you dont want to risk losing your footing as a drop anchor by fighting.
  • When revived you start with your sidearm out in prone. You are not immediately revived even after you see this. You must hit a button to confirm(or start firing i think?), or hold an assigned button for a few seconds to skip the revive and respawn on your own.
  • Spawning on an ally puts you in the same prone/crouch/standing position they are in. This has been both helpful and annoying.
  • Gun customization has generally 3 slots, one dedicated to just visual (scopes, etc...). So in total you have 3 class perks/gadgets and 3 weapon accessories. There are perks for vehicles too but I haven't gotten those yet. Point is there's a LOT of customization.

EX:
    My support class:
    • class slot 1 - ammo box
    • class slot 2 - nothing yet
    • class slot 3 - added sprint speed

Gun LMG (i think)
    • gun slot 1 - 3.4x scope
    • gun slot 2 - foregrip
    • gun slot 3 - heavy barrel

I would, but you have to unlock all the items so I'm still seeing what we got but some more observations:

I didnt mean you compile your own list I meant find the a list that got released because I was to lazy to find it myself. This is the list I was talking about so you dont have to make this list yourself.

• Flashlights seem too work a little too well. I've been blinded in sunny areas with the light only loosely aimed at me. I feel they need to tone down the effectiveness outside of directly shining it in my face.
  • The Recon class has an item that can be dropped to become a new 'deploy' location, making it ideal when on the frontlines and you dont want to risk losing your footing as a drop anchor by fighting.
Yeah flashlights shouldnt work in the day and your allies flashlight also shouldnt blind but it does sometimes.

Are you saying that bf3 has Tactical Insertions? Really?

Any word on when they are gonna let us play a vehicle map?

I would like conquest and thats it really. Ugh I hate rush so much but yet I'm playing it like mad cause I need my BF3 fix.

I think the lense flare on snipers is a little too bright, it doesn't look very realistic and looks more like they have a flashlight or something. It is especially annoying underground as it makes the sniper look like he has a searchlight strapped to his forehead.

I have found that the flare has a slight advantage of obscuring the target. Several times ive spotted a sniper and had a hard time making out their body to fire at.

Also it's better than a tactical insertion, because your entire squad has access to it and it stays until a new one is dropped.

So I thought I would just put that list in a spoiler a lot of these things you can get in the beta so I'm guessing this list doesnt have the things you can get in the retail release.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: DICE
Street Date: October 25 in North America, Starting October 27th in Europe
Category: First Person Shooter
Players: 1-64 (PC) 1-24 (Console)
Platforms: PlayStation® 3, PC and XboxTM 360

KEY MULTIPLAYER FEATURES
  • Epic scale vehicle and infantry warfare
  • Infantry only close quarters warfare
  • Destructible environment
  • Squad based team play
  • Huge persistent soldier carrier
  • Customizable soldiers and kits
  • Customizable vehicles
  • Fully customizable weapons
  • Soldier specializations
  • Supported shooting
  • Suppressive fire
  • Quick reloads
  • Multiple firing modes
  • Reviving team mates (with opt out option)
  • Vehicles with regenerating health
  • Infantry only game setting
  • Hardcore game setting
  • Assist scoring for successful teamplay
THE CLASSES
  • Assault
  • Recon
  • Support
  • Engineer
THE WEAPONS
  • Assault Rifles
    • M16A4
    • AK74M
    • M416
    • AN94
    • KH2002
    • AEK971
    • F2000
    • G3
    • ASVAL
  • Carbines
    • M4A1
    • AKS74u
    • SCAR H CQB
    • G36C
    • A-91
    • SG553LB
  • Machineguns
    • M249
    • RPK-74M
    • M27 IAR
    • Pecheneg
    • M60
    • M240
    • Type88
  • Sniper Rifles
    • Mk11
    • SVD
    • SV98
    • M98B
    • M40A5
    • M82A3
  • Battle Rifles
    • M39
    • SKS
  • Submachineguns
    • P90
    • MP7
    • PDR
    • UMP-45
    • P90TR
    • PP2000
  • Shotguns
    • 870MCS
    • M1014
    • USAS-12
    • DAO-12
    • Saiga 20k
  • Rocket and Grenade Launchers
    • SMAW
    • RPG-7
    • Javelin
    • FIM-92 Stinger
    • SA-18 IGLA
    • M136 AT4
  • Pistols
    • M9
    • PYa MP443
    • G17
    • M1911
    • T44
    • MP412
    • G18
    • M93R
WEAPON ACCESSORIES
  • Optics
    • M145
    • RDS Reflex
    • Kobra
    • Holographic
    • PKA-S
    • ACOG
    • PSO-1
    • PK-A
    • IRNV
    • PKS-07
    • 8x Rifle Scope
    • 12x Ballistic
  • Ergonomics
    • Foregrip
    • Bipod
  • Performance
    • Heavy barrel
    • Suppressor
    • Tactical light
    • Laser sight
    • Flash suppressor
    • Straight pull bolt
  • Underslung weaponry
      • M320
      • 40mm grenades
      • Bucksot
      • Smoke grenade
      • M26 MASS
      • 12 guage
      • Flechettes
      • Frag round
      • Solid slugs
SOLDIER EQUIPMENT

• Knife
  • M67 hand grenades
  • M18 smoke grenades
  • Medkit
  • Defibrillators
  • M15 Anti-Tank mine
  • Welding tool
  • EOD Bot
  • 60mm Mortar
  • Ammunition box
  • C4 explosives
  • M18 Claymore mines
  • UG sensors
  • Radio Beacon
  • SOFLAM
  • MAV Micro UAV
SOLDIER SPECIALIZATIONS

• Sprint boost
  • Squad Sprint boost
  • Flak vest
  • Squad Flak vests
  • EOD EXPL vest
  • Squad EOD EXPL vest
  • Suppression reduction
  • Squad Suppression reduction
  • Marksman training
  • Squad Marksman training
  • Extra grenades
  • Squad extra grenades
  • Extra ammo
  • Squad Extra ammo
THE VEHICLES

• Fast transport
    • Growler ITV
    • VDV Buggy
  • Armored transport
    • HMMWV
    • G3937 Vodnik
  • Infantry Fighting Vehicles
    • LAV-25
    • BMP-2M
  • Mobile Anti-Air
    • LAV-AD
    • 9K22 Tunguska-M
  • Main Battle Tanks
    • M1 Abrams
    • T-90
  • Scout helicopters
    • AH-6J Littlebird
    • Z-11 W
  • Transport helicopters
    • UH-1Y Venom
    • KA-60 Kasatka
  • Attack helicopters
    • AH-1Z Super Cobra
    • MI-28 Havoc
  • Fighter jets
    • F/A-18E Super Hornet
    • SU-35BM Flanker-E
  • Attack jets
    • A-10 Thunderbolt
    • SU-39
  • Naval transport
    • RHIB
  • Amphibious assault
    • AAV-7A1
VEHICLE SPECIALIZATIONS

• Coaxial MG
  • Coaxial HMG
  • Canister shells
  • Guided Shells
  • Zoom optics
  • Thermal optics
  • IR Smoke
  • Reactive armor
  • Maintenance
  • Belt speed
  • Thermal Camo
  • Auto Loader
  • Proximity scan
  • CITV station
  • ATGM launcher
  • APFSDS-T shells
  • Guided rockets
  • Air Radar
  • Heatseekers
  • Laser painter
  • TV missile
  • IR Flares
  • Extinguisher
  • ECM jammer
  • Rocket guidance system
  • Below radar
  • Guided missile
  • Beam scanning
THE MULTIPLAYER MAPS
  • 9 total including:
    • Caspian Border
    • Operation Métro
THE GAME MODES
  • Conquest
  • Conquest 64 (PC only)
  • Rush
  • Team Deathmatch
  • Squad Deathmatch
  • Squad Rush
THE RIBBONS AND MEDALS – There will be close to 100 ribbons and medals in BF3
THE DOG TAG CUSTOMIZATIONS
More than 350 personalized dogtags including:
  • Rush Ribbon
  • Recon Service Star
  • 40mm Master
  • BF2 Veteran
  • …and so much more

We seem to be the only ones that like this game anyway there will be an update happening that will have these fixes and perhaps more

* Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.
* Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.
* Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.
* Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.
* Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.
* A subtle low health screen effect has been added.
* Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.
* Tweaked the Rank progression.
* Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.
* Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.
* Framerate stability fixes.
* The 3D spotting icons has been tweaked to better match the target’s visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.
* Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.
* Non working options in squad menu fixed: "Private" flag and "Switch Teams".

Games goods, same some obvious issues but i've noticed vast improvements since the start of the beta. Prone no longer fucks up your interaction with the map and falling through the map is much more rare. I think really they just need to improve the map interaction, tweek flashlights, shine, and a few minor things and it's solid. Missing options menus and etc...will likely be fully realized in the final version so im not sweating that.

I dont know about the Tactical flashlight havent had any problems yet enemy of blinding me. Although the whole allies being able to blind you with a flashlight and laser sight is ridiculous. I can see that being a serious problem in hardcore allies are gonna blind one another and shoot each other cause their blinding themselves. The whole stop sprinting glitch when you run into something thats annoying but found a solution. The whole not being able to aim sometimes is annoying also, but found a solution to that too. I want those three things fixed most of all.

Turns out i got confused. It was the scope glint and my issue is, yes it gives away their location...but then it completely hides their body making it hard to hit them accurately.

Oh yeah I've finally gotten into the habit of tagging enemies so I use the arrow to make my shots. It took me a bit to get into tagging since I didnt really need it in the last game. The guns didn't kick nearly as much so I can finish people off fairly quickly without having to tag them just to follow. Now I go to follow them all over the place sometimes that is.

didnt need it in the last game?!?!?????..............................................................You were one of 'them'!

Had a weird glitch when playing yesterday. When in the underground sections (at the second and thrid bases) I had a graphical glitch where grey triangles would show up and block my aiming. They moved around the screen and changed shape as I moved so it wasn't a horrific problem it just was really annoying and got me killed a few times.

Back