Best of PSN (PSN matchfinder)

I started playing online again in preparation for DEV. This game is butt online, but if you play it for the right reasons and don't take it seriously, then it's okay. I'll make sure that I don't play too much online though.

Tha_Shogun, that's the attitude that you need to have. If you come in with the mindset that you are going to lose, you will lose. I don't know how well I will be playing, especially if I start drinking at 10AM, but somebody is getting bodied while I am out there.

I hope some of you online only players decide that it's time to take the skirt off and play offline. I know some of you guys don't have scenes going, but all it takes to start is 2 people and a passion for the game. And you should come to Dev if you are able to because at the end of the day, it's all about having a great time playing a game that you should love with some awesome people. Offline is where it's at.

in which they won't, so don't worry about it....

Yeah so much hype for this game!!!!!1!!1!1

Well not really, but I am hyped as shit for SC4 at Devastation. I just wish that I didn't have work, family, commitments and responsibilities to deal with so I could just go hard at Calibur. I wish I was around 10 years ago when my reflexes were sharper and could spend all day playing a video game, but I'm lucky that I can play regularly every week and have fun with the game, plus get to share some of that with those who watch us online on the livestream.

In fighting games, SSF4 now is that new hype. I been playing SF since I was 8 or 9, but I could never get into SF4. Super is a welcome improvement, but it's still not doing it for me. SC4 just fits me perfectly as a competitive game. Unfortunately, there's not many who do compete, and the level that you need to play this game at to be on the top offline is ridiculous.

Maybe there would be more hype if the game was newer, if the past greats were still around, if more people played offline, etc. but all it really takes to generate hype is for one person to challenge another. Plus the opportunity is there for new people to make a name for themselves. How come I don't see anyone coming to the East Coast to challenge anyone or calling out Thugish Pond instead of just sticking to playing people online where lag is a factor and there's no pressure?

And I'm hyped for German Nationals in July. The winner gets his name on a damn battle axe. How hot is that. But what I am really hyped for is that Ring will be competing in it. Nobody is hyped about that? I should move to Europe then.

CW: I'm not worried about it. I'm just here at work passing the time by posting a lil bit. But I'm hyped about SC4, Dev, to be able to meet some new faces in this community, and to beat somebody's ass in this game while I am out there. It's going to be an awesome time.

I wouldn't say that really lol

You're taking the all the skills you and all the other top tier offline players have for granted. Comes easy for you but it's hard for us mere mortals.

I'm not even gonna say it's just Amy because just like with SC3 and Xianghua, there's so many Amy players but what separates Thugish from them? He's winning tourneys all over the place, where are the others?

I'm not even gonna say it's just Amy because just like with SC3 and Xianghua, there's so many Amy players but what separates Thugish from them? He's winning tourneys all over the place, where are the others?
I agree but you know someones gonna bring it up

ahh, I've got good timing. So, in sc3 I wondered "how would Thugish do if he didn't use a character who was debatably broken", and wondered "how would KrayzieCD do if he used a broken character". Like, KrayzieCD maining Hwang I think woulda been #1 in the world. Now it's more like, Thugish using someone mid tier vs. JTO using someone broke....we'll never know.
edit: oh, forgot Omega (who I've never played), I'd like to see him use Amy or Hilde as opposed to a weak character, aka Zasalamel.

I swear SC3 X shits on Amy and Hilde, that bitch was hella safe. Was it 66A+BG or something would simply teleport around hilde's charges.

Naw I'd rather continue to see him actually use skill to win...

I'd like to see online players realize playing high tier =/= no skill and playing low tier =/= skill.

Take your amy or hilde offline without any skill and play some good players using lower tiered characters and you'll do badly. Tier does not reflect on skill level, rather, it's just an advantage.

I'd also like to note, tukk, that you play setsuka, a rather good character. And looking at who you set as your secondary here (though I have no way of knowing if it's actually your secondary) a Tier>skill argument would be a hard one to make.

Yeah I agree with what dest is saying... Like me and mikosu play offline all the time and he main's Tira the lowest of the low tier and I main Amy who is top tier, all that means is Amy(not me) have the advantage over Tira because Tira has a fuckton of unsafe and punishable moves. Even with this fact I still lose to mikosu's Tira simply because he's better than me in terms of overall skill which is what really counts.

I'd like to see online players realize playing high tier =/= no skill and playing low tier =/= skill.

Take your amy or hilde offline without any skill and play some good players using lower tiered characters and you'll do badly. Tier does not reflect on skill level, rather, it's just an advantage.

I'd also like to note, tukk, that you play setsuka, a rather good character. And looking at who you set as your secondary here (though I have no way of knowing if it's actually your secondary) a Tier>skill argument would be a hard one to make.

True sets is a good character, but you have to work for your wins as she is not easy to master.. So yeah, sets is a "good" character, but comparing her to amy would be ignorant... Also sets and nightmare are sort of my co-mains... That character thingy hasn't been updated in a while... And I stick to what I originally said about zas requiring skill... If you take 2 people of equal skill, one maining talim, one maining hilde, and have them do a few FT10's, guarantee the hilde player wins the majority everytime... On another note I could also call you an online player seeing that I've never seen your name at any tournaments or majors.. But I know that you probably have meets to play against people offline, which I also do.. So if I'm an "online" player, so are you...

lol something else that's funny is how offline players refer to online players like they're a lesser breed of people... Come on ya'll it's a game...
Yeah I agree with what dest is saying... Like me and mikosu play offline all the time and he main's Tira the lowest of the low tier and I main Amy who is top tier, all that means is Amy(not me) have the advantage over Tira because Tira has a fuckton of unsafe and punishable moves. Even with this fact I still lose to mikosu's Tira simply because he's better than me in terms of overall skill which is what really counts.

Yeah if mikosu mained amy and you two had mirror matches you'd get shitted on even worse... no offense...

I'm not trying to hate on anyone, but it's just hard to respect somebody as a player when their whole style revolves around 3-4 spammable moves that don't necessarily take a whole lot of thought (ie Amy or Hilde). While I agree that "low tier =/= skill," it sure is a lot more entertaining and inspiring to see somebody like Omega or Kura winning with their low tiers. Even Belial, who doesn't use a low tier character, you can clearly see that he puts a lot of thought into how he plays and there isn't a one size fits all strategy that he abuses. I'm sure underneath the tier whores that are RTD and Thugish, there are two very intelligent minds, but it sure doesn't look that way from a spectator point of view, and it's impossible to tell if they are really on the same level as some of the other players I mentioned.

Aight I'm done with my wall of text.

TDLR: Don't go straight for the most broken character in every game and expect the same level of respect as other people who do just as well as you do with more balanced characters.

Tiers do play a role in winning and losing...that's just mathematically inevitable.
As far as the human component, Tiers decide how much work you have to put in, with either more or less tools in hand.

lol something else that's funny is how offline players refer to online players like they're a lesser breed of people... Come on ya'll it's a game...

I couldn't agree with you more on that, but I do understand it at the same time lol. I went to a tourney that was hosting TvC (even got some SC4 in with a side tourney, no money to enter though) and a bunch of other games, and what I seen that wasn't displayed online that was there was the use of full punishes! I mean, it's so hard to do things like that online, I fall victim to that crap. In TvC, you couldn't make a mistake, you get punished with combo after combo if you did, but online (which is horrid!) I've played a Fire Spamming Zero that almost beat me due to the lag so I couldn't block and punish with a combo properly, something I could easily do at an offline tourney!

I think that's my biggest thing with SCIV online, not being able to punish and step properly! I mean overall it sucks alot more, and can never come close to having a good time with the peeps around you, but I think those are my two biggest things about it.

But the good side of having online for me is the fact that I get access, to peeps around the U.S. to play. It's not the full and real thing like it is face-to-face, but at least it gives me something to work with since I haven't finished making a community here.

tukk1 said:
Yeah if mikosu mained amy and you two had mirror matches you'd get shitted on even worse... no offense...

Actually we have mirrors as well and for they most part we go back n forth, can't say who has a better amy but if you asked him he'd probably say mine is better than his. He's really good with just about anyone he use, doesnt have to main them, if you asked me his main would be Mitsurugi and not tira. I love fighting his rugi because it's a beast!

I couldn't agree with you more on that, but I do understand it at the same time lol. I went to a tourney that was hosting TvC (even got some SC4 in with a side tourney, no money to enter though) and a bunch of other games, and what I seen that wasn't displayed online that was there was the use of full punishes! I mean, it's so hard to do things like that online, I fall victim to that crap. In TvC, you couldn't make a mistake, you get punished with combo after combo if you did, but online (which is horrid!) I've played a Fire Spamming Zero that almost beat me due to the lag so I couldn't block and punish with a combo properly, something I could easily do at an offline tourney!

I think that's my biggest thing with SCIV online, not being able to punish and step properly! I mean overall it sucks alot more, and can never come close to having a good time with the peeps around you, but I think those are my two biggest things about it.

But the good side of having online for me is the fact that I get access, to peeps around the U.S. to play. It's not the full and real thing like it is face-to-face, but at least it gives me something to work with since I haven't finished making a community here.

I hope SC5 does what SSF4 did and match you up with people closer in your area I get sick and tired of connection errors online it still wont be perfect but I think it would make a huge difference for a lot of players :)

Back