Bushido Blade: Should it come back?

Mamoru_Hasukage

[10] Knight
This is more or less just me posting something that I would like to make as a game.

If you are not familiar with Bushido Blade, it was a series of 2 games on the ps1 that was known for amazing collision detection and using the idea if a sword gets you in the face, you are dead. PERIOD. It is highly regarded and is one of the overlooked fighting games of that generation. Why do I bring this game up?

I want to make a new one but better!

Would it be "Bushido Blade" persay? Maybe not, but I would love to buy the rights to it so I can get a team to work on it. I would have a story mode that makes you create a character as well as the roster that is already there. Much like the originals, it would not matter as much who you chose as a character (though I would have stats to back up the choice of who and what they are good with) but the choice in the many weapons is what would matter. A game like Bushiod Blade could have lasted an hour or even a few second depending on how well thought out your moves were.

As a community who loves games about souls and swords, what do you think of this Idea? Should one of my games be an quest to remake and revolutionize the fighting game market by making a game that is or like Bushido blade? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Well, it could be good, but nothing gets me going better than a good arcade game like Soul Calibur.

I prefer my games to not be super realistic, I like bouncy females and no blood :P

But I like a huge depths of moves and lots of stuff to memorize and adapt to.

Kengo is apparently the successor to Bushido Blade 2. All of them turned out to be remarkably terrible.

As for a remake to BB, I'm pretty sure enough people are jaded by the current fighting game oligopoly to play it.

Kengo is apparently the successor to Bushido Blade 2. All of them turned out to be remarkably terrible.

As for a remake to BB, I'm pretty sure enough people are jaded by the current fighting game oligopoly to play it.
There is a market for it. With how fighting games are going, at the very least it will be a breath of fresh air.

Kengo lacked something that the BB games had: Collision detection and well made animations. Kengo was choppy at best.

The only other games to try their hands at this kind of game are the recent download games from deadliest warrior. The problem with those is that the AI is stupidly difficult and the controls are stiff.

Knowing these faults, I know what I can do to prevent these. More over, If i have a number of weapons that all balance the gameplay, I think it will not only revolutionize the market for fighting games, but would have a pretty long lasting life span.

To that end good luck. Provided the art style is appealing to me I would buy it. Of course I do not buy games that's art is super realistic, but that is me.

To that end good luck. Provided the art style is appealing to me I would buy it. Of course I do not buy games that's art is super realistic, but that is me.
A game like this, I would probably use some form of cell shading. Or perhaps something similar to Soul Calibur in the way of a realistic anime style.

There is a market for it. With how fighting games are going, at the very least it will be a breath of fresh air.

Kengo lacked something that the BB games had: Collision detection and well made animations. Kengo was choppy at best.

The only other games to try their hands at this kind of game are the recent download games from deadliest warrior. The problem with those is that the AI is stupidly difficult and the controls are stiff.

Knowing these faults, I know what I can do to prevent these. More over, If i have a number of weapons that all balance the gameplay, I think it will not only revolutionize the market for fighting games, but would have a pretty long lasting life span.

I was gonna point those out. I dunno. There might be a market for it. Myself, I don't enjoy realistic shooters and I doubt I'd enjoy a game where after 2 minutes of loading screens a match can end in 3 seconds. But to each their own.

I was gonna point those out. I dunno. There might be a market for it. Myself, I don't enjoy realistic shooters and I doubt I'd enjoy a game where after 2 minutes of loading screens a match can end in 3 seconds. But to each their own.
I would suggest looking up some gameplay of bushido blade 1 and 2. It is much more free form than you think. It can last anywhere from 2 seconds to an hour. It i like a real fight in that sense.

Bushido Blade was my favorite fighter of all time, especially the first one. The second looked tons better but the first, in story mode, had a rather massive world to run around in while avoiding your enemies (up until you reached the sewer). It was definitely more my type of fighter. I'm not big into combos... I like to wait for the right time to strike and sometimes like to play dirty (throwing sand/dirt/items and incapacitating the opponent).

Bushido Blade needs to be brought back. They can redo the open-ish environment of story mode without making the areas render individually. They can do a lot more in terms of how strikes effect the opponent visually and physically now as well.

It's odd. I was actually thinking of this just yesterday and played a bit myself.

Side note. I prefer the more serious nature of number 1 over number 2. I do not want a purple-suited man in an afro in the game again. I also want Katze to be a more dark-personality. x3

In terms of style, I want something the reflect the more serious nature of Bushido Blade. I don't think cel-shading could offer what I'm trying to get at. SC's style could... but with more drab, drowned out colors like Resident Evil. I want to see cloth shred when slashed, believable bandages. ;~; I want a new Bushidoooo!

The Yoshida Brothers HAVE to do the music.

Snipysnip!
Good call on the yoshida brothers. If they are still in the biz once I get myself in the door, I would call them up for sure. I would also have others help with the music to give it plenty of flavor as well.

I would have the time period be near the end of the sengoku era. The options with who you choose to ally yourself with would open the door for a lot of weapons and character diversity in the creation. You could also be a ronin, ashigaru, warrior monk and other starter class would be permitted within my version of the game. This would dictate what your first weapon would be.

Say if you were a ronin- you would have your choice of weakened versions of different katana and wakizashi

If you were a warrior monk- pole arms would be your first option available.

I am sitting on a lot for notes right now but if anyone has any suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

A remake of Busido Blade would be pretty epic, I loved that game. I just think that more European weapons should be included, I know it wouldn't really fit with the area or anything; I just have an affinity for European things. To be able to include weapons from around the world in that type of combat would make for a truly interesting game. Being able to pick your armor would be sweet too, just give speed penalties per armor tier (light, med-light, medium, etc).

A remake of Busido Blade would be pretty epic, I loved that game. I just think that more European weapons should be included, I know it wouldn't really fit with the area or anything; I just have an affinity for European things. To be able to include weapons from around the world in that type of combat would make for a truly interesting game. Being able to pick your armor would be sweet too, just give speed penalties per armor tier (light, med-light, medium, etc).
The armor idea I have been messing about with. I have the idea of putting a stamina bar in so the armor should affect the stamina as well.

As for weapons from the west, I would most likely not put them in the first installment. At least not a lot of them. Perhaps something like a long sword or perhaps a short sword, but nothing like a raipier or a mourning star.

Yes, yes it should. If you are in a position where you could possibly get this going, you should go for it! Bushido Blade comes up enough that it should be picked up by the general fighting game community. It's also one of the games I want to come back because there is just nothing like it.

Back