Cervantes de Leon T-Shirt By Insert Coin Clothing

While everyone was busy watching the Soulcalibur V stream yesterday, and in between the announcements that I posted on the SoulCalibur Facebook page for the stream, this piece of news was announced.

Insert Coin Clothing was approached by Namco Bandai Games to produce official t-shirts for the franchise to coincide with the launch of Soulcalibur V, with their first design being one of Cervantes de Leon. If you are a Cervantes fan, looking to represent Soulcalibur, or just looking for a cool t-shirt to wear, then look for this shirt when it becomes available sometime in the first quarter of 2012.

scv-blog.jpg

Article

I was just complaining about the lack of SCV merchandise earlier this week. Looks like someone beat me to t-shirt designs. :<

I was just complaining about the lack of SCV merchandise earlier this week. Looks like someone beat me to t-shirt designs. :<

There's nothing stopping you from making your own, except for maybe lawyers.

While it's cool this shirt doesn't exactly scream out SoulCalibur. I would have prefered if they used official art or Namco artists to design it, because it doesn't look like they did...

While it's cool this shirt doesn't exactly scream out SoulCalibur. I would have prefered if they used official art or Namco artists to design it, because it doesn't look like they did...
I actually like that it is a separate artistic take on it. Of course, it’s a moot point for me because I literally never wear graphic tees, but if I did I’d want them to be more stylized and subtle than outright advertisements.

On the other hand, I completely agree that SC is pretty light on the merchandise and more offerings with the official designs would be welcome. But my opinion doesn’t matter, because once again... I don’t buy most forms of game / film / whatever merchandise either. Just the content (main medium, sometimes soundtrack).

I actually like this design. I hate to say it, but Soul Calibur's art-style, while cool, is too straightforward to look anything but cheesy on a t-shirt in this day and age. In a time where things are being broken down and become more simple, more graphic, a shirt like this not only looks appropriate for the year 2012, but retains enough relevancy so that a Soul Calibur fan could spot it in the wild and say "Fuck yeah!" in his head.

I'm a graphic designer, and let me tell you - it ain't easy to just show up and design a shirt. There's so many more variables outside of it looking cool.

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back