Cervantes General Discussion

Ok, i didnt want to be pessimistic, but Oh man all of Cervy''s best tools in this game where nerfed to the ground, like here let me make a list.
  • aB is slower.
  • 3B doesn't launch at anything but close range even with counter hit.
  • iGDR doesn't launch the same way and no longer launches at tip.
  • 1aB is slow as molasses and no longer has the CH JF for damage.
  • BT B+K no longer stuns long enough for 3B launches.
  • Inputting 66A+G gets you that useless at mid-screen throw so he can no longer just run up and grab for damage or is made unnecessarily annoying to.
  • WR B no longer gets you anything but aB or 2A+B at only close ranges.
  • 4b Brave edge is now the second input of 44_77BB during SC only.
  • 3A no longer knocks down.
  • You can no longer get iGDR from a move into Dread charge transition (yet they introduced a million).
  • 44_77K no longer knock down on CH.
  • 2A+B no longer launches on CH, has to be a lethal hit (the lethal hit only works when you gain frame advantage from your last move and then get a CH with this).
Cervantes didn't get nerfs in all aspects at least. He got some decent moves back ,some decent new moves and a few did get better.
  • 99_33B launches on hit
  • Moves out of Dread charge are a bit faster
  • WR A is a decent but punishable move that can combo into 6AB or 4KK.
  • Jump B is a good jumping launcher.
  • 1A is good for catching techers and is a high-crushing low sweep, albeit somewhat slow.
  • WR B hits grounded
  • Universal AAA buff. 3rd hit existing to throw people off.
  • 4KK B+K is incredibly easy to do now.
  • DC A has excellent range and is a horizontal mid and makes dread charge no longer sidestep fodder.
  • 6BB is faster and can be used in stun combos for wallsplats or ringouts.
  • a6 existing. Fast and safe mid horizontal with decent range.
But all in all, the nerfs outweigh the buffs, I do not think this iteration of his is a candidate for top tier, unless he gets buffed in later patches or some crazy tech is revealed.

Last edited:
Yeah, those are the moves I'm using or trying to use, but having trouble executing simple slide inputs like aB and bK as well as kA (which is tricky to do on a controller).
Do you have problems with the execution after a move or straight out standing? After moves the slide moves don't work for some reason, like for example after the 66A+G throw.
For the kA slide, use A+B shoulder button instead of A. Works for me

After a few days with Cervy I think he still very good and suitable with compact style. The addition of 1aB:B make 1aB safer due to the next B have the potential for huge combo so people don't want to deal with that. Cervy in this version does not have to worry about find damage his low poke tool still very good 1aB, 11K, 2k, 2a..

Although his aB slower but he gains A6 which anti step and push back on block to deal with close pressure. 66a+g has huge potential when near the wall and ring out pressure because it's unbreakable.

For B2 after 12 shots lethal hit I found out that even the shot you miss the game still count. I do 8a+b alot and everytime I shot I hear the tick like in the clock, I know that the game count.

For Soul Charge basically they give us free GDR, after SC, just 214B 4B or 6B for GDR Break Attack, it track a bit and can be side step then SC 214B 4A or 6A come in for lethal hit. Because SC GDR 4B or 6B Break Attack so we can create pressure freely, people force to go to us to stop the GDR that make SC 66B teleport or b[K] shine. Just battle with 7000 RP point yoshimitsu I just have nearly 500 RP and still win. By the way we can bait Yoshi play to CE and side step 33B or 3B, his CE very easy to side step unless we already on the attack animation.

Cervy now doesn't need iGDR to get damage, I really like it.

Last edited:
Yeah, those are the moves I'm using or trying to use, but having trouble executing simple slide inputs like aB and bK as well as kA (which is tricky to do on a controller).
Is it wrong if i said I use my A+B macro on the controller? kA is hard for me to do so i just do kA+B and it works.

For B2 after 12 shots lethal hit I found out that even the shot you miss the game still count. I do 8a+b alot and everytime I shot I hear the tick like in the clock, I know that the game count.
But the description says it has to hit and you can also shoot as many times in the air as you want in practice mode, you don't get the LH

Is it wrong if i said I use my A+B macro on the controller? kA is hard for me to do so i just do kA+B and it works.
I have A+B bound and I would usually bound B+G since my thumb can’t twist certain ways. But since B+G isn’t needed anymore I just leave RE on the old B+G button (yes, I know they are the same input).

I'm pretty sure the gunshots need to connect for the B2 lethal hit tally. The first thing i tried was whiffing 8A+B in training and the lethal hit didn't activate.

I'm pretty sure the gunshots need to connect for the B2 lethal hit tally. The first thing i tried was whiffing 8A+B in training and the lethal hit didn't activate.

But the description says it has to hit and you can also shoot as many times in the air as you want in practice mode, you don't get the LH

My bad, I miscount some shots it's indeed have to shot to the people to get the Lethal Hit.

For aB I use aB+K, for bK I just use bK. My gamepad is Dualshock so it's not too hard to press Triangle and O.

For kA I use kA+B, for bA I use bA+B. In some move like 66a+g it seems that we have to press more precise to get the right inputs.

My bad, I miscount some shots it's indeed have to shot to the people to get the Lethal Hit.

For aB I use aB+K, for bK I just use bK. My gamepad is Dualshock so it's not too hard to press Triangle and O.

For kA I use kA+B, for bA I use bA+B. In some move like 66a+g it seems that we have to press more precise to get the right inputs.

I'll give that a try. I use a Dualshock controller too, but I normally just try to run my thumb across the buttons and hope for the best.

Am I the only one who sees a lot of potential in b[K] while in soul charge? It feels like it brings back the entire 50/50 mix up 4b BE did with a back throw or BT B+K when it gets blocked. It also closes gaps between an opponent running away from you while in soul charge.

Gave it a shot and it works okay, sometimes I end up activating CE instead. But the kA+B feels a lot easier to execute this way.

While 1[ B ] stacks 3 gunshots toward your next B2 lethal I'd rather go for DC B, BT B+K, 2[B+K] after kA !LH.

I haven't found a place where 1[ B ] could be the best option. Even doing a CE would be considered meter waste as the dmg dampening is already bad by then.

But that's just me. What are your thoughts guys?

While 1[ B ] stacks 3 gunshots toward your next B2 lethal I'd rather go for DC B, BT B+K, 2[B+K] after kA !LH.

I haven't found a place where 1[ B ] could be the best option. Even doing a CE would be considered meter waste as the dmg dampening is already bad by then.

But that's just me. What are your thoughts guys?

The best time to do 1 for me would be after the kA lethal hit. But even then it's probably a lot easier to do 4A+B and follow up with iGDR or 44K or whatever.

It could be used after B2 Lethal Hit. I haven't experimented with other combos though, And honestly after B2 lethal hit it might not be needed cos you already have done the lethal hit lol.

I guess it's pretty good after 33B but they have to not Ukemi.

1{B} only works when somebody doesn't tech anywhere after BT B+K or the kA lethal hit.

However, I have been able to do something like this in training mode for people who love teching

3B>iGDR>BT B+K>1B>CE(catches FBLR techs, misses if they stay grounded)

This was consistent in mirrors, but left and right tech might make the CE miss on little wenches like Talim.

I have been playing Cervantes since forever but cant seem to figure his version of 6, what are good punishment moves and whats his best out of pressure move? I tried almost everything but most seems unsafe when up close. His normal strings are too slow and predictable, if he has some trick I havent figured it out.

His best punisher is iGDR. Or you can use 6B for a lot of basic punishment along with A6. WS A is good, 6AB is good, and 6AA is great for catching steppers off guard.

Other than that, I'm with you in trying to find things to use. I haven't been punished too much for throwing stuff out (especially 1A). A lot of players I've played online tend to eat a lot of 6BB, though.

EDIT:

I've decided that after 3B and similar launchers, it's best to just B2 it when you can rather than iGDR. So much damage, post-launch, is generally pretty similar and minus three of four points, the payoff on getting a lethal hit on gunshot works out to be better in the long run.

That said, iGDR is still good for punishing and combo filler.

Oh man the more I play Cervantes the more powerful he feels to me. His closeup tools are really good. He is always a thread on range with the iGDR whiff punish. His soul charge seems solid (hard to compare SC at this point). Damage is insane.
The satisfaction of hitting those iGDR's is just awesome.
Its way to early for any tier predictions, but I put Cervantes in the top 5 up there with Ivy, Zasalamel and Yoshimitsu

saw in the framedata thet you're CE A+B+K is -18 but after testing its -16 can punish with my CE wich is i16 but not with 3B wich i18. how did you guys do the - on block? bc -18 is a i18 punish not i18 to block

Oh man the more I play Cervantes the more powerful he feels to me. His closeup tools are really good. He is always a thread on range with the iGDR whiff punish. His soul charge seems solid (hard to compare SC at this point). Damage is insane.
The satisfaction of hitting those iGDR's is just awesome.
Its way to early for any tier predictions, but I put Cervantes in the top 5 up there with Ivy, Zasalamel and Yoshimitsu

He's top 10 in my opinion, you're always struggle vs good zoning character: Cervy now doesn't have move plus frame like BE 4B like in SC5, it's pretty hard to get closer. And most of his damaging tool require lethal hit from kA or 2A+B. In order to get lethal hit from kA you have to GI and do it immediately similar to hit confirmed combo in Street Fighter 5.

Only in Soul Charge, when DC become Break Attack, it's easy for us to apply pressure.
When in close range, Cervy in a beast with many fairly safe low mid poking move: 1aBB, 11K, 22A+B, 1A, 1K .... mix up with 3B, 66A+G, grab... for huge combo. But in further range, beside of iGDR which hard to execute in time, any other moves which have range just slow or unsafe.

Cervy hard match up will be: Ivy, Zasalamel, Kilik, Azwel, Sophitia (she can punish most Cervy move), Raphael (long range, run away cheap shot), Tira (don't know much about in SC6 but if her gameplay similar to SC5 she's still a zoning character)

1 more thing: Cervy Break Attack A+B suck, beside of post GI useful, you will never use it.

Back