Cervantes Matchup: Discussion

I dont know where you get your experience from, but you are quite wrong imo. I dont want to play the elitist asshole (but i still do! :P ), but its basically the complete opposite of what you said. I play both characters on a high level and Alpha seems like a pretty hard matchup for Cervantes. Maybe worst in the game.

Alpha can punish basically ANYTHING with 75 DMG, JF Twister twice punished the majority of Cervantes movelist. I think this is the fast Move you mean, but its not used the way you think. Its punishement only. Under no circumstances you should be in Alphas face, his close range game is near to broken. This includes throws, safe mids etc. Alpha is extremely safe, there is nothing to punish except ducked throws. But once you start ducking too much, its GG. Alphas mids are devastating.

Cervantes WS A+B BE is a gimmick on block, since you can step last hit. Also DC A is really reactable. As i said you dont want to fight Alpha close range. His weakness is long range antisteps, which is Cervantes big strenght. So you should space, step a lot, try to whiffpunish missed 33Bs etc.

I will play a good Cervantes this weekend and see how he deals with my aPAT. Then i'll write more :)
thank you i will try to adjust as you said and see what's happen :D

thank you i will try to adjust as you said and see what's happen :D

No problem, depending on who you play of course its different. Play to win, but if you ever face a really good aPAT you will see he is a pain in the ass for Cervantes...

44B is going to lose to SCH B at the very least. Possibly SCH A, too. If your opponent simply guards, you'll obviously need a faster option if you want to hit him, though it'll likely mean taking on a little more risk. Any mixup in this situation is still in Cervantes' favor, though, due to his sheer damage output.

Definitely excited for more info on this matchup, doc. I think aPat is the only other character in the game remotely close to the pirate in terms of overall dickishness, but I have very little experience in dealing with him.

With a decent amount of reflex he will find himself eating A+B/B+K for every long range move he tries to spam on you. Pretty much what Brian said.

Also if possible try to maintain distance against him. He has so many options up close enough to mess you up. And if possible always try to wait for him to take the initiative. From far he has limited options.

dunno why but I really feel 6A+B is a decent tool for getting Astaroth off you. Still need to test whether this proves true.

For every successful Command throw duck, WS B+K will take a large chunk of damage from him, more if it's counter hit + Clean Hit.

For every successful Crouch throw, our typical iGDR combo.

This matchup is very interesting indeed just for the fact that almost everything is 50/50. The one that makes the guess is the one that takes the advantage.

idk if it was lag, but a friend of mine was abusing the holy hell out of her 236 B and I couldn't find an answer to it. Any suggestions?

It seems Cervantes only punish against 3B on block is his CE. But yeah it costs 1 meter, which you don't always have.

As for 236B, you can punish it from all distances with aB and if you have meter, CE.

Xiba's 6b,k_6b,k,* is really annoying to deal with. You can't sidestep the first hit, can't sidestep the 2nd hit if you blocked the first hit, nor sidestep the last hit of the be version if you blocked the first 2 hits. Also all of them are mid hits and are safe on block.

What makes it even worse, is that if you just guard the 2nd hit after you blocked the first one, sometimes you will suddenly be back turned, which is really gay.

The only reliable things I found against it is, to either interrupt between the 1st and 2nd hit with aB which has to be done really fast. 2nd thing is to gi the 2nd hit, but if they have meter, they can gi back of course.

Yeah that's his only somewhat non interrupt-able variation of the others. But remember if you see the followup and you have bar just GI and punish him, if he notices and reGI then it's time for some mind games and damage increase out of it. Also a random fact: if he's reGIng then that's good for you because you dont have to worry about random GIng CE's on you due to him wasting bar. So feel free to rushdown. :)

For the other variations do use aB as it interrupts the kick/BE.

Lastly, I wouldn't recommend interrupting 6B, K as most of the time you will simply trade hits with his K, take a lot more damage than him and will get stunned. Giving him wakeup game or simply combo followup.

Edit (April/19/2012): 6AK/6BK - aren't longer frame traps for Cervantes (After 1.02 patch?). Simply buffer 3A/aB during 6A_6B's blockstun and you will interrupt his K without problem.

Anti-REM strategy: 22_88K will kill his REM mixup. Just make sure to step to his right (88K left side/22K right side) when he's about to attack.

Astaroth vs Cervantes is stupid. Becomes nothing more than rock paper scissors on speed. Feels like I'm playing DOA lol.

By "abusing" 236B are you talking about him throwing it out randomly or punishing you for unsafety?

Against 236AA and 236AA BE, just aGI the second hit. Negates the whole mess. I know it's in the aGI thread, but I figured it's worth putting here, too.

This matchup feels like it should be in Cervy's favor. Honestly, Lexy just has a hard time keeping up damage wise. She can mix him up and pressure as always, but because of Cervy's ridiculous damage output, one mistake will likely even out the match at any point in the round. Mostly meterless damage too.

Can anyone give more tips about counter Maxi. I really have troubles with his RO A[K] and RO AK mix up. After he uses RO A[K] he continue with 44B and RO AK or A[K] again. If i try to side step 44B after RO A[K] he will switch to 6A to catch side step. It's really hard to guard everyhit because it damage our soul gauge alot and one missed step you will eat a whole counter hit combos.

Apologies if this already mentioned but I found a glitch against Alpha. WR A+B on hit, the last hit (lunging stab) is always blocked even on hit. I told Daishi about this yesterday at the SC Impact tourney, and whether it will be fixed in the upcoming patch. He couldn't remember but thinks it will be fixed, but if not it will have to be at the next update. So if it's not fixed I guess we'll have to use something else to punish Alphas highs.

On a side note, Ring messed me up with his Alpha the other day. I'm gonna keep a close eye on this thread now, too bad we don't have a top Alpha player in the UK to practice against :-)

On a side note, Ring messed me up with his Alpha the other day. I'm gonna keep a close eye on this thread now, too bad we don't have a top Alpha player in the UK to practice against :-)

Lol this is a diss, right ? :P Pretty clever....

Problem against Alpha is, my main 1AB-shit gameplan gets so risky. Alpha gets a agB on a blocked 1AB. 130 DMG punishment. BUT i think a lot of moves are quite hard to punish, even when they are -13 etc.

I hope i will play some games against Maxou soon i guess, im playing a lot of Cervantes these days. It will be online, though. But enough to test this matchup. But online is REALLY decent in SC5, punishing etc all works. This comes from a guy who hasnt touched online in SC4 1 week after it was released.

So to all elitist top players, online is quite good :)

Back