Cervy match vids Comment & Critique

i actually landed that into a wall splat today which i followed be 3 8A+B:B+K iGDR i got a lucky angle, god i wish i recorded that

i report here suggestions i've wrote in the first thread:

watched the 'Mitsi vs Cervy part 2' video.
i'm gonna give rob some hints to improve his cervy,
first of all, w/out offence, i think you play quite randomly, you need to set up some strategies/mixups, and learn to punish. you're so predictable, your opponent can GI and anticipate you w/out problems. so:
- 4A+B, 4B+K, 214A: these moves suck, no way you can use them against a decent player, especially at neutral position;
- BBB: learn to hit confirm the CH, you will be punished so bad if you let your opponent guard last B;
- WS BB: that move is a chunk of bullshit, cervy has way better options from crouched, for ex. 6K, WR K, CT, FC A+BBB, and pokes in general;

you actually need to add so much cervy moves in your arsenal, here imho some useful moves you should use:
- 1K: it starts crouched mixups, that are vital in cervy's game; unsafe like most of the pirate moves, anyways;
- aB: i13 punisher, godly, don't trow it out of the blue, cuz its hard punishable. it leaves you at slightly disadvantage even on it.
- 44B: it steps backwards and hit, unsafe but it doesn't matter if you use it properly;
- iGDR: need some pratice to do it consistently, excellent for punish opponent's mistakes, after whiffing too. soooo unsafe, use it with caution;
- iTP: as above, master this move and you will kick some asses;
- FC A+BBBBBBBB: the GC version, leaves you at +13 frames, on edge/wall guarantees a free aB!
- 66K: fast & safe mid kick, on CH can combo with 11B;
- 11B: not fast, but safe and kill SG;
- B2: as a poke is a nice move, imho, TC. in general w/ cervy all pokes are vital, remember it;
- CT: trow that can be done fastly w/out crouching (iCT), or can be a mixup after moves like 1K, 2A, 11K etcetera;
- 3A+B: safe, TC, step killer;
- bK: TJ, leaves you at +0, so you can set up interesting mixup on this;
- 2A+B: unsafe, but not too much, that start nice combos.

i hope my hints will help you, rob :)
btw, watch the combo thread, too

You don't have to entirely abandon 214 A imo, but you've got to train them on something else hardbody before you start using it. 44aB is good for this. Also worth noting that 44aB will just HIT some people, test them for that early on lol. They will be UPSET.

But yeah just DOING 214A will get you nowhere fast. It's a once per set kind of thing, especially useful for people that don't play online a lot, and aren't used to seeing internet Cervy use it 3 times a round. Just understand the risk it carries offline.

Oh and at max range (WS B tip range) try WS B first hit only on block, backdash and see what they do. It makes no sense frame wise, but they're waiting for the 2nd hit so you may manage to backstep > iGDR something. But yes as Kyam said if you're just DOING WS BB, you may as well use WS A or FC A+B:Bmash instead, much higher gain from those moves.

There's a whole thread somewhere on using b2 as a poke, another move that makes no sense frame wise, but can be applied as long as you understand the risks.

214A imo is good to bait people from max to far midrange, it has almost zero recovery, similar to 44A...so you can for a very risky iGDR or other fast options...in SC3 you could instant cancel 214 and mix up 214A with 214~G~44aB, unfortunaley thats useless in SC4...

throwing it out on close range again + no followup at all of course is not that clever :P

Oh and at max range (WS B tip range) try WS B first hit only on block, backdash and see what they do. It makes no sense frame wise, but they're waiting for the 2nd hit so you may manage to backstep > iGDR something. .

oh, i'll try this.

214A imo is good to bait people from max to far midrange, it has almost zero recovery, similar to 44A...so you can for a very risky iGDR or other fast options...

you're in right, dude, but depends on chars you're fighting..
i often fight a taki player (atm unfortunately the only offline player), who, when sees the very predictable 214A animation, rapes me with some ninja stuff, on close range TC moves like 66K, on max range jumps + various combos..
but i'll keep in mind what you've said.

This is my first video post. It is online and our connection *was* a factor, but its the best I can do as I'm not in touch with my offline scene yet. Anyway I'll be working on getting offline videos up in the future.

From watching this I can see I threw out a lot of grabs and FC A+B wiffs. I also seemed to wake up with WS A a bit too often.

Punishing was kind of hard since online was preventing me from punishing some -17s, but it is still something I need to work on. Also he didn't include any of the matches where I used 1k, but he was pretty good at blocking that anyway. I think I used 44K to much too.

Anyway =x yeah what do you all think?

(P.s. its not my video and not our full ft10 but its me and bifordus maximus)

This is my first video post. It is online and our connection *was* a factor, but its the best I can do as I'm not in touch with my offline scene yet. Anyway I'll be working on getting offline videos up in the future.

From watching this I can see I threw out a lot of grabs and FC A+B wiffs. I also seemed to wake up with WS A a bit too often.

Punishing was kind of hard since online was preventing me from punishing some -17s, but it is still something I need to work on. Also he didn't include any of the matches where I used 1k, but he was pretty good at blocking that anyway. I think I used 44K to much too.

Anyway =x yeah what do you all think?

(P.s. its not my video and not our full ft10 but its me and bifordus maximus)
first of all: WTF?!? your cervy looks like a kilik w/ bandage XD
seriously, i actually think you're good, not so predictable like tons of online cervys. you master nicely JFs, also.
the only thing i feel to suggest you, is to use more bKs, to get easily in her face, at 0/0 advantage, and to poke more;
that's against long range chars like mina.
anyway, i know using cervy online is a pain in the ass due to his technical game style :'(

Yeah it didn't show well in there but I do use bK a decent amount and B2 as well, but he was punishing me faster then what I usually do. I tried mixing it up later, but it was still pretty risky.

This is the other part of that video. It shows me using bK more and B2. I use bK -> B2 to try to bait people into attacking at disadvantage, it usually works but so far I've only done the B series to punish.. I could probably do something more damaging but I haven't worked on it that much. That and I don't know how well that tactic works outside of online.

This set of matches show cases a better amount of my mistakes but keep in mind some of them *are* due to lag issues. I don't have perfect execution or even close, but sometimes I feel insulted by what I see come out online.

i dont know you played rather unsafe didnt punish or brake grabs for the most part, your pretty good but i think the lack of knowledge your opponent had for cervy greatly helped you and if you going to use FC A+BBBBBBB make sure your not going to miss it more then you get it. :) nevertheless i enjoyed it

heres some of me last week wasnt my best but you know, also i want some constructive critizism too :(

I don't really know how much I can say since you're obviously much better then I and the only video that worked was the first link (the others have malformed IDs?), but you didn't 1k or command grab in that match at all.

You probably have a reason so take that as just a respectful and curious observation. If you did have a reason maybe you could share it so I can realize it and maybe it will help my game?

Also as for the comment about my FC A+Bbbbbb ^^; I don't have a stick and even with my shoulder buttons bound to Bs its hard to get out more then like 65% >.< Also I don't really know what I should be doing after it, I know against a wall or edge AA or aB is guaranteed but what about when its not?

Thank you for your tips and I hope my humble insight may help even in a slight way =D

Edit: This is the reason Youtube is giving for not letting me view the video: "The URL contained a malformed video ID."

oh i sisnt really feel the 1K's and grabs where neccesary also if you do a normal B+G and cancel it with G (very hard) you can get more dmg if you watch the combo videos on my acount youll see. And i suggest after they block and there not in rage for the free dmg 44K safe and now i15, 66B now i5 so not steppable and hard to GI, 11A just fish for a CH if you can hit detect it, Bk can put you in some frame traps, and charge in and do somethen clever. If you watch other matches youll how i use them and i use the move so much cause it keeps them in check so they cant sit there and block as much kinda can get them to be more reckless somtimes. There more im just to lazy to type more :)

@ Spitfeyere: i've more appreciated your first video.
in the last one you seem to play more unsafe and predictable. maybe is just the lag.
suggestions: don't trow out of the blue moves like aB (if not for punishing) or WRBB.
at the most, aB can be used at max range, but no in your opponent face.
then stop using WRBB, it's crap.. and try to vary mixups more.. for ex. you used to do every time B2 after a blocked bK.
for the rest, i think that your lack of punishments is due to online.
long story short, take these comments as you want, are just online matches.

@ babalook: i enjoyed your videos. very entertaining maches, full of JFs, on both parts.
personally i have a different playstyle, i use to poke much more, but i really like your cervy, he is very dinamic, plus you've superb JFs execution. then i love how you can land wall combos in each different way.

babalook i think youre a bit overusing FC A+BBB, which makey your game to linear...

A good player would poke a lot more and so wouldnt give you the time to do all the FC A+BBBs or just turtle like hell because he doesnt have to fear Throws or 1K Mixups...

Imo you need to mix it up a bit more in order to built up some pressure, i didnt think there were any mindgames in your game, it was _WAY_ to predictable..

You got anything what a good cervyplayer needs, the execution, you know his Blockstuns etc, but you should mix it up a lot more otherwise a good offlineplayer would give you a lot of trouble...just imagine how much ch 3As an aggressive Mitsu would get if you always go for the iFC A+BBB...

Imo you need to use more 2A+B, 1K, more pokes and throws, more 6A, 44B etc...just mix it up a bit more, apart from that pretty nice videos, especially for online!

Some irony, I haven't played in a really long time up till last night, and I was doing a ton of WS B,B for some reason.

Spoiler: it didn't work. Q.Q

i know i thats what i ment how i was haveing a off day i wasnt really thinking about mixing it up haha and i have had some people try to poke me out of it and i normally will cut back a that time and see if i can fish more CH's

Back