Character Selection

I played Kilik in the original SC... so I have mained him in every subsequent game in the series. I basically picked him because my brother used NM/Sig and I thought a character who could play at the same range but used a bo instead of a massive sword was a nice contrast. xD

My secondary has changed from game to game though... SC1 was Mitsu, 2 was Yoshi, and 3 was Maxi. Cass is currently my (scrubby) secondary in SC4.

The biggest problem I face in any game is sticking with characters. Since SCIV was released i've played with, i think, 14 characters as my "main". And right now I'm very undecided and can't pick a character. I play very well with many characters, but I haven't truly settled down to completely master a character.
Then don't pick one. Become the master of all trades instead.

I wish I could get good with Talim...I went to all the trouble to make her look sexy, I'd like to get some mileage out of it.

You can't make Talim sexy. That's wrong on so many levels.

I started off with SC3 and had a huge selection. So naturally I narrowed it down by who looked awesome. I picked Setsuka for the umbrella and got pretty good with her on that game. SC4 is a different story with her.
Naturally I picked Raph because he's scarily camp, like moi sometimes. And then Amy because she's a mini Raph and has a nice outfit.
I don't have mains because I can never stick to one character in SC. I generally switch between Amy, Raph, Taki, Soph, Cassy, Mi-na, X, Talim and Ivy (i play all the girls for some reason).
I found myself using Hilde because she has an unusual style but she peeees me off so bad. I made a CaS to replace her.

Yay my first post here! Cirex... You're Exazz right?

I actually have the opposite problem. I have a hard time not choosing my main and have to force myself to really learn other characters.

I'm exactly the same. I have to force myself to play and learn anyone else not Mitsu. I've been using him since Soul Blade, and even though some folks think he is pretty mind-dead to play, I get bored with playing other characters and immediantly want to go back to playing with him.

I don't really know why. I could care less about a character's look, and personality. The style is what is important to me and how they play. And my character play style choices never seem to match to game to game, I use Guile in SF, Paul in Tekken, Ky in GG, Brad in VF5, Cyclops, Storm and Cable in MvC2... I generally avoid heavy grapplers and fast pixies, though preferring to play a character is well-rounded.

I find that obsessions over Amy even more disturbing. Amy is like what? 12?

Amy age is irrelevant, since she's not real at all. They could say she's 7 or 47, it's just random data with no impact on how she really looks. The profile could say Hilde is 15, 18 (her "real" age) or 30 and it wouldn't change anything, don't you think?

This leads me to that "Raphael is a pedo!" discussion. We are talking aout the XVI century. There have been 12-15 years old queens in any European royalty, so that statement is just silly, considering the context -> Videogame set in a fantasy past.

I always used to play Mina and Yun Because I'm Half Korean, Myself. Just some kind of pride thing. And In the previous games, I liked Mina's Move-sets. In IV she just seems like a slower half of Kilik. Her Moves were shuffled around... And I dunno. She doesn't seem as interesting. I Miss X. I always liked her, but in IV I'm having trouble dealing with her lower-priority attacks...

But then I like playing the underdog. Right now my 'Main' is Tira. Never see her played much. And She's interesting. She's a loose cannon. But... She doesn't seem as fluid now as she was in III. I seem to recall her being more of a constant motion character like Maxi in III. Now she stutters a lot more. Maybe it's just me.

But online bouts are ruining my game. My W/L ratio is pathetic and it's gotten me kinda disheartened. Tira is mostly directional inputs and nothing really too fancy. But I rely a lot on JFs and quicker directional control. It seems like no matter who I pick to play online is moving through molasses, compared to offline. And it tosses my game off.

But Right now I think Tira's my strongest. Even though I still seem to get trounced frequently by people rushing in and just hitting attack buttons on me with Mitsu, Taki, Yoshi, Kilik, Talim, and Raph. Getting used to practicing combos offline and playing with others at home... and then going online... it feels like drowning.

So.... My Main's Tira. I'm Working on Trying to Unlock X's potential for the underdog effect... her silent whatsits is such a huge telegraph, though It's pathetic...and most of my attacks just seem to get stuffed.

But online, when I'm really aggravated, I pull out Sophitia or Cassandra...
Even though I despair when I'm beaten again by Some Kilik guy just waving his pole around wildly. I can't wrap my head around them just mashing on me. But I'm not very good.

Maybe I'll go Back to Mina And Yun. I dunno.

I picked Taki because she's a ninja! Cmon, who doesn't like a female ninja?!? Ah and let me make this clear..... It is NOT because of her double D's. I've always thought she was cool since part 1.

I also like Mitsu because he's a samurai. But Taki will probably be my main.

This is my first post here on your forum. Hi. :)

I usually go with the Evil Knight character in video games. I like them tall, imposing and insane, criteria’s that all suit a certain someone in this series quite well, heh.
But strangely enough, I’m not feeling very drawn to Nightmare in ‘4. This had me a little bit distraught at first since I didn’t have that solid foundation that I had both in ‘2 and ‘3. I tried to use Nightmare, Siegfried, Hilde, Amy and Raphael (my usual suspect-styles when it comes to character selection in fighting games) in the space of 24 hours but none of them managed to reel me in.

Instead I decided to put my efforts into unlocking various items in the game, perhaps I could create a new character for myself once I had achieved the sweet stuff. Then I came across Ashlotte. Wow!

After defeating her I tried her out in Training Mode and instantly fell “in love”. I’ve never really been impressed with Astaroth himself (a bit too large and brutish for my tastes) but when his moves were being thrown about by an averagely tall and sized (even though she weighs in excess of 450+ pounds!) artificial human with a vacant expression on her face, dressed in an outlandish outfit that does not seem to disintegrate when you break it (like most of the other female apparel does. I’m not comfortable with being stripped like that in the middle of a match, thank you very much.) I was hooked instantly. And coming from a (rather brief, unfortunately) background of playing as Nightmare I was already comfortable with using wide sweeps of my weapon to fling my opponents around the ring. “Astaroth” is quite a bit more challenging for me to use, though.

I’ve no real intentions on playing Soul Calibur in a competitive way as it is, so I think I’ll be alright with using one of the Bonus Characters for offline play and unranked online matches. I tend to become all tense and uneasy when it gets competitive unless I know I’m truly awesome at it, whatever it is. Then it becomes more of a game like it should be. So until I am Truly Awesome at this game, I’ll stick to my own cozy way of playing, heh.

playing characters based on there looks is the only way to play...

In all seriousness though, I used to use Kilik cause he was so easy to use (spam lol). But since SCIV, I haven't touched him, and I rarely play as Mina anymore (only to show off her Amy custom outfit), and they used to be my main draws.

So basically, I use Amy now because I like lolis, and Cassandra because she wears no pants. Seriously, that outfit is hot.

EDIT:
You can't make Talim sexy. That's wrong on so many levels.

lmao

I had the same problem. I finally settled on Yoshi, though. I love characters that make the opponent go "what the fuck was that?"

His stances are really fun too.

Taki will probably become my secondary. Or Ivy. Not sure.. Both interesting characters with a big move set.

I'm still having some trouble deciding too, but at least i've been able to narrow it down to either Amy, Taki or Mitsurugi.
I kinda like all 3 of them equally as much so far, but i'm not really good with either one of them yet :(

This leads me to that "Raphael is a pedo!" discussion. We are talking aout the XVI century. There have been 12-15 years old queens in any European royalty, so that statement is just silly, considering the context -> Videogame set in a fantasy past.

People called Raph a pedo. I could give evidence on that. -blushes-

Yeh it's set in the past, aren't they all 5 or 6 hundred now?

I play as Talim because I played as her in sc2, I also play cass, taki, ivy and asty.
In 2 Talim became my main because I enjoyed her evasivness+the flow of her attacks.
In my opinion picking a main is just about finding a char that feels right and then sticking with them.

Back