Countering just Gaurds

Rahuzero

[08] Mercenary
Playing a lot of matches more recently where my opponents is able to do just gaurds very well. I have never been terrible with them but not great either, but it is getting really disheartening when they can just guard all your moves and nullify any chance of retaliation. With guard impacts you can counter impact them but it cost meter. Is there a method to counter just guards? I may have only seen it once, but for someone to be able to just guard the entire match and waste a full 3 minutes of gameplay, just to end it in a tie, is one of the most broken things that have ever occurred in this game series since Hilde's doom combo.

Use more low pokes and throws.
You can also vary your timing to make it more difficult for them.

Remember, when someone attempts a JG, he is basically just standing there and blocking, so you can use all tactics that are efficient against turtles.

Look at how you're playing that person. Look where he just guards you. Remember that standing JG doesn't work on lows or throws, not to mention you can opt for a slower attack to throw his timing off. You don't have to be always attacking at certain spots.

If they are just guarding every move you throw out, you need to work on your rhythm and mix ups.

EDIT: Remember that you have the ability to use just guard as well. Any problems you have with just guarding is going to apply to other players that just guard.

It was a one time thing I doubt i'm going to see that player again(it was on ranked match). As for rythm and mix ups, was was trying whatever I could. Also as to what I said earlier just guard is only good when you are being attacked. If someone only plays reactively then just guards cannot be used to counter. It's fine I just wanted to see if there was some way to counter just guards with another just guard like how guard impacts are able to be countered by guard impacts, but, guess not.

I think a good thing to remember is that you can create a reverse mix up with your strings. For example, if a player always is looking out to just guard my BB, instead of finishing my string I can stop it short and do a single B. This leaves your opponent a little delayed because he was waiting for your 2nd attack and now he is pressured to think again because he guessed wrong. During this time you have the momentum (unless he anticipated you would stop your string) and you can start your mix ups again.

I seriously doubt someone was JG'ing "everything you throw out", and if they were, check your gameplay for repetitive patterns that your opponent is reading. Don't use the same sequence of moves over and over, avoid automatic/robotic play, and try to keep them guessing all the time. Mix it up, and try to be unpredictable.

Don't let your limitations as a player become a criticism on something the game isn't doing wrong. If JG was as unstoppable as how you claim, tournaments would be filled with nothing but JG at top level. So which makes more sense here:

1) All of these top tournament players suck and somehow don't know what you know...

or

2) You are playing predictably and getting beat.

Never said it was a problem with the game, I just don't like something that can't be countered like guard impacts in the previous games. Never said it was unstoppable. I had one bad game against something I hadn't seen before just figuring if there was a counter strategy. Never even claimed to be a good player. Way to be a dick though.

Just Guards are way too strong in this game, i feel the same and apparently the japanese as well. So i understand why somebody who faces this the first time can get a pissed/desperate about it.

Imo its an incredibly unbalanced mechanic that drastically benefit a few chars with fast damaging moves or chars like Mitsu who have such a good Frame Data that they can JG after most moves on block. Also it kills so many moves on high level play.

Delayed moves dont help "much" since they usually get blocked, its not like a JG attempt leaves you very vulnerable. People just tap G and then close the JG window by blocking again, giving them a few frames where they JG fast low damaging moves while still blocking slower high damaging moves. Thats why you see characters GGGGG in top matches any time they are under pressure or expect pokes. I dont want to go to much in details but i feel like its a bad mechanic which needs a fix.

I recommend poking with 2K and throw or playing a heavy Soul Gauge damage game, even thought throws can still be broken. Spam 2K since people rarely JG low since this is quite risky (just as blocking low any way).

Maybe it's just from coming from a third strike background, but JG's really arent that strong.
You can provoke them and then screw with people. And just FYI, you can always use them yourself.

Pretty much covered already, but yeah Guard damage and low pokes are the best tools. Rhythm is extremely hard, sometimes near impossible to break, so if your timing is readable, you can just use slower moves.

That said, aG/bG/kG or UB cancels can work too, just as an idea.

To those of you who are not being jerks and would actually like to help me, thanks. I was using Siegfried at the time. Since then it seems that it is much easier to just gaurd Siegfried over characters like mitsu or nightmare. I would love to hear any real advice anybody has.

Siegfried .

Panic.jpg

Is there a method to counter just guards? I may have only seen it once, but for someone to be able to just guard the entire match and waste a full 3 minutes of gameplay, just to end it in a tie, is one of the most broken things that have ever occurred in this game series since Hilde's doom combo.
What you can do depends on how heavy the move you were using was that got JG'ed. Fast pokes with good recovery tend to still be relatively safe. You could potentially block or even JG back in cases like that.

With heavy attacks, it's pretty much just like a whiff situation. You're boned.

The solution to that is to mix up your rhythm (calm down and learn to not finish strings if blocked etc) and stick to those safeish pokes until you know you can get away with the extended strings. Also throws laugh at JG, so it is important to mix those into your offense as well.

JG attempts tend to favor standing as well so lows tend to have a higher success rate vs JG.

Also, keep in mind the times when it is impossible to JG. Punish whiffs and hunt for interrupt situations. Guaranteed hits are always good.

Back