Dampierre Match-ups - Now let's see what's under that disguise!

IP_III_IIVII_IP

[08] Mercenary
I love my Damp, but Ivy is by far always my worst matchup... Her short range horizontal game is too good and pretty much all of her moves have pushback.

And not to mention if they figure out i'm pretty much defenceless against 7B... I'm 100% screwed.

Tips anyone?!

Pardon my post, but Pocky Yoshi sees no anti-thread to figure out the disgui-I mean match-ups! Yes yes ahem. Sure us Dampierres are seen as a joke. But you see, we have genius devious plots as long as we share accurate info on how to punish *insert character here*. So whatever "antis" anyone knows, it's time you did some respectable work!!!:sc5dam1:

Pardon my post, but Pocky Yoshi sees no anti-thread to figure out the disgui-I mean match-ups! Yes yes ahem. Sure us Dampierres are seen as a joke. But you see, we have genius devious plots as long as we share accurate info on how to punish *insert character here*. So whatever "antis" anyone knows, it's time you did some respectable work!!!:sc5dam1:

I feel Damp isn't as bad as people make him out to be. He has a couple of good whiff punishers that can combo into B!E for decent damage, He can ring out with both of his front throws and his back throw, his B+G throw can't be counter mashed by the opponent as far as I know which means he can deal more damage than most characters can with their throws, he has a few safe moves up close like 6B and he has a high damage CE.

I don't really know the frames well enough to comment on Damp's matchups but I've personally found Siegfried and Nightmare quite easy to beat but I've been struggling against Cervy and the Pyhrras for a while.

New notation I'm adding:
PBHT - Poker Bluff Head Towards opponent
PBFT - Poker Bluff Feet Towards opponent

I'm not going to say how I do it, but the most effective way of playing Dampierre, that I've found, is to pressure with:
623B~PB, A+G~PBHT, stand, Attack with ranged move/ poke, 623B~PB...

623B~PB is one of Dampierre's best moves, if used properly. It dodges all highs and most mids, and leads into one of the best AT's in the game (be weary that you opponent can counter your mashing by quickly rotating their Joy stick). I will explain the process of how this all works in extreme detail in the near furture, after I have finnished analyzing the other mechanics of the game.

This works until your opponent starts stepping and smacking you out of PB. Don't get me wrong, 623B is still probably damp's best move, but I would not recommend just randomly throwing that move out there against good players.

Actually stepping the 623B~PB move is not the issue; the preceeding PB move will re-track. The issue lies with the frame advantage your opponent gets on GRD from the PB attack. Any attack you throw at a "good" player should be premeditated, but do realize 623B~PB forces whiff on highs in early frames and around i22 it starts to dodge mids as well.

Keep in mind that this form of PB pressuring is just another mixup strategy, I suggest you don't limit yourself or push your luck with any one strategy for Dampierre. Another strategy would be to take advantage of FC~B (i14 now) and FC~A (still i13), then follow up with WS~B (still i15), in which both still give only minimal frame advatage on GRD.

Edit: I meant to say it gives your opponent the advantage on GRD, but it's around -5 to 8.

Another strategy would be to take advantage of FC~B (i14 now) and FC~A (still i13), then follow up with WS~B (still i15), in which both still get a frame advantage on GRD.

I'm pretty sure those moves minus frames on guard, but just not enough for your opponent to punish; those moves are pretty much safe on guard, but I don't think they give frame advantage.

Ok, I really need some assistance dealing with extremely strong pyrrha omega players.....I'll do my own homework head to practice and look at her frames and what I can deal with but, I know there's a whole lot more to it in the heat of battle...

AZ

I feel Damp isn't as bad as people make him out to be. He has a couple of good whiff punishers that can combo into B!E for decent damage, He can ring out with both of his front throws and his back throw, his B+G throw can't be counter mashed by the opponent as far as I know which means he can deal more damage than most characters can with their throws, he has a few safe moves up close like 6B and he has a high damage CE.

I don't really know the frames well enough to comment on Damp's matchups but I've personally found Siegfried and Nightmare quite easy to beat but I've been struggling against Cervy and the Pyhrras for a while.

How do u go about fighting Nightmare and Siegfried? Every time I face them i always dread that their range will be the death of me. I'm not sure how to move in against characters with long range but I think it's because I overthink when I'm playing, I was wondering how do u start against them?

How do u go about fighting Nightmare and Siegfried? Every time I face them i always dread that their range will be the death of me. I'm not sure how to move in against characters with long range but I think it's because I overthink when I'm playing, I was wondering how do u start against them?

That post is quite old and my opinion has changed drastically since then. Sieg is one of Damp's worst matchups. You don't get a throw attempt after a blocked 33B BE and he has several ways to keep you out.

I recently went into training mode to figure out how to stop his strings and I discovered a few things
  • You can JG the second hit of his 66K BE and punish with B!E
  • You can do the same against his SCHK BE
  • 1A stops the first and second hit of of SCHA but unfortunately whiffs if you GI the second hit
  • Since you can't throw him after a blocked 33B BE, you can try and create a mixup with 2K and 623B although it isn't that great
Basically, you need to be able to JG or rely on the not so great 1A to get around his strings. Since a lot of Sieg's moves are slow, you should be able to JG them on reaction. It also helps when landing Damp's CE. As for Nightmare, I'm working on him now.

someone here knows something bout ivy ? I can handle every character but this matchup seems like 0 10 for ivy. Shes able to punish everything you do you cant get close to her cause of her long range and if you are close she also got fast attacks to interrupt you. and also if 623 B fails you will eat the full Combo bout every time. Just cant handle that bitch.

In all honesty Ivy is still my worst match up and unless the person is clueless to what Dampierre is capable of, but even then its a long road to a victory (for me at least it is) I can't really say I know how to fight against her, I kinda just fight and hope for the best but I do tend to use more PB A+G/B+G and try to mix up as best as I can but I have no real clue on how to go about fighting her.

Back