Dampierre Q&A / General Discussion

OOFMATIC instead of a grab on 33_99B BE (GB) you should have enough time to react and do a more damaging combo, the most damaging confirmed hit (no "random" element) afterwards is to use the Bravo Encore kicks into 4B.

You can only use this if your opponent is straight with their back at the wall because of the pushback on the GB, B!E! will whiff, so you're better off attempting 623B, A+B, OR even 66B

AZ

OOFMATIC instead of a grab on 33_99B BE (GB) you should have enough time to react and do a more damaging combo, the most damaging confirmed hit (no "random" element) afterwards is to use the Bravo Encore kicks into 4B.
Of course. In theory this is true, but the reality of it is that under tournament pressure it's much more difficult to commit your mental resources to react to something like that.
You can only use this if your opponent is straight with their back at the wall because of the pushback on the GB, B!E! will whiff, so you're better off attempting 623B, A+B, OR even 66B

AZ
Actually it's more of a distance issue. If you get a "deep" hit with 33B, B!E! will be guaranteed on guard after the GC.

hey everyone i am sort of new on the 8 way run scene so i dont know all the vocab you have been talking about for the past 13 pages
can someone please give me a quick newbie rundown on what this all means (33b wtf!)

oh and obviously i play dampierre ( really well too) i am a c1 and i beat most B and some A players

i also play asteroth my asteroth is better than my dampierre ( but then again asteroth may be really easy to play as) but i do pretty much demolish almost anyone with asty (once again i dont know how easy he is to play as)

so im just a noob here to say hi and giving evryone a warm le bello welcome

NOWS MY CHANCE *jumps to another thread*

http://8wayrun.com/wiki/movelist-input-guide/

It's overwhelming the first time you glance at it, but you'll become accustomed to it pretty fast. It's actually easier to remember the inputs of moves than the names of them, hence why you'll see so much "GS B+K" versus "Grim Reaper."

Also, as unpleasant as it is to hear...Lose the ego. If you're trying to prove you're good to anyone but yourself, you're doing it wrong and just with sheer statistics saying so, you probably suck. Ranked is meaningless, there are some really really good players around, and trying to prove your skill to anyone but yourself is generally a sign you're letting yourself be enslaved by cognitive biases and all that other fun stuff. If you don't, you'll probably end up in a very precarious state when you start bumping into players you can't handle and without the ability to recognize personal flaws end up like soooo many other folks that make excuses for their shortcomings and RAEG hard when those excuses are shot down.

But hey, a little bit of humility goes a long way and if you're nice most folks here will be nice back. Welcome.

.....and RAEG hard when those excuses are shot down.

Pocky Yoshi sees what you did there.
hey everyone i am sort of new on the 8 way run scene so i dont know all the vocab you have been talking about for the past 13 pages
can someone please give me a quick newbie rundown on what this all means (33b wtf!)

oh and obviously i play dampierre ( really well too) i am a c1 and i beat most B and some A players

i also play asteroth my asteroth is better than my dampierre ( but then again asteroth may be really easy to play as) but i do pretty much demolish almost anyone with asty (once again i dont know how easy he is to play as)

so im just a noob here to say hi and giving evryone a warm le bello welcome

NOWS MY CHANCE *jumps to another thread*

Well, I like your competitive enthusiasm. I hope you don't lose sight of that. Anyways, click on Wandrian's link if you want to read how to understand specific Dampierre frame data. But if you aren't into text reading, then fortunately we have a remedy for that. I will warn you it's a bit aged, but it gets the job done on explaining 33B and all that.

After spending time in both links provided, they should clear up some confusions. But should you have questions, ask away. But be a bit careful on the flaunting part for many peeps here(including me) usually get troll happy at the next "beast mode big shot" which happens to be what you're doing.

But I know that wasn't your intent as you're a noobie as you stated. Regardless, hope to see you around.

http://8wayrun.com/wiki/movelist-input-guide/

It's overwhelming the first time you glance at it, but you'll become accustomed to it pretty fast. It's actually easier to remember the inputs of moves than the names of them, hence why you'll see so much "GS B+K" versus "Grim Reaper."

Also, as unpleasant as it is to hear...Lose the ego. If you're trying to prove you're good to anyone but yourself, you're doing it wrong and just with sheer statistics saying so, you probably suck. Ranked is meaningless, there are some really really good players around, and trying to prove your skill to anyone but yourself is generally a sign you're letting yourself be enslaved by cognitive biases and all that other fun stuff. If you don't, you'll probably end up in a very precarious state when you start bumping into players you can't handle and without the ability to recognize personal flaws end up like soooo many other folks that make excuses for their shortcomings and RAEG hard when those excuses are shot down.

But hey, a little bit of humility goes a long way and if you're nice most folks here will be nice back. Welcome.

well thanks for the link

wasnt trying to show that i had ego i was just trying to act like "dampierre" would

but i guess thats pointless now seeing how this is not a cosplay website

anyways thanks for the link

lol but yeah i play asty

actually this is my first soul calibur game i ever played (dont hurt me)

and i saw asteroth i was like "OH SWEET GIANT AXE" (i then proceded to get raped by everyone)

when i first started this game infact i always complained saying asteroth has no range ( how stupid i was)

it was funny watching me spam 6AA with asteroth until i finaly learned how to play the game

but enough of that

more about me

my main is asteroth

2nd main dampierre

3rd main yoshimitsu

4th main voldo

( all four of these characters are right next to eachother on the character list, and so far from what i have seen these characters attract alot of rage)

not a coinsedence i swear

Hello Dampierre, welcome to the 8wr competitive/casual website for the SoulCalibur series

Glad you have some enthusiasm in you, and hope that you can channel that energy to reading lots, getting better with your characters, contributing stuff and/or asking good questions if you're not sure.

Compared to other Soul Arena's this one is pretty quiet so as a pre heads-up, just avoid any tendencies to spam, banter, whatever, I'm not judging you by any means btw.

Have fun!

AZ

Will add to the punishment thread soon, and maybe a match-up one but here's something for you guys.

Alpha pat's 2143B:B, you can QS in any direction to his right after the first hit is blocked, this means (assumindgwe are on 1p side) we can get 77B launch to B!E! 4B

Now for 2143B:B(BE), you can do the same thing except you must wait a tad little longer til his animation finishes if you want to get the full combo, otherwise if you successfully QS into 77B, you won't land B!E! since you're put in a weird angle, you can still get 44BKBK though.

So general tip is QS, holding 77 and wait til his animation is up, then launch...

Another CE issue, played with some_randm_freak several hours ago, 11(held)B , on Damps left hand side there was a GI, but no CE animation.

Also, here's something that almost made me jump, it's possible to interuppt Patroklos' JS B(BE) with CE, however, what happened during some punishment tests, there was a weird camera trick that made Dampierre teleport behind Pat, whilst doing CE, I can't seem to replicate it though.
However I think it's mostly to do with the way one inputs the CE command, you can do it slowly but, Damp will evade JS B(BE) and so it's a waste of meter. I was about to jump on the "hey I found a glitch" wagon, but at this point I don't even think anything is going to be done...

AZ

...Y'know, that could be the thing with the CE not activating properly against airborne attacks too. I've noticed that when an attack that has sidestep triggers Dampierre's CE it seems more likely to fail(or this could be a completely erroneous observation---woohoo!) The reason it fails against airborne attacks could be they're hitting slightly to the side as well. Maybe test it out with Nightmare's 22*88B with a QS to Nightmare's right side? Now I want to test it out for myself as well :)

This is a bit general, but honestly I have been trying to main Dampierre since day one and I am still pretty new to the whole SoulCalibur thing, but in the end of the day I am finding trying to have success with this guy to be so frustrating that I sometimes question if all the effort and annoyance is worth it just for those rare moments of enjoyment when things go my way. How do you guys keep up competitively when using this guy? I just feel like in the end, especially online where landing constant BE feels so inconsistent to me. I feel like the developers took the randomness a little too far. To me so much of Dampierre seems to boil down to good occurrence or bad occurrence, as opposed to something like Faust or Platinum which would be various results that you then try to make use out of. Yeah he can do a whole lot of damage sometimes, but outside of those rarities I just feel like I am working with far less than pretty much every other character.

As for some things that get to me, I just start to get really annoyed by things like how B+K has such a HIGH mess up chance and 263B does too. I realize that if both these moves were more successful Dampierre could whip out 80-100 damage really easily, but I feel as though they could just up the chances of the second 263B failing when attempted as a combo. Hell they could remove that combo ability all together and I still think it would be worth reducing the rate of him falling. It wouldn't be such an issue for me if Dampierre had more normal combo opportunities or ways of quickly covering ground. Same with B+K. It would have so many more uses it he did not spin out so often. I do not even mind being unable to follow it up most of the time.

My issue these days seems to be how hard it is to gain true momentum. There's the gimmicky momentum, which is where people not too familiar with Dampierre keep falling for his unsafe tricks, but then there is actual momentum. You know things like heavy pressure games on wakeup and such. I feel like so much of what Dampierre does ends up equaling out everything right after. I have a hard time keeping up in that regard. I do something to them and now they are free to try to pressure me, and they do it a hell of a lot better than I. Sometimes I feel like it's just chipping away at people's health and I compare high damage Dampierre combos sometimes to the gimmicks of Natsu's bombs and such. It just seems so unreliable in the end. It seems like just doing 2K often enough can stop most of what Dampierre goes for. In the end a lot of his moves start to feel kind of sluggish too.

Oh and I feel like this guy got gimped pretty hard when it comes to the super meter. Of his brave edges the only one I find is worth bothering with would be the Sonic the Hedgehog 44B one, which I use fairly often. I wish he had some Brave Edge options while in his stances or maybe even for B!E! which could be interesting, kind of like how Gen has an EX version of his kicks. His CE is great yeah, but I wish they would bother to make sure it works on all moves it counters. Just seems silly to me when he clearly counters it yet it doesn't auto trigger the cinematic. Sure they could be across the screen, but since when did this character make sense anyway?

How do you guys keep up?

Snippity snip

I don't recommend using Dampierre if you are new to the series. He is very different from the rest of the cast and takes a while to get used to. Competitively, I'm one of the few people who think he's actually viable but you have to stick to what makes him good (B!E) and exploit it. 11B and 623B are both very good moves that lead to B!E and 100+ damage. You also seem to be using moves which aren't that good like B+K. The top 10 moves I use are...

11B
623B
33B BE
B!E
22B
Throws
AA
BB
66A

Of course, you don't have to use all of these moves. I'm sure there are other Dampierre players who'll disagree with my list but I've found these to be his most effective moves. Just try different approaches or watch vidoes of some of the other Dampierre players in the video thread. You'll get a good understanding of what moves to use and when to use them.

As for his meter options, you're underestimating 33B BE. It leads to B!E on hit and depending on whether you get the GB version or not, you can get guarenteed follow-ups like B!E or 623B (if it doesn't go into PB). Even if you don't get the GB version you still get a throw attempt against some of the cast. 44K BE is decent but doesn't do enough damage to be worth using all the time. You do get a mixup if the move goes into PB at any time which slightly makes up for it. 6B BE is indeed useless as it is just too unreliable and has whiffing issues if you aren't close to a wall or ring edge. His CE does monstrous damage with a clean hit. Even without a clean hit it does solid damage but it does have that stupid glitch where it sometimes doesn't activate.

Hope that helps. :)

How do you guys keep up?

throws.....lots of throws

the thing with dampierre is that he has no range what so ever. in fact the only character with least range than dampierre is a devil jin CaS. but the good thing about that is alot of moves with dampierre leave him open for throws. for example.

4k spins the oppenent around leaving him open for a throw. alot of dampierres moves actually leave you wide open for a throw when blocked. not to mention if you get a wall hit with his A+G throw you can throw him twice for almost half his health. more than half if you combo into it with 623B. also dampierre has the one of the longest throw ranges than most characters. actually if i am correct the only character that has a longer range with throws is astaroth when he does his command throws.

also almost all of his throws leave you wide open for a mix up

for example A+G (normal version) lets you imediately follow up with a 1K then you can do FP B and then after that grab them with the PB A+G and then after that ordeal your opponent if pretty much dead. within 10-20 seconds (depending on how long you can make dampierres punches last)

why dont you hit me up on xbox live and we can play some matches. :sc5dam1: Please hear Le Bello's story:sc5dam1:

I find running forward and mixing up blocking/buffered 8WR attacks to be good options to close the gap. 623B is also a great way to get a little bit closer, but you'll want to avoid spamming it or else your foe will just QS around it. If you're in the habit of 8WR buffering, you can mix up 66B, 66A, 44AB, 33*99BK/33*88bA+B+K(which is a free mixup by itself!), and 11*77KK to get your offense going. 66B has a bit of an awkward animation and deceptively long range with decent speed, the vast majority of players online I find seem to fall for it easily when I use other buffered 8WR attacks more often---usually knocking them on their ass and setting up Dampierre's PB/oki game >:)

It's also pretty tricky to do, but I find pressuring and using throws just to piss off your opponent makes them much more likely to fall for Poker Bluff's 50/50 mixup. Try 623B into his B+G throw until they start breaking it. Remember, you *ARE* playing an actual troll character so incorporating some actual trolling into your fighting style probably won't hurt you. If they're losing their cool, they're not going to be thinking as clearly and that means they'll be more likely to fall for more of Dampierre's dirty tricks pragmatic attacks. It'll just create a sort of downward spiral for anyone that can't keep their cool, even more so when every attack you use is basically a taunt in and of itself >:)

Oh, and if you stun them on the ground go for 44kA+B+K. It deals nice damage against grounded foes and potentially goes back into the Poker Bluff 50/50.

Of course all this trolling is much weaker against someone that can keep a cool head and knows to 2A/2B/2K against Poker Bluff...but for most folks online, that's not something to worry about.

Ah I am so sorry I meant A+B not B+K. Man what a mix up. I use that sneeze attack only as a joke.

As for the throws, yeah I have noticed Dampierre has huge potential on throwing. I used to rely on them a lot more, especially when I corner people with him, but I sometimes do not like heavy usage of throws seeing that if the opponent is on their toes it is often a 50% chance that they can tech out of it though I guess it does not put me in a particularly bad position if they tech out anyway.

Yeah I love 66B I find it to be that "when in doubt" kind of attack since it surprisingly has a rather odd hitbox and can close the gap rather fast. Plus, when done obviously, people tend to sidestep it rather than block it so I just start going for the poker kicks or something along those lines.

Finally yeah I know you want to get in their head, but my problem is indeed those that know what to expect and who are able to keep their cool. Plus, for me I do not want to just win with Dampierre online. I want to keep a more rewarding feel knowing I beat people who knew his tricks of the trade. It's like winning with Voldo I imagine. So many people online have no idea how Voldo plays it almost feels like you didn't win in the end. I'm not sure if my reasoning makes sense there.

As for him being a difficult character to use, I knew what I was getting into and I have tried to switch mains to all sorts of characters, but I always end up going back to Dampierre. I really like the guy he is one of my favorite fighting game characters. I even intend to cosplay him for a convention. He can be quite rewarding when I start to get some momentum going too. It's too late for me to go back now.

Anyway thank you guys I will try this 8WR buffering method of getting around since it sounds quite effective. Does anyone have any tips on landing B!E! online? It seems to me like the timing is always different with each opponent. It makes me afraid to go for it.

Finally, in the event that you successfully parry someone with 4A+B+K, what move does Dampierre have time to go for? Will he be able to make it with 11B or is the delay too much?

I don't think Dampierre excels in actual proper momentum that you speak of Le_Mongressa, I think you should try and re ajust your gameplan to whiff punishment as well as baiting for whiffs rather than rush down, be a patient player :)

Here's an example of something other players I faced came up with

22B, and 33K (two moves) which I use quite often to bait for whiffs.

22B - Do they attempt and attack? If so 11B them,
This I find quite common with people who don't (or think) they know Damp and will just blindly attack without thinking...

Here's another little flowchart you might consider in terms of baiting for a counter attack

623B (-4 on block),
  • Do they attack back? If so was it linear or can it be TC? If so QS to 11B
In certain situations where you have meter, you might attempt a GI after such a move to B!E! or even CE if you think they will strike back.
I hope that part was clear for you to understand!
Summary:
Exploit whiffs and punish them as best as you can.
Throws, really good for Dampierre, if you aren't throwing a lot, do so now
Bait a bit more
Don't worry about his UB's unless you are feeling lucky
Gimmick them if they don't know Damp.
Watch videos of Dampierre, you can find some vids of players such as famous OOFMATIC, random youtube vids etc...
Practice mode, I'm putting some time to do some character punishment but if you ever are struggling against a particular character/move, head to the lab and see what solution will work for you, you'll be amazed how many common moves can be stepped, TC'd, GI'd, aGi'd.
When I found some stuff for myself I was thinking of all those 11B's I could have done long ago...
Oh I'd also advise to learn or get a secondary character if you want to learn soulcalibur, matchups etc.

EDIT: GI is about +26 go for B!E! as a staple but if you're brave/feeling lucky gor for A+B, or 623B combo!! 11B won't work

B!E! timing online, I sometimes mash out the first 6 kicks and I figure the t-tap method on the last 2 kicks, once I figure out the frame delay roughly I can get it consistent on a good day!

EDIT: YAY THE SA IS ALIVE AGAIN

EDIT: Do what the guy (synraii) below me says, but add a bit of your own flare to it!! Yes we can kill opponents with the same half bar combo!!

AZ

Back