difference betwee HFS3 and HRAP3

Schneider-X

[11] Champion
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an arcade stick soon, and I was wondering what other differences there are between the Hori fighting stick 3, and Hori Real Arcade Pro 3, besides the stick of the HRAP3 being a sanwa?

Are they otherwise the same?

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an arcade stick soon, and I was wondering what other differences there are between the Hori fighting stick 3, and Hori Real Arcade Pro 3, besides the stick of the HRAP3 being a sanwa?

Are they otherwise the same?

One spells Rape, the other spells FS3. Sorry had to say it eventually =D

Besides the sanwa im pretty sure they are pretty much the same, the durability may be a little different though.

I think the buttons in the HRAP might be slightly higher quality.

That, and the HRAP is obviously bulkier.

The HRAP is also a lot more comfortable to play on.

The hrap is bigger and thus harder to carry around and more expensive on the plane where weight of luggage is more $.

HFS is cooler.

so the HRAP3 is a bit bigger than the HFS3. Is the button layout the same? It seems that way from pictures I see.

I like the feel of the HRAP much, much more. Definitely the better stick imo. Only real advantage of the HFS is the size, and that's only for (as Kosh mentioned) portability.

so the HRAP3 is a bit bigger than the HFS3. Is the button layout the same? It seems that way from pictures I see.

The HRAP is much bigger, it's a totally different class for sure.

HRAP2SASanwa.jpg

vs

fighting-stick-3_52.jpg

30 seconds on google. The have the same sized buttons.

Wow, they look horrible! I would much rather buy one of Jaxel's or even Whitey's furry green one.

Considering that the button layout on them are the same then I consider them both to be crap. The button layout is horrid and is the only reason I dislike those sticks (granted I do own one, the HFS3 SoCalIV edition). The only way I can feel comfortable with that button layout is if I play with the buttons set to inside rather than outside. If it weren't for that stupid downward arc on the outer buttons, it would be just fine.

That stick is the same as the HFS3. Only difference is that it as SoCalIV artwork on it. I play on it using the inside buttons. Playing with outside is awkward because of that downward arc.

To me it seems like the buttons are crowded together and looks like it feels uncomfortable.

Well, I own that particular stick and have played on my friend's HFS3. Believe me, there is no difference other than the artwork on the stick. The layout and distance between the buttons are exactly the same on both that SCIV one and the standard HFS3. I guess the artwork could make the buttons seem as if they are placed differently.

Maybe, the only stick i've owned was the one thats placed into my arcade machine in my garage. That stick is durable and feels perfect.

ShinobiBrown: When you say play on the inside do you mean having your layout something like this:
ABKx
Gxxx

Or do you mean something else?

Also I noticed that the main face buttons on a ps3 controller are to the left on the HRAP3.

So considering the differences listed here, I think I'll get the HFS3, and mod the buttons with sanwa buttons and get an octagon restrictor. Should I get a sanwa stick as well?

ShinobiBrown: When you say play on the inside do you mean having your layout something like this:
ABKx
Gxxx

Or do you mean something else?

Also I noticed that the main face buttons on a ps3 controller are to the left on the HRAP3.

So considering the differences listed here, I think I'll get the HFS3, and mod the buttons with sanwa buttons and get an octagon restrictor. Should I get a sanwa stick as well?

I wouldn't bother with a sanwa stick.

The restrictor takes maybe 7 min to get into a HFS3:
Unscrew the ~7 screws on the bottom of the HFS3.
Unscrew the 4 screws holding the Hori restrictor.
Remove Hori restrictor.
Get a drill and drill in 4 specific spots (already have holes, but not all the way through) in the Sanwa restrictor.
Put Sanwa restrictor ontop of the microswitches for the stick.
Screw the 4 screws in that held the Hori restrictor.
Screw in the ~7 screws on the bottom of the HFS3.

Done!

Buttons take a while.. Sanwas into the HFS3 require either using wires + duct tape on the bottom of the casing because your PCB will hang loose and the ends can contact the metal base plate, or cutting and bending the buttons' connectors to fit into the HFS3's PCB. Seimitsu buttons only require cutting, no bending, to fit into the HFS3's PCB.

Back