Draining the Soul Gauge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tribaL

[09] Warrior
there's one topic for raising the soul gauge, so i thought id make one for draining the soul gauge as i've been hearing/reading conflicting information.

obviously, there are certain moves that drain the SG faster than others to create a SGB (soul gauge break) that either gives a free hit OR the obvious CF (critical finish).

so, i've been doing some testing here and there to see what affects the draining of the SG.

so far i've found:

-with all the characters i tested it took the same amount of hits to SGB. ie: soph's 4[A] took 7 hits to SGB against talim. this number was the same against astaroth, soph, mitsu, and nightmare (i only checked the basic weights, ie: small, medium, heavy). mind you i didn't test it against EVERYONE. i'll leave that to you guys ;).

-the least number of hits it took me to SGB a character was 7. i did it with soph's 4[A] and with asty's 22_88B. HOWEVER, there were times when 4[A] took 8 times to SGB, and one time when it took 6, which i found odd (and it had nothing to do with lost armor because the dummy had full armor on between each test). i also noticed it took 8 times with [4]A the very first time i loaded a stage from character select in practice mode, then every subsequent time (after an hitting R3 to restart in the middle of the stage) it took 7. AGAIN, i did not test EVERY CHARACTER'S MOVES. there may be a character that can take 6 hits to SGB, but i didn't look for it.

EDIT: also those were SINGLE HITTING MOVES. i didn't test any strings as most strings can be ducked, and gi'ed or interrupted between hits. i did get soph's 09_06_03B+K, A, B to SGB in 6 attempts, but obviously that string can be stopped.

-ithe SG does go up by itself, however the amount of SG that gets filled is very small and takes a long time to get back without making contact with the opponent.

ANOTHER EDIT:

-from what i've seen there doesn't seem to be any inherent advantage for SGB'ing for bigger characters. they MAY have more moves that take out the SG, but they certainly don't drain it any faster than the other characters nor do they gain any defensive advantage against SG drainage.

yea, i dunno how much of this was already known, but i figured i'd start something to consolidate information.

EDIT:ALSO!!!! i want this thread to be a thread where people discuss their findings. i'm not going to test everything, and not everything i test is going to be correct. so, please, do discuss here!

I think if a character is blocking they do not recover SG. That's why in P-mode you don't have to rush your inputs.

Talim's fastest single hit SG drainer is 6A+B (6 blocked hits once the CPU has been CF'd). Her fastest multi-hitting SG drainer is 44A[A] (it takes 4.5 blocked hits). I have a full list for her here in this thread.

-breaking off of a piece of armor makes a SGB occur in a shorter amount of hits (by about one). HOWEVER, breaking off the second or third piece of armor does nothing to quicken it.

That's actually incorrect, and I previously thought it was the same.

What happened is that you were at training mode, testing how many hits it takes to cause a soul crush, caused it, didn't CF and the Soul Gauge was reset, but not to the top, but to a slighty lower (blue vs green), causing the lower hits required.

You can test this by setting the training dummy to block everything, then hit it with unblockables (with the guarding, the soul gauge doesn't refresh) till one piece of armor is broken. Then hit it with normal attacks and you will see that, even with broken armor, it takes the same amount of hits to crush the soul.

I did exactly the same mistake.

ahh! you are right! i didn't think of that! damn damn.

so, really, breaking armor doesn't do crap for sg. editing...

Time r4aises SG... put the opponent into blinking red and go grab a drink or something and dont leave it on guard all and when you come back itll be alot higher then red. Also the discrepancy for sophie could be a range thing. That move does different things at range and not at range for adbantage so SG damage might be similar

the sg does raise up, but extremely slowly. if you wait that long to hit the opponent they deserve to get their bar back.

Soul-calibur-v-ezio-600x300.jpg
I TRIED TO WARN YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back