EGMi Cover Story for Soul Calibur V

EGM now has their June 6th issue of their magazine available to view online which features Soul Calibur 5 on the cover and an interesting interview with producer Hisaharu Tago and director Daishi Odashima.

You can click here to view the issue. You can also buy the current issue at your local news stand. Special thanks to Mr.Nobody for providing the tip.

3S is "fun" (I don't think it's fun personally) due to its mechanics, not its poor balance.

Poor balance never makes a game fun, a game is fun is spite of poor balance. The problem is folks who assume that fun games have to be broken- they're the biggest problem with the FGC right now.

This.

What the hell. Nobody ever said that.

People are saying it's more important to have a fun game than a balanced one. But the two aren't mutually exclusive.

If you want the best of both worlds play Arcana Heart and VF.

People are pretty much saying this over on other boards. I know you're a pretty smart guy, so I know you know better- but there are plenty of forum monsters out there who are pushing this as a religion some places. It's just wrong.

Arcana doesn't seem all that balanced off the top of my head- seems like rushdown chars dominate.

That said, the concepts of diversity and balance do compete with each other- it's like an indifference curve for those familiar with economic theory.

Diversity is a large component of fun.

The better a developer is at fighting games , the better they can provide one without much of a sacrifice to the other.

This was such a great interview. SC5 is going to have so many fighting styles. Please give us more than 50 Slots, PPPPPppppppllllleassseee!!!

Daishi Odashima said:
"There's also a concept in Japanese called wabi-sabi, which means 'a perfect balance between too much and too little.' So it's not like you can just make everything over the top and it'll be OK, some elements have to be kind of bland on purpose. [That even goes] for characters: some can be strong, and some we want to be kind of weak, on purpose. That's a perfect balance from the Japanese mentality."

Please tell me something was lost in translation here. The way this sounds from how I'm interpreting it, it's completely unacceptable.

Not sure how you can not understand that but ill give you an example. Sophitia can do an attack that looks fantastic like holding Up A+B - which creates this cool rocket sound and she gets all flammming lol - its big and sensational!! Or you can press Horizontal twice for a simple one two combo that doesn't look like much. He mean you cant make every move big and dramatic there has to be a balance!

Interview was probably done a while ago. They didn't mention any of the new mechanics at all. Around 26 is still probably the most accurate assumption.

Wrong - There is no way they will remove anyone, they only want to add, they are suggesting that some characters might now come back to tease us and scare us. All the characters will be back and then some - "more then one and less then 50" means somewhere in the 40's most likley.

Pretty sure Daishi meant that as a joke.
The actual character numbers are speculated to be around the 25-30ish as everyone knows, but then again.. that could change depending on the actual effort going into the game.

I just hope they put some work into the gameplay mechanics. I'm starting to no longer care about story or any other thing. I just want the game to be fun to play with friends and have a long shelf life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isisabraham
Back