Fav developer thread

whitey

[09] Warrior
I always like to bring up this topic, its great way to get to know everyone..anywhoo

Treasure is probably my favorite developer...although they've been slipping these past few years (GBA gunstar heroes was a total let down) titles like Gradius V, Ikaruga, Bangai-o, Radiant Silvergun and Gunstar Heroes makes up for it....Also they have always been closely associated with Sega (they even published their more recent tittles) and anyone that has known me for more than 10 years knows that i used to be a huge Sega fan-boy back in the day

Favorite developer? Tough choice. I'll just list the developers I have faith in.

- Level 5
- BioWare
- Tri-Ace
- Insomniac
- Naughty Dog
- Konami
- Atlus
- Capcom
- Arc System Works
- Namco

Developers that have made my shit list:

- Midway
- EA
- Sega
- Nintendo
- SquareEnix

I'll say this much, the companies on my shit list don't have 100% of my hatred. However, they are constantly giving me more reasons to hate them, rather than like them.

nice list. I must say tho 2 of your shit list companies are doing some interesting things. This may be their chance to win ppl like us back. Midway just downsized, many speculate that they might be history in a few years...or since they have a tighter budget we'll get less crappy games...psy ops 2 anyone? And EA's "lets make original games" strategy looks awesome, i can't wait for mirrors edge and battlefield heroes.

The only defense i can come up with for sega is that 1) Sammy is screwing them over royaly and is half the reason why we have so many crappy 3d sonic games and 2) They are releasing original games, but no one is buying them, best example is psp's "crash"

Haha, nice. My favorite developer all-time is Capcom, even though they make stupid decisions a LOT. I actually have a lot of Namco games as well, but they piss me off like none other. Too bad the games they make are fun.

I have a soft spot for Atlus as a publisher (not a developer, so don't get those confused!) since I worked for Atlus USA.

My two favorite companies overall though are Treasure, like you noted, and Grasshopper Manufacture. Suda51 is one of my heroes :P When you can put seinen manga-style narrative into a video game, you automatically have my vote.

Fav List
Insomniac
Naughty Dog
Level 5
Santa Monica
Team Ico
Sega
Firaxis
Bullfrog (not Lionhead)
Sierra (not Vivendi)
Westwood (not EA Westwood)
TIM SCHAEFER

Shit List
Namco
Nintendo
Namco
Square
Namco
Electronic Arts
Namco
Vivendi

Oh fun!

Favorite
Team Ninja
Capcom
Bandai Namco
Activition
Blizzard [Diablo ONLY]
Nintendo

Not so Fond off
EA
Bungie
R

Vivendi is not a developer, but I guess you mean when they expand their tentacles into their owned companies and alter their production rhytm.

I fully support anything coming from Blizzard. I'd say the same for Bioware, but their games got too many glitches, although BG2 is still THE RPG for me.

Favorite

Project Soul
Treasure (Gunstar Heroes fan)
Tri-Ace (Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 3)
MAIET (You've never heard of them)
Sega (Hey, they make VF. And Phantasy Star Universe)
Capcom (Marvel vs Capcom 2, Onimusha) Side note...who developed Devil May Cry 3? In a listing for Capcom, it only has Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 2....

Hate

EA (Shameless revamps of sports games)
Blizzard (Eh....)

Well, I don't actually play games from Insomniac or Kojima Productions, but I have a great deal of respect for both. I have at least played a couple of Naughty Dog games (Jak 2 and Jak 3), they have my respect too.

My favorite games are typically from Namco or Square Enix, but while I may like their games, I don't have much respect for them in certain actions they have taken the past couple of years.

Favorite:

Square-Enix (Yea I know but I'm an unabashed FF and Star Ocean fan)
Insomniac (Ratchet and Clank)
Sega (Unabashed Sonic fan)
SNK (King of Fighters fan)

Least Favorite:

EA (I just don't like sports games. I'd rather go outside and play)

And though they don't exist anymore, Working Designs (Lunar and Grandia) is also a favorite of mine.

And though they don't exist anymore, Working Designs (Lunar and Grandia) is also a favorite of mine.

Gotta agree with you there on WD, I found all my WD collector's edition boxes/stuff while cleaning out my closet this weekend. Hardcover manuals, soundtracks, keychains, stickers, maps, etc... WD really knew how to package a game.

tiggerkido said:
SNK (King of Fighters fan)

holy crap how could i forget about SNK. Metal slug and KOF is the reason why i was always broke in middle-school. They had an awesome machine at the fle market and arcade near me. KOF 98 For the EPIC win.

I have a soft spot for Atlus as a publisher (not a developer, so don't get those confused!) since I worked for Atlus USA.

Why not as a developer? Their games are considerably better than the piles of crap they usually publish. SMT3 and Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 are some of the best games I've played, though admittedly Persona 3 is absolutely horrible.

My favorite developer is Valve, they put so much effort into their games and support them with new content months, even years after release.

Ah, I wasn't clear on that. I mean Atlus USA's published games I like and support. I like their dev'd games as well but I've never managed to finish any of them, as with many RPGs I like. Kaneko is one of my favorite artists.

Valve is a fun developer, and they definitely keep their word in terms of content. BUT! I've been working with the Source engine for a while now, and goodness it could use some documentation -_- The wiki is there but oft unreliable :/

Why no Namco love? Soulcalibur, Tekken, Xenosaga, Tales series... Namco>all...except maybe SNK.

Capcom's on my shit list now.

I love most of their games. It's their business ethic that grinds my gears....let's release RE4 on everything >_>

let's try SFIV on Wii...>_>

let's make RE5 exactly like 4 because it sold. I know they wont innovate until it's too late like everything else. I just hope DMC5 makes up for 4's blatant shortcomings.

I really enjoy their games (except for RE4) but they're flawed. Dead Rising is a prime example of great idea turned to shit by bad clunky controls and terrible aiming.

My favoutite developers:

Nintendo (although, since the Wii came out they made only one decent title and a lot of bad games... im not giving up on m yet)

Square (i mean, they have to be credited for making the FF series one of the most consistenlty good series ever, and for being responsible for golden times on the SNES with some of the best rpg's ever made. Their consistency on making good games probably makes them the best developer imho.)

Namco (for making my favourite fighting game, and some pretty decent other games :))

Midway (their games arent always good, and hardly ever very "deep" but i can enjoy shallow games like Mortal Kombat and Rush a lot... not every game in my library has to be world changing as long as it is fun to play).

Capcom (they made some of my favourite games ever, i used to be a huge megaman fan, megaman 1, 2 and 3 as well as Wily's revenge and Megaman X1 and 2 were absolutly awesome)

Worst developer:

Davilex (dutch developer)... i honestly cant think of any developer that even comes close in terms of creating unplayable smack (for those who dont know: check Knightrider, or A2 racer, DONT BUY hahaha).

Back