FGC and Sexism.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm all about saying outlandish and offensive things from time to time, but I try to follow a basic principle of mass media: know your audience. To wit, women have been bombarded since youth with the notions that they exist largely to placate men and that they will not have (and perhaps don't deserve) the same kinds of career opportunities as their male counterparts. Research also shows that women's brains tend to hold on to upsetting or disturbing emotions for longer periods of time than men's brains do, which is not necessarily a disadvantage. In light of this, it shouldn't be difficult to understand why many women fail to see lewd comments and inappropriate advances as "just jokes." A similar principle applies with racial humor. Some of my friends can laugh at it, others have a tougher time of it, and for the most part I don't begrudge them their sensitivities. Bottom line: know who you're talking to.

I also think both Aris and Jared have presented a caricature of the situation. Yes, the FGC can be a rowdy, ribald bunch, but the kind of behavior they describe is neither condoned nor tolerated on as wide a scale as they would have you believe.

please stop talking

okay-face.jpg

And shame on Capcom for not immediately booting this guy off of their show and terminating their contract with him. If this is the kind of stupid unacceptable behavior that he'll display on live camera, how much worse is he when he's not in the public eye? By not doing so and just issuing a "its not our opinion" cookie-cutter public relations response, they are in effect validating/promoting this kind of unacceptable behavior. Shame on any of the other sponsers too associating theirselves with this.

Despite some opinions here, the mere term Fighting Game Community includes us as a whole. Someone hearing something atrocious like this about the FGC is going to immediately lump us in with it as we're also a fighting game community. Yes its unfair.

I'm pretty sure this was what they were originally intending. Look at how much extra media attention it's gotten. The fact that they were making a 'reality tv' segment and they invited Aris as one of the coaches made what happened inevitable, and probably intended.

I see nobody is winning.

This issue is far more complex than just harassment, behavior and community culture. It's also about public perception, notions of equality and respect, territorialism and just plain OG worship.

It almost seems like a woman entering the predominantly male FGC implies annoying behavioral changes males have to accommodate. At least that is what i'm picking up from all this. Suddenly, its not the sanctuary of graphic language and lewd behavior guys could escape to away from the outside world. I think idlemind's point of territorialism is really strong. From day one, arcade fighting games have been about winner stays and loser either pays, leaves or just watch from sidelines. Think about players that are REALLY good at this shit, i'll bet someone new showing up to the scene and demanding changes would be no different than walking in their home and giving orders, because to them, that shit is their house. Not trying to defend any of it though, that is just my take on their thought process.

Did anyone actually watch the Day 1 Vid?

!

Up until the point where she says "creepy," (where Aris should have took the hint to tone it down a bit, but let's face it, there are times when we realize too late that we have gone too far with our joking around) all it looks like to me is a bunch of people having a good time. Aris is obviously flirting and joking around in a non-serious manner and the fact that she was giggling and laughing was just encouraging it big time. This is common shit you see in high school or college or clubs except that sometimes there are clothes being taken off by both parties at some point in the near future. Granted, this type of back and forth banter doesn't belong in a live public gaming stream used as a promotion and marketing tool for a product.

If she was smart, she would have politely told him what was making her uncomfortable and requested that he stop. If she did, then yes, Aris is an ass. But if she didn't, which I'm betting is the case, then she really blew this out of proportion by playing the vulnerable female card because her skin wasn't thick enough, ultimately affecting Capcom's image and throwing a wrench in the FGC.

It almost seems like a woman entering the predominantly male FGC implies annoying behavioral changes males have to accommodate. At least that is what i'm picking up from all this. Suddenly, its not the sanctuary of graphic language and lewd behavior guys could escape to away from the outside world.

The behavioral changes are called being respectful to others, and it should happen all the time. There have been women, including one here, who have talked about their experiences with harassment and people just not being respectful in video game communities (even beyond the FGC). Everyone needs to condemn poor behavior. There is a difference between being salty and just being rude.

I feel for the poor girl who had to deal with Aris' b.s.; took the fight out of her so badly she just plain quit. The man's an embarrassment to the community as a whole. Not just of fighting games, but gaming in general. However, he's not the only one to blame. CAPCOM and the organizers should have reprimanded him when this was getting too obvious to hide (perhaps even kicking him out) and Team TEKKEN's other members should have spoken up and told him to cut it out. I have no kind words for the man and sincerely hope other members of the community give him the scorn and neglect he deserves.

Being a decent human being shouldn't have to be an annoying behavioral change.

When a scrub (such as myself) gets blasted, I get ragged on for being a shitty player. Considering the high proportion at least that I've noticed of LGBT members in SCV, when they get blasted, they don't get harassed for their sexual orientation, but for getting rocked. So why should a chick get sexually harassed at a FG rather than just getting the normal amount of banter/taunting/shit-talking that happens with everyone else.

Seems like he is apologizing for the conversation with Jared, not really so much about Miranda. I see a lot of "lets just move on" comments. If that is in the interest of the integrity of the FGC or whatever then sure, but we need to realize the woman isnt gonna just up and walk out of something like that unless it was really bad. So it deserves its due attention and may be a wakeup call. Considering sexual harassment in general, i'll go ahead and be the one to say it: Sometimes its just not clear what is acceptable and what is not. Every woman is different and has their own limits and i can even say from personal experience that those limits can change depending on various, unknown factors. Factors that a guy has absolutely no means of properly judging. For me, sexual jokes can only fly with a woman that i know VERY well but even then, i feel i have to be very careful not to cross a line because it could always show up anywhere.

So wait, does this mean we aren't supposed to treat people like equals?
Does this mean we *aren't* the same?

Now this is where the fun part of the conversation is.

So wait, does this mean we aren't supposed to treat people like equals?
Does this mean we *aren't* the same?

Now this is where the fun part of the conversation is.
No, we are supposed to treat people as equals. The problem is that parts of the FGC treats women as beneath them, not equals.

I honestly don't understand why I had to spell that out.

Back