Game Design: What Separates Challenge from B***sh**?

HydroJames

Shining Sea Dragon
This is a Game-play oriented thread.

This is not about Aesthetics such as Sound, Visuals, or Story.

What makes a fair challenge and makes fake difficulty in a Soul game?

The more limited your options become in a match-up, the more something will feel like "bullshit". One-hit kills or never getting a turn to attack is usually what gets people riled up.

The fewer lawnmower toaster blender options a character has, the more frustrating it becomes to play them.

Challenge: Playing SC: Lost Swords before it's closing. Legendary Souls.

Bullshit: Certain hitboxes (reach, whiffs, tracking), Viola's back grab infinite. Invisible hex edits.

That's all I can think of for now.

Last edited:
hello, playing a lot online these days. and I don't know if it's a connection issue or not. but usually find people that's insanely fast. like, they can easily avoid everything I throw at them, and their regular attacks and stepping look as if they are on turbo or something.Once I fought a dude with a patroklos mod that was next to impossible to hit/ grab. A blue imp with very strange proportions, that could not touch at all . these guys are insane fast and all their complex moves come out without fail, even very complex ones which should be a pain in the ass to input, specially with lag. One of the chilean guys I was fighting with got stomped by one of these people, and accused him of using hack to increase speed (which of course, he denied) .

I'm not a pro, but usually manage to deal with fast people using Viola, it's the only char I can use effectively against fast fighters and people who loves footwork. but it's becoming increasingly common that I can only be a barely decent match with viola and get creamed with every other character. I know there's a lot of insanely good players out there, and I know the game can be very fast at times, so I want to rule out the hacking and think that I just fought someone dedicated and talented. have you encountered any of these in your online duels?

Back