GB moves giving unblockable setups?

bganman

[08] Mercenary
Hello. I have been on these boards since soul calibur 4 but I never posted because I never felt qualified enough to bring something new to this board, given the amount of experience here. Also if i had a question i always found the answer so it was no need.

But now , in SC5, I have found an issue you probably know about, but I haven't found it in any search here.

I apologize in advance if this has been answered, I wasn't able to find it.

It seems that guarding a Guard Break move (blue lightning moves) give you some frames where you can't hold guard.

For example:

Cervantes: Dread Charge into A (guard break horizontal) then instantly aB. This seems to hit unblockable, couldn't find a way around it.

Also ZWEI has one that charges his werewolf and then stabs you at the same time. I can't block it whatsoever even though it is not an UB with flames.

Are these true unblockable setups?

I remember Maxi had one in SC4, 44[A+B] i think. Are there more of these in SC5? What are the properties causing them?

Can they be used with other characters like Nightmare, Astaroth, Aeon after their guard break moves?

Thanks.

Depends what the frame advantage is on block.

ZWEI 4A 214B wolf hit is an unblockable
Cervy DCA aB/CE etc. is an unblockable
Any move that gives more advantage than the impact time of a move is an unblockable.

Yes other characters have them. The other characters I know of besides the two listed above are

Natsu: B(K) guarantees POS A and POS A:6
Maxi: LI (B) fully charged guarantees LI A
Patroklos: 22_88 A(A) guarantees 6BB, 236B, 236B BE
Phyrra: 11_77 A(A) guarantees 236B4

Notice that nearly all the startup moves for the unblockable setups are either charged and/or takes a while to hit or is a high, giving opponents plenty of opportunity to duck/TC attack or move out of the way... ^_^

All of Leixia's GBs (except WR A+B bB, not sure about that one) lead to a free AA.

This sort of thing was in SCIV too. X's buffed SXS B gave you a free launcher when blocked.

Back