General Strats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Bad_Idea

[09] Warrior
Hey all. I've been struggling to play a solid Hilde game that doesn't just involve :B:-throw ringouts, and I can see a lot of potential (as soon as I learn how to chain charge moves together, that is =\).

The problem I'm having is that I don't know a lot of good setups for Hilde. :3::3::K: seems to be a good one, but it's so unsafe on block and step that it's a risk to use, and anyone who sees it coming can punish you hard.

What's the general approach for playing Hilde? What are you aiming to do to the enemy to keep them pressured and eventually open them up for meaty charge combos?

I believe I have the same problems with you concerning Hilde's playstyle. I spent lots of hours on gameplay and on forums regarding Hilde and her playstyle. Anyway I think you can find some nice info about her in the Double Penetration topic of this forum here:

http://www.8wayrun.com/f28/double-penetration-hilde-combos-t224/

In general, Hilde's true potential shines within her charged attacks and combos playstyle. She has a really good RO game and some nice mixups. Apart from her charged moves she doesnt stand a chance with her normal attacks.

You have to train yourself with the whole button holding idea and how to mix them up effectivly while trying to defend yourself or limiting yourself with either verticals or horizontal attacks depending on which button you are holding down.

Indeed her true potential is yet to be seen.

Don't worry man, after countless matches with Hilde, I still feel like I'm not getting the most out of her. Learning play with buttons held down for charge moves is probably the hardest part. I started getting better once I realized you don't have to use the level 3 charges all the time.

Make use of throws, either throwing or getting thrown, to use charge moves. This also applies to move recovery. For instance use her 4A, K combo, hold A while the knee is executing then release A for level 1 charge attack. Don't walk around holding buttons trying to find the perfect oportunity to use charge moves.

Also don't forget Hilde has very good kick attacks. Her knee 6A, middle kick 3A, stepping kick 66A, and 4B+K give her good attacks in close where her lance is mostly useless.

I actually get a little respect for playing Hilde now, where as I used to be a door mat. If you start getting overwhelmed forget the charge attacks, she has a lot of good basic moves, just experiment and find the ones that suit your playstyle.

I'm hearing way too much about the potential of the charge combos. Of course they are absolutely great for ring outs, but it shouldn't be the focus of a good Hilde player's game.

Hilde's strength is her ability to keep advantage and her ridiculously safe moves. Just take one look at her hit-block frame data and you'll see that I'm not kidding. She's absolutely beastly when she has you on the defense. Charged moves mesh into her playstyle very nice, but you can't expect to always be playing charge-happy-Hilde vs every character and stage, it just won't happen.

Since I've picked up Hilde I've tested out tons of different ways to play her and could honestly tell you all that she is best at close range. At mid range you could close the gap with charged moves(giving her advantage even on block and starting her up close game), from long range take advantage and charge for large combos. Up close you shouldnt be stubborn and ALWAYS limit yourself by charging a button for like 7 seconds for a pretty combo that might be blocked.

I'm a Hilde mainer SC4 and could tell you that Hilde could be played many different ways depending on your opponents actions. But all I'm trying to say is that IMO the safest and most efficient way to play Hilde is to try to keep the advantage as long as possible and use the charge moves for combo starters and advantage safegaurds.

Hope this helps a bit. *shrug*

I'm having a bit of fun playing Hilde vs a close-range character like Talim, Cass or Amy, since I'm finding her 1B to be INCREDIBLY useful for spacing. It'll make any rushdown character think twice about closing in too quickly, and it gives a nice opportunity for a B-charge while you close in again for the attack with A or K attacks. One thing I'm starting to get worried about is that I need a fast interrupt that hits mid, because I'm seeing :6::A:+:K: being TC'd a lot (which I use a lot, because I have :A:+:K: as a shoulder button, and I use that button for A charges).

I'm really starting to appreciate Hilde a lot more. I thought her weapon choice was a bit silly when they first announced her, but now that I'm comfortable playing as her, the blend between her shortsword style and longspear style seems even more seamless.

one thing i'm starting to get worried about is that i need a fast interrupt that hits mid, because i'm seeing :6::A:+:K: Being tc'd a lot (which i use a lot, because i have :A:+:K: As a shoulder button, and i use that button for a charges).

4b+k
3ba

I need help against Mitsurugi. I feel like a toy in hands of a kid with ADD.
C2_3 A don't GI a damn (too many thrusting hits), I never seem to be able to punish things with C3 B and 4B+K, 3K and 2A are not cutting it for interruptions. It doesn't help that 1b whiffes over and over.

Have you tried :6::A::+::K:? It's one of Hilde's fastest moves, and it should put Mitsu down unless he's using TCing moves. :8:_:7::K: is also a nice one to throw out, especially if you know this Mitsu likes to use lows. If you know this Mitsu likes to block high, :1::K::K: will make him start thinking twice.

If he's using a lot of vertical mids though (and Mitsu DOES tend to be B-heavy like a lot of characters), practice your stepping game against him. Scoring a CH :(3):_:(9)::K: gets you a free C3 :B: and so on.

Besides which, don't C2/C3 :A: GI mids? I don't see how it's not hitting unless the timing is just slightly off.

Sidestepping against Mitsurugi feels a bit frustrating. His verticals track lots (for being verticals) and so on. I don't use 6A+K that much against Mitsu, but I guess I should, but I need to work in my spacing first.

Against other characters, my C3 A GIs tons. Against Mitsurugi, yesterday I was getting it interrupted by vertical mid attacks (to my amusement).

I guess I should try to change 1B for 7_8K. Let's see how it goes.

It's probably my favoriute move ;)

I've been playing more and more "turtleish", not going into hand-to-hand combat, with 90% of my moves being charges. I don't really like that style, but it feels way more solid (and scary) overall. Now if I could get the correct timing for the combos online...

Haha, I'm also playing like a turtle. I mostly lure opponents into whiffing so I can C3B, but also have to mix it up a bit - only scrubs will let you trick them into whiffing all the time. I find that 2A+K or WC C3BBA are my friend against other people who tend to turtle. Against rush down, mostly I use C2/C3A's GI frames on their last hit (Easier to time than the first) and 9K if I know they're going to use a low, 1B if I know they're going to use a short-range quick move.
On maps without RO's I tend to stick to 64B+G's 92 damage, if I can pull it off, if not, the wall slam from most of the combo's is nice.
All in all, I tend to mix, whiff punishes and deceptive lows(2A+K - It even has slight Ring Out).
If Online starts to lag like hell (which it sometimes does) I'll charge a C4B and try to parry someone then throw it. Nothing like seeing your opponent's health go from 80% to KO when all you've done is play keep away for 30 secs.
And yes, I'm not that good a Hilde player. (Only tend to win 50% of matches against decent players [Players who mix up/GI/tend to get 80% win rate in games] I also don't play ranked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back