Good movement

UnseenWombat

[14] Master
So I was watching this vid of Partisan vs. some Siegfried player in the finals of some tournament. And the commentator noted that Partisan kept doing backstep then a quickstep to the side before moving in to attack.

I assume there was some purpose to this, since Partisan is so top tier. IDK, maybe baiting a whiff, but it made me wonder, is there any way to determine what movements or sequences of movements are advantageous to you and when to do them? Like I know there's no step G, but is there anything that approaches it? Maybe this backstep quickstep thing?

I see everyone talking about frames and advantage and disadvantage pretty scientifically, and even range sometimes vaguely, but no talk of good movement (even though I know it's unsafe, no one simply stands around all match). I don't even know if I'm asking the right question here. Can someone help out?

Good movement is closely related to range management and mindgames.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to see any subject on this since it's already a part of topic such as whiffing, spacing, deadzone, ect... like this very good one by DrakeAldan http://8wayrun.com/threads/spacing-lines-in-the-sand.14615/#post-546072.
It explains very well the rewards of good positionning or, as you say, good movements. (Look for the Keev vs RTD to see a proper instance of "good movements").

Backstep into quickstep before dash in attack is something I've seen a lot from high level players. It's a good way to reset the situation to neutral and is really useful if you're confident in your ability to land the first hit in that situation where neither player is attacking or has advantage.

I'd like to point out the relation between Frame Disadvantage and movement.

If you try to side step after thowing a barely safe move (and being blocked) and your opponent uses a fast vertical (or thrust) he will still hit you. The thing is, you need time to side step.

So, as rule of thumb:

After a barely safe move -> Guard

After a very safe move -> Side Step

After fairly safe move and already quite far from your opponent -> Back Step

Trying to back step when you're near your opponent is usually bad.

Back