Grabs and Ring Outs: SCRUB LESSONS

lol..epic ivyfanboy XD im still laughing and im gonna continue laughing tomorrow XD hahahha....very true and very nice ;) lol

We've all been there, beating the crap out of some poor scrub claiming lag is letting your skillfully placed Sophie 1AAs beat them to a pulp...and them wham! The cheap prick grabs you! Not only that, he throws you off the fricken map! But, wait, before we send him that deserving hatemail filled with truth and educating remarks about how his mom disowns his skillless ways, read this how to deal with "Grabs and Ring Outs: SCRUB LESSONS".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grabs: So many new players get pissed off with grabs, so lets look at what a grab is. A grab is typically a mid speed high attack that surpasses guard that inflicts a decent sum of damage if not leads to a combo. It also has the amazing ability to laugh at any GI attempts. Not too bad. So how do we beat this ultra cheap damage making machine without summoning Warble to JI us to safety?

• LESSON 1: Well pick up your controllers and look at your A and B buttons. These magical buttons when not used to spam 1A and BB with Mitsu online can be used to get out of the grab AFTER IT LANDS! So when SSAIYINVEGETA9000<BLEACHROX is wanting to grab, you have about 20+ frames to see the move and start guessing. But wait! I'm no mind reader, how can I know what throw it is?!? Well you can't, but you can usually look at trends and stage position to figure it out. If you're opponent has an RO throw and you're set up for it, you should probably start tapping the right button to stop it. If your opponent keeps using the same grab, start hitting that. If your opponent is me and I have my sword out...mash A...because I'm gonna iCS the crap out of you till you send me hate mail that leads me to redirect you to read this. If you simply can not get your MS. Cleo powers to cooperate with your Sherlock Holmes deducing skills, give up and pick Yoda or Apprentice.
    -
  • LESSON 2: So you didn't pick Yoda and you can't mash A+B with Apprentice still?!? Damn...well fine. Just duck the damn thing! Yeah, despite the sheer awesomeness that a grab is, you can boggle the minds of millions by hitting 2G and foil his plot to cheat you out of your inevitably skilled win! Not only does he miss, you have time to quickly poke him in the face for his "easy button" ways. If you feel like you got this down and your first testicle has descended, try using an attack that tech crouches! Not only will you duck under and CH the bastard...you'll earn that remaining left nut!
    -
  • LESSON 3: You can't guess A or B in time and you're afraid to fight at crotch height to avoid it...I guess you're doomed. Or you can spaz out and try any attack under !16 and CH him. But that might involve skill and looking at the convenient wiki. But that would mean studying and training...in a fighter. Only scrubs read guides, m'right?
    -
  • LESSON 4: Crazy idea now...grab back? Most grab happy fanatics induce a hypnotizing ray to trick the enemy into forgetting A+G and B+G can be hit simultaneously. This lures them into the trap of only using one at a time and getting grabbed repeatedly. But if you focus you can pull through and do the same thing back to him! And there's absolutely no way in hell he'll have the info you just obtained to stop it. Remember throws are broke as hell, so use it first. It'll save you valuable time writing hate mail about the incident and force them to write it for you. You can read the letter you would've sent them seconds later and know that they understand fully your thoughts on the matter since you made them write it. This shows epic understanding of the game and displays dominance by having the other player preach your own philosophy to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ring Outs: You've probably been fighting some scrub and are wrecking them with repeated Cervy 4B+Ks and BBB strings and are going in for the kill when the coward steps your money shot and then throws you off the edge. That bitch! I mean come on! I was winnin and...and...c'mon! Grabs are one thing, but NOTHING is worse than being rung out. For some reason the people at Namco thought it would be a great idea to have different levels that required different spacing tactics to play around. Namco's stupid, we want nothing but wall stages so wall splat characters can benefit more. So how to avoid it...

• LESSON 1: Well with some moves there's a crazy term called "safety". Apparently Namco felt like being dicks and sabotaged numerous attacks by making them unsafe on block. This means that if they block it, the other player can hit you! As well they made nearly every attack negative on block. This means that when you get blocked, the coward turtling in front of you recovers quicker, giving them an unfair shot to hit you before your next attack can skillfully slice them in half. These pussies have gotten this inside info and play by waiting till your Astaroth's 66AB gets blocked...and then cheap shotting you off the edge. They'll wait for days to win like this...it's sick really. But you can beat the bastards by using safe attacks and blocking when you're at a bad disadvantage after block. With their top secret info compromised they'll be forced to play the game like a normal person and lose once they realize they have no skills. Good job!
    -
  • LESSON 2: You fucked up again? Are you falling off the edge for them? Well try this. Apparently there's a blind spot for these shenanigans. If you look closely there are angles they can't get you on. Poor Ivy can only RO you forward and backward mainly if she's stupid enough to sit in sword mode. She also has to be right up on you unless she goes for a bullshitty A+B. So if you stand with her sides facing the edges not only will you not get RO'd, the player will be forced to run around like a headless chicken till you line up for an RO. You can use this strategy on all the characters! Each one has only a few ways they can RO you and many moves even telegraph since they're slow and stupid. You can even push it further by standing in position so all the attacks carry you inward! Nightmare's 1A6KK becomes completely useless if it doesn't RO, so use this lots. With the power of geometry these math tards will be wondering why A+G =/= RO.
    -
  • LESSON 3: So you stayed in the center and you played safer than a kid with 3 condoms on and you still fell off the fuckin map? I suggest equipping your custom character with a bike helmet and a drool bag, but if stylish solutions aren't your fix you to can also be a dick. Unknown to many, the ring out is a double edged sword. When an opponent is deviously plotting your falling demise, they're actually vulnerable to falling into their own trap. You can easily wreck these cunts by breaking your shield of geometry angles and standing in RO range. Now skillfully select one of your many "safe" attacks and quickly guard. The scrub will be so aroused by the RO possibility that they'll leap forward to end you and go about their day of baby raping, but then fail to realize they've just used an unsafe attack. Using all your willpower fight the urge to not be a dick. Because at that moment you need to be a dick. You are the dick. And being the dick you need to press a button that will RO them. It'll look uncannily similar to Smeagle falling into the Crack of Doom. Don't feel bad, there's nothing wrong with dick on dick action...you're just quicker...than that...other dick. Hmmm maybe the shortbus attire was a better option...

Well we've learned a lot today. We've learned that grabs and ring outs are cheap and using a grab to ring out is comparable to giving a nun aids, but we've also learned there are ways to fight this and maybe...just maybe...with this super top secret info that no decent player is ever aware of...we can beat these skillless scrubs...except Hilde...seriously what's up with that bitch!?? *que Zero Punctuation outro theme*

[Author's note] - Some may notice all instances of said scrub are declared a "he". This does not imply girls do not "calibur". One could assess anyone using grabs and ring outs is a walking vagina, but that would be offensive to all females, and last I checked those are good. So we men bare the burden of all nameless scrubs via gender as a statement of forgotten chivalry to not tarnish the name of many positive forms of walking vagina.

ZP for the WIN!

Nice.

[*]LESSON 3: So you stayed in the center and you played safer than a kid with 3 condoms on and you still fell off the fuckin map?[/SIZE]

wearing more than one condom is bad enough , because friction tends to make the rubber to tear , no matter how lubricated they are .

great guide .

Its pretty fun and simple as a Rock or Asty to do A+B (depending on the stage and angle, it does has a chance of RO) or my favorite 22B/88B on Rock which leads to a grab (which most scrubs I know can't grapple break).

Did I mention Rock is the cheapest character ever...I mean He can chain throw AAAAAAND Ring Out with it...

Rock tier > Hilde tier...ma' right? I think the whole community agrees with this logic. Since throws and ring outs are so cheap, it's no wonder Rock graces every tournament he touches. Where's our nerf patch Namco?

The cheapest throw in the game is undeniably Yoda's "head mashing infinite throw" 28B+G.

==> guaranteed instant hatemail

Did I mention Rock is the cheapest character ever...I mean He can chain throw AAAAAAND Ring Out with it...

Rock tier > Hilde tier...ma' right? I think the whole community agrees with this logic. Since throws and ring outs are so cheap, it's no wonder Rock graces every tournament he touches. Where's our nerf patch Namco?

Yeah, try USING Rock. He's got like 3 long range moves, 3 lows, and approx. 4 natural combos. Sooo... in essence beating Rock is a matter of having seen those 7 moves before and blocking them because he only has 2 quick attacks. Most of the time you can attack on disadvantage and still hit him.
Oh, and about the grabs... if your feet are facing Rock: B+G is damage A+G is RO potential and vice versa for head facing Rock.
Rock's movelist is the smallest in the game (99% sure) and the only reason he offers a challenge is because people don't fight him often.

I liked your RO/Grab avoid guide though... I almost forgot about Zero Puncuation, that guys the shit!

You might want to add to your guide wherever it has the bit about ducking vs. grabs.
1) You can also jump, or use a move that tech jumps, although not vs. Astaroth.
2) Ducking can get you grabbed also vs. Astaroth, Rock, Xiangua, and one of the Gladiator chicks. Though your tech crouch attack suggestion is good.
3) You seriously have to hit A+B+G against somebody doing both grabs simultaneously? That's nutz!

Yeah, try USING Rock. He's got like 3 long range moves, 3 lows, and approx. 4 natural combos. Sooo... in essence beating Rock is a matter of having seen those 7 moves before and blocking them because he only has 2 quick attacks. Most of the time you can attack on disadvantage and still hit him.
Oh, and about the grabs... if your feet are facing Rock: B+G is damage A+G is RO potential and vice versa for head facing Rock.
Rock's movelist is the smallest in the game (99% sure) and the only reason he offers a challenge is because people don't fight him often.

I liked your RO/Grab avoid guide though... I almost forgot about Zero Puncuation, that guys the shit!

You might want to add to your guide wherever it has the bit about ducking vs. grabs.
1) You can also jump, or use a move that tech jumps, although not vs. Astaroth.
2) Ducking can get you grabbed also vs. Astaroth, Rock, Xiangua, and one of the Gladiator chicks. Though your tech crouch attack suggestion is good.
3) You seriously have to hit A+B+G against somebody doing both grabs simultaneously? That's nutz!
Lol think you missed the point there. Take your hand and swipe it over your head while making airplane noises. I'll wait...

Now that that's done. Yes you can jump, but i didn't put that in because...well fuck...i dunno. Fuck your valid advice!

And you don't need to hit A+B+G...only one button. I'll rewrite that and clear it up.

[EDIT] - updated it! Rewrote Grab: Lesson 5 to make more sense and squeezed in a new lesson on air/crouch/ground throws. Now with abortion joke!

I did miss the point lol, apparently you were joking in mocking those who think grab banshees are the kings of this game rather than the queens lol. Fuck my advice? I like your style...

The whole thing behind jumping, though is it's normally faster than a crouch~WR and a tech crouch move sometimes will get you grabbed. Also, without reading your previous post I doubt I would have understood the following:

"When they go for it abort faster than a teen needing to fit her prom dress in a month and stand up and use what ever move you like."... Might want to use the term "pregnant teen," but who knows...

so... anyone got tricks for grab breaking?, i used to press g then slide input aB, its awesome, then i realised its just retarded and i was getting lucky alot breaking a throws. still, better than ducking though..

I similarly would slide aB then mash B or oppositely slide bA and mash A. Seems to work pretty well but again like what you'd do it appears just to increase your luck rate.

If you're having a problem with a grab queen try Ivyfanboy's advice and 1)duck to a WR (or) 2)use a tech crouch attack to a WR (I'd recommend #2). My advice (except vs. Astaroth) is to use 7_8_9 + A_B_K. I almost always use 9K because it allows for followups more so than the others, I do use 7A_B vs really quick short range mofos like Maxi though (that also might not allow Astaroth to air grab you but I haven't done it enough to know).

When you still have problems, fall back on your technique.

Made another article on spamming finally.

Anyway we could get a mod to change the thread to read: "SCRUB LESSONS: Grabs and Ring Outs", basically flip what it is now?

Man your articles are hilarious. I LMAO. Here's a summary of what you said in terms of great advice:

-->Throw-Escape Tips
/ Input the break AFTER the attempt lands!
/ Learn all characters' throws (especially Rock, Astaroth etc - and learn what moves have tech properties for avoidance e.g. TJ (Tech Jump) against air throws) so if they keep doing the same throw
you will know whether it is A+G_B+G
/ Assume the opponent will use throws with RO properties when near the edge
/ 2G
/ Use a move with tech crouch (TC) properties to not only evade, but CH
/ CH using <i16 frame attacks
/ Bait opponents with knockdown and crouch throws, quickly stand up and CH
/ Mix-in throws against the opponent so they have to concentrate on one-button escapes (as opposed to two button throw attempts)

-->Ring Out Avoidance
/ When attacking near the edge use safe attacks so the opponent cannot gain frame advantage to easily RO you. When defending the opposite applies; wait until a frame advantage is gained
/ Learn what moves different characters have to inflict RO and position yourself so that they become ineffective; even to the extent that if the attack hits it pushes you inward

Thanks for this thread but I've read on Gamefaq that Ivy's iCS let you 3 frames to cancel the grab is that true ?

I think you mean break. iCS cannot be cancelled (dear god would that be a funny convoluted twitch tho). I don't know the exact frames for grabs to be broken but command grabs are usually if not always a smaller time frame to do so. I believe it is mentioned iCS is harder to break than vanilla CS, so this may be true. I will come back to this.

Holding forward doesn't change the grab (ur thinkin MK?) and not everyone's 2K is impervious. Ivy gets beat clean by throws even though it tech crouches high attacks, I assume other characters as well. Also 2K is low reward and only gives frames with a few characters on normal hit. Best to use a WR attack or a higher reward move with early TC. For Ivy I'll use SW/CL 6A+B if i get a good read or 4K if I'm unsure.

...the fuck i get serious in this thread?

This is kind of a pretentious article. Grabs dont need a whole page of text to explain it can be explained in 1 paragraph but a lot of good stuff in there.

This is kind of a pretentious article. Grabs dont need a whole page of text to explain it can be explained in 1 paragraph but a lot of good stuff in there.
Actually, even with a whole Paragraph, grabs are largely bitched about from online players- case in point- you.

Back