Greetings

Saphen

[08] Mercenary
Hello Raphael fans, my name is Saphen. Now you have not seen or heard of me before but I have heard of you. I've been reading posts on here for a time but simply never made an account but after reading over the Raphael forums as of late I decided it was time.

So now that I am past that we end up with that the most important philosphical question of all.

"Why do I care who you are?"

Oh well I am glad you asked, it doesn't really matter who I am but more over what I want to do. This forum seems so quiet and I am sure everyone knows the reason for that, it is because Raphael in the competitive sense feels maybe a bit sad at the moment. I played Raphael in 2 and 3 not 4 and that is my experience as far as those matters go so I am a bit rusty. But there is hope!

I would like the same as many of you who still post here would like, for Raphael to be a better competitor now we have two options for increasing is overall ability.

1. Work with what we have
2. Put enough content out there so that Namco will change his flaws that are beyond help or measure.

Now I am by no means a player of exceptional skill, but I am a hard worker which accounts for something and I am someone who believes that the more data a company has to study the better the results so here is what I suggest.

Since I would imagine most of you here are a great deal better at this character than I am or certainly have better knowledge of the numbers if you will (frame data and the like) I would like to ask you guys to start posting videos of battles so we can study them.

"But Saphen....there is already a video thread, that's what it is for." Well yes of course there is but it isn't really being used anymore (minus one kind soul who seems to continue to post battles despite myself. A cookie for you at my next party.) But I am thinking bigger than that. I actually want to make a youtube channel specifically for Raphael. I want him to get exposure and I want people to come to the call of playing him. I want a vast amount of minds working on either finding the solutions to current problems or making Namco see what issues we face everyday as we play online. If anyone is interested in helping in such an endeavor I would like to hear your input. We would post matches and talk about the issues or the solutions that came about from the battles and I would REALLY like some players of a calibur (heh pun) above myself to send in videos and have permission to talk about what is taking place.

Now will this guarantee anything gets done? Well...no but it will give us the most opportunity to have success. If Namco cares about how popular Raph is let us make him more popular, if they care about balance let us show them what might not be balanced or at least give them food for thought, if it would just be fun to play Raph regardless of his current state let us have a blast doing that.

In either case if you managed to get through this entire post I am proud of you, I will increase your allowance so you can save up for that fancy new bike you always wanted! (disclaimer allowance void if living on earth). But regardless let me know what you think? It can't hurt to build a community of players talking about Raph and on top of that caring about his standing in the game.

Since I would imagine most of you here are a great deal better at this character than I am or certainly have better knowledge of the numbers if you will (frame data and the like) I would like to ask you guys to start posting videos of battles so we can study them.

"But Saphen....there is already a video thread, that's what it is for." Well yes of course there is but it isn't really being used anymore (minus one kind soul who seems to continue to post battles despite myself. A cookie for you at my next party.) But I am thinking bigger than that. I actually want to make a youtube channel specifically for Raphael. I want him to get exposure and I want people to come to the call of playing him. I want a vast amount of minds working on either finding the solutions to current problems or making Namco see what issues we face everyday as we play online. If anyone is interested in helping in such an endeavor I would like to hear your input. We would post matches and talk about the issues or the solutions that came about from the battles and I would REALLY like some players of a calibur (heh pun) above myself to send in videos and have permission to talk about what is taking place.

What do you have in mind ? Create a youtube account with shared access where we all contribute raph vs videos and raph glitch videos and raph combo/trap videos ? Is that even possible ? does seem interesting

Something like that. I do want to make my own personal youtube for fun but I would also like a youtube account or group that could post their videos and commentate on them or I would even commentate them if they are nervous about speaking in public. We trade ideas and get the word out about Raph. Create a big enough need and they will have to fill it. Business 101.

And someone with your knowledge of the character and game would be better off speaking than myself. I have no problems getting hyped and having fun but I am a fairly average player and I lack the knowledge to say my moves on the fly as of right now. At least in number pad notation.

Something like that. I do want to make my own personal youtube for fun but I would also like a youtube account or group that could post their videos and commentate on them or I would even commentate them if they are nervous about speaking in public. We trade ideas and get the word out about Raph. Create a big enough need and they will have to fill it. Business 101.

And someone with your knowledge of the character and game would be better off speaking than myself. I have no problems getting hyped and having fun but I am a fairly average player and I lack the knowledge to say my moves on the fly as of right now. At least in number pad notation.

Alright are you going to create a 8WRaphael account, or SC5RaphVid account or does it already exist ? Just post the account here, and people will PM you for the password I suppose. Then we'll all take turns uploading videos. That does sound pretty promising. I'll dig around my online log and start using the XMB function

------

Ok I created a youtube account : SC5RaphaelVideo@gmail.com

Anyone got videos they want to upload into this archive ? Don't be shy! I don't know why quality of video is so piss poor. Can anyone teach me about improving it or how tags work in youtube ? I don't really know

I'm going to see to it that this thread gets merged with the video thread, but I'll leave this separate for a short while

Now a few suggestions. You might want people you trust or a few select people to upload videos and the rest e-mail them to that account. Because trolling does happen (ON THE INTERNET?! SAY IT AIN'T SO SAPHEN?) so you might want to make sure something that would bring down the youtube account doesn't get posted on there.

Uh how do i do that ? I'm pretty trusting of the raphael users here, we don't have that many troublemakers (better not!)

For those who want to make videos. Have them e-mail the videos (commentated or not) to you. You can choose to commentate them if you have a mic. I am working on getting that stuff so I could commentate my own videos because I think someone talking on the video brings a fair amount of hype to things, would bring more pull to the cause and the like. And while I trust the raph fans in general I wouldn't say, post it publicly on this forum. Let them message you and be aware of who they are so you don't get nailed with an issue later. Then simply upload them to a youtube account. If you don't know how to do that google uploading youtube videos. It is fairly simple. Unfor err....I mean Fortunately I have a wedding to go to soon so I can't go into a great detail about how that works. But I think if we can get this streamlined it would be an awesome effort to learn the character and improve the battles we can have in the future.

Ok i've uploaded two videos. I thought the whole process of this was to create an easy access youtube account where we all contribute.

But if you think its safer if just one person reviews all submissions before uploading then i've got to think about who i'll delegate to have this important task.. heheh

Id make a sticky about it. Give the password out to the people you feel would contribute and try to urge people to talk about what is happening or maybe we can get someone who will commentate the videos or we could encourage people to post in the comments various tatctics they would have used etc. But a system for uploading would be best.

I love open source videoing I really do. My only concern is something that could hurt our cause by posting something insulting, extremely negative, or basically crying.

The video sites should indicate whether the Raphael wins or loses the match - or, which one wins in a ditto. Since this page is for education and dialogue, not entertainment. Also, would it be a channel?

The project runs the same risks of vandalism as Wikipedia. Wikipedia uses admins who can ban permanently, but I don't think we'll need it. Just have to dedicate to removing any content that's not appropriate - and that's assuming a "no secrecy" password is used. If the password is controlled even partly, it will be far and away safe.

This is an ambitious project and I support it. I'll keep my theories on why the Raphael players have proportionally less videos, to myself.

The video sites should indicate whether the Raphael wins or loses the match - or, which one wins in a ditto. Since this page is for education and dialogue, not entertainment. Also, would it be a channel?

The project runs the same risks of vandalism as Wikipedia. Wikipedia uses admins who can ban permanently, but I don't think we'll need it. Just have to dedicate to removing any content that's not appropriate - and that's assuming a "no secrecy" password is used. If the password is controlled even partly, it will be far and away safe.

This is an ambitious project and I support it. I'll keep my theories on why the Raphael players have proportionally less videos, to myself.

I would like both entertainment and education videos on this channel. But I would like them labeled as such like "Loss vs Alpha P or Funny auto GI." And when I can work out posting videos I am going to commentate them. Not sure if I will do this on my own channel or add them to this one depending on what you guys think but I enjoy watching commentator videos. It gives a sense of interaction, especially for those who are less familiar with the character. I can go in depth on what I was thinking and I might want to do even live commentary I haven't decided yet.

But you are right Wiki is a good example of open source and we can certainly go that route though I would argue that someone CAN change the password on you in this case and not in the case of Wikipedia. I am going to write up a few templates on how to implement this idea in a streamline form and I am also going to make some kind of banner for the website. Something along the lines of "Project Raph" or something if I can think of a title with a tad more wit to it. After a wedding my brain is a bit tired.

Hey Saphen, I can't upload videos and contribute to this new channel, but is it okay if I still watch the videos and critique them??

Yeah, I can't upload videos either, but I'd love to be able to contribute some other way. Is there something we can do?

Hey Saphen, I can't upload videos and contribute to this new channel, but is it okay if I still watch the videos and critique them??
Yeah, I can't upload videos either, but I'd love to be able to contribute some other way. Is there something we can do?
As Fendante said, critiquing is always good. Any helpful comments are valuable.

And I really like you, Saphen. This will be fun.

As Fendante said, critiquing is always good. Any helpful comments are valuable.

And I really like you, Saphen. This will be fun.
Raphael players critiquing Raphael videos....that might just be crazy enough to WORK! Lol of course you guys can that is the idea. And trust me once I get videos up I am sure you guys will have a field day with my personal problems. No worries though I am improving. I did find out if you stick them with the pointy end you do more damage!

Does anyone have a decent camera capture device ? Having prep analysis and combo breakdown would be pretty beneficial but no one is going to set up an online match just to do that .

Does anyone have a decent camera capture device ? Having prep analysis and combo breakdown would be pretty beneficial but no one is going to set up an online match just to do that .

honestly... i find the quality of some of the newer smartphone is good enough nowadays.... recently just recorded a playback of one of my matches doing that.... and it looks quite alright.... i guess the problem is...if you can find something to keep your phone in place while you're in training mode demonstrating....

if you have someone else dedicated to SC and goes over to your place to play you can tell that person to be the 'cameramen'.... this is how some of the HK players are capturing 'jf tutorials' now.

-LAU

There is a box you can get specifically for recording video gameplay. I am looking into it right now but if you want a name and model type for you to look up let me know.

Back