Hate Speech: Sharing is Caring (For Yourself)

This week’s glut of news—character reveals, hands-on impressions, and even a release date—left me, as many of you, impatient for more. There’s really no antidote for it; the more I find out about SC5, the more I find myself drifting off into happy fantasies of the horrible, borderline unjustifiable things I’ll be doing to you people once the game drops. It also got me thinking generally about the ways in which information of all sorts spreads throughout our community. Everything from juicy pre-release teases to advanced post-release tech comes to us through the same vectors: our fellow players. Whether by attending an event with a demo, working hard in practice mode, or, often enough, just getting lucky, many of us will find ourselves in possession of information that might confer an almost insurmountable short-term advantage. I’m here today, though, to convince you that sitting on information, no matter its short-term benefit, is almost never a good idea.

ceeTD.jpg
The Wolves are you when you share, and the carcass are the STSFN guys

An astute reader PMed me not long ago with a list of what he felt were the qualities of a good player. One of those qualities, “[t]each other players things they do wrong. And how to improve (in a nice way),” is utterly pedestrian here. Skilled players, if they’re interested at all in winning, have an obligation to do precisely this. “But Hates,” you whimper, “when I teach my friends how to get out of my [insert setup, tech trap, mixup, or non-guaranteed pseudocombo here] they start beating me, and I’m playing to win!”

True, gimmicks, parlor tricks, and all sorts of smoke-and-mirrors crap will float you along for
a little while with local competition. Hell, stumbling upon something cheap early enough might even lead to a decent showing at a major. That said, relying on the ignorance of others is not a viable long-term strategy. There are some players out there, though I won’t name names, whose entire strategies consist of a desperate struggle to remain one lame trick ahead of their competition. This sort of play is ultimately a house of cards. It will fall and you will fail.

knPh1.jpg
Ahem

Enlightened Self-Interest

Sharing information primarily works to combat this by keeping you honest. For example, when I uncover a strong tactic or cheeseball trick, I make certain to at least tell everyone with whom I’m practicing regularly. If it’s particularly nasty, I’ll share it with the community at large. I wouldn’t do it for recognition or some other form of retrograde nerd fame (not when writing a column is far more satisfying, anyway) because that’s just akin to being the “combo video guy” or “that dude who beat 3 opponents with Rock at Evo.”

4ro9O.jpg
I left Yoda and Taki out on purpose.

If that sort of thing appeals to you, great. Make yourself a little trophy and put it on the shelf next to all the other ones you undoubtedly have labeled “Most Improved” or “Participant” if that’s what it takes to get information flowing. The reason I do it (and why players truly invested in pushing their skills to the absolute limit should do it, too) is so I’ll be ready when I finally face off in a tournament against someone who knows all of my silly little tricks. Rather than being worried about whether our opponent has experience against our characters, we can move forward with extreme confidence.

Moreover, sharing strategies saves both time and energy. Think for a moment: sometimes we’re
all “too close” to a particular strategy and therefore fail to see its flaws. Most of us have at some point invested a great deal of time and energy into perfecting what I’ll generously call non-optimal tactics.

Something may strike you as a borderline degenerate strategy (see last week’s column), but another player might be able to crack it in almost no time. Rather than wasting time trying to think through every possible scenario or, even worse, building an entire playstyle around something that simply doesn’t work, sharing tech essentially allows you to outsource your thinking and problem solving. If I tell five people about something I discovered, I’ve multiplied my ability to test that tactic by at least a factor of five, and probably more if they go on to tell others. This, in turn, will bring to light all of the flaws in one’s game plan and give you the opportunity to address them.

Non optimal tactics meets someone who hit training mode. Watch and learn.

If a tactic is truly sound, you’ll be able to use it effectively irrespective of whether your opponent is
actually familiar with it. In fact, it’s often the case that with a little practice you will be able to use your opponent’s knowledge against him. This may seem counterintuitive at first, but recall how frustrating it can be to play an honest to goodness button masher once you’re beginning to figure out what you’re doing. You can certainly steamroll a masher, but you can’t really mix one up because they simply don’t know enough about the game to realize when they should be on the defensive. Pushing your tactics out into the community goes a long way toward inoculating yourself against losing to someone who doesn’t know enough to realize he should be afraid.

In the end, much of this is about scale. If you consider your overall pool of opponents to be the
computer, your mom, and whoever on the block is brave enough to venture down into your basement apartment, then by all means, be stingy with your knowledge. Those of us interested in competing at the highest levels, however, must consider everyone with a copy of the game as a potential opponent, in which case it’s outright foolishness to put all of your faith in the ignorance of others. The community we have is a valuable resource. It’s important we use it to help ourselves, even if others benefit during the process.

Work Smarter, Not Harder, Redux

Before closing, I want to mention the inverse of the problem I discussed above—namely, the people who want to “figure things out on [their] own.” Again, this community is a resource. There’s no special prize for reinventing the wheel, so it’s foolish not to take advantage of the work done by others in terms of figuring out optimal strategies and combos. Never take anything as gospel, of course, but do not under any circumstances succumb to misplaced pride. It’s antithetical to a winning attitude. There’s no point in debating who discovered what, who ripped what off, and the like, because ultimately whoever uses these tactics best ends up winning. Save brain cycles on discovery and use them for devising new applications whenever possible, then let us know about them. The net result is that everyone gets better. Work smart and you’ll stay ahead of the competition.

Homework:

If you’re part of a regular scene, fill people in on your most cherished tactics. See if they can’t force you to step your game up. Or rant at me about sandbagging. Sandbagging is way cool.

Seriously.

This is really odd. I was wondering what was up, since the only people that ever punished it at DEV were lolo and Omega, and they didn't (or couldn't) punish it all that hard - lolo used Yoshi's 6K, and Omega used Zas's bK or BB4. Honestly, I just thought that people were trying to do either SC damage or set up mix-ups or something. Even weirder is that I never got TAS B'd for it against any Sophie users, and I played all of them that were at DEV...I think Vincent may have AS B'd me once, though.

So not only did I take Signia's money partly because of a gimmick, but if I had gotten into the right pools I could have potentially made at least Top 8 at DEV solely on the manliest gimmick in the game!

Probably not...

This is a good topic, though, and while at this point, it's a bit too late to let people know about gimmicks in SCIV, I know for a fact that one of the topics that most SCV Soul Arenas will have is going to be "_____'s Gimmicks (and how to beat them)".

Wait, 1b for who now?

Also Brian, I know what "STSFN" stands for in that first photo, but I don't think you mentioned it in the article. For those of you that aren't all old and shit like me, it means "Save that shit/stuff for Nationals." As in finding a trick, and holding into it until the big tournies. That was born out of the old arcade culture though, and things have changed. Much easier to share info now, and we should be taking advantage of it.

Think of it this way, anything you find and hold onto as a secret strategy is GOING to be seen eventually, otherwise it's no good to you. And when we see it, we're GOING to break it down one way or another. So in the end, harboring that old school STSFN mentality is just gonna make you look like a real douche. And in the long run we're still gonna beat whatever gimmick you hid from us anyway.

Glad to see people getting enlightened. ;) While it may have some short-term cost to it, I stand by my assertion that training yourself not to rely on ignorance ultimately makes you better.

On a selfish note, too, I want people to have a better working knowledge of the game just so I don't have to hear people talking about how Nightmare or Maxi aren't trash...ah, a boy can dream.

You know I've come to look forward towards your articles Hates, I truly enjoy reading someone who speaks logically rather then with their opinion. Reading these truly make sense and I agree with you 100%. Keep up the good work!

be careful "sharing" knowledge. if you just won a match it can come across as total asshole mode

be careful "sharing" knowledge. if you just won a match it can come across as total asshole mode

I think that's mainly governed by how you share it and whether or not your opponent is playing Feelings Calibur (christ, I really do like that term =P). There are definite ways to deflect accusations of dickishness. Then again, sometimes dickishness is okay. These are tournaments, not hippie drum circles we're talking about. Being a sore winner is a venerable tradition!

Reminds me of the story of the debut of the so-called "Valle CC" back during the heyday of SF Alpha 2. At the old B3 tournament, Valle debuted his "Valle CC" a tactic so powerful it defined the A2 metagame from that point on. Off course, the amazing this is that, during the finals, John Choi (who had no prior knowledge of this before seeing Valle use it) was actually able to use it against Alex leading to some very intese and tight matchups, but that said, Valle still won out in the end.

This post makes a lot of sense, but I can still see a lot of players sandbagging, hoping the new tricks they discovered in the lab (in combination with the gimmicky nature of them) are powerful enough to carry them through a tourney. In the long-run, yes, you will become a better player if you share your information, but I guess what I'm saying is that not all people have the 'honor' (for lack of a better word) to look past the short-term advantage to see the long-run.

I think the way the 8wr community is shaping up, information sharing will be easy. It seems that users/veterans around here are realizing the importance of community in respect to the life-time of a competitive game. Keep up the good work everyone *group hug*.

This post makes a lot of sense, but I can still see a lot of players sandbagging, hoping the new tricks they discovered in the lab (in combination with the gimmicky nature of them) are powerful enough to carry them through a tourney. In the long-run, yes, you will become a better player if you share your information, but I guess what I'm saying is that not all people have the 'honor' (for lack of a better word) to look past the short-term advantage to see the long-run.

Here's my quick and dirty cost/benefit analysis on keeping secrets:
If I base my game around one bullshit tactic, let's say I'll be able to use it to cheese out 99% of my opponents. Without being exposed to playing without that tactic, however, running into that 1% in a tournament is death.

If I have experience against people who can counter my strats, however, I no longer fear the outliers who know about my bullshit tactic, while at the same time I have enough faith in my own skills as a player that I think I can beat people without parlor tricks, anyway, so...

Cost: Might have to use my brain more frequently in a tournament.
Benefit: Removal of potential guaranteed losses due to relying on tricks.

Honor doesn't factor into my decision-making process at any point.

I generally go about that mindset in playing any game. I usually try to analyze lots of different ways to dealing with certain 'setups' and attacks and learning different ways to deal with them. Still, it's kind of hard when I'm coming into the game later than most and the people I play with are so solid they tend not to use gimmicky stuff (I sometimes even tell them stuff to use against me more). One of my goals in playing any fighting game is to have my opponent play me and not simply try to run their gimmicks on me...because I know I can outplay anyone if I try hard enough.

P.S. I call every Chicago player out on using janky shit against other people, even if it works.

P.P.S. It's unbelievably funny how many fighting game players either throw all their gimmicks at the very beginning of a match or the very end.

Live streams

5 Viewers
sc_toothpaste
sc_toothpaste
short stream/vs kinetic clash(!donate) (she/her pronouns) (!sr)
3 Viewers
RespectVibes
RespectVibes
Casual Online PC Matches - Kilik
1 Viewers
LadyKaliMari
LadyKaliMari
Friday Night Gaming |ENG/ 18+| ENVtuber |!discord

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member