Hate Speech: Stop Playing (Mindgames) With Yourself

We’re closing in on the one month mark and things are going pretty strong. Local tourneys abound (I’ve participated in four already), we just finished a very exciting Winter Brawl tournament, and next weekend is the much anticipated Final Round. Thanks to all these opportunities to get out and compete, not to mention the fact that we’ve had the game long enough to begin developing real strategies, it’s natural that almost everyone is focused intently on improvement. I’m right there with you.

This week’s column is the product of a number of conversations I’ve had with various people over IM, in private messages, and in person, all on the subject of improvement. While the particulars are always, well, particular, I still found myself returning time and again to a handful of overarching themes, specifically with regard to the countless ways we get inside our own heads and undermine our chances for success. Oftentimes we end up struggling not only against our opponents, but also against ourselves and the detrimental thought patterns we allow to take hold in our spongy, traitorous little brains. So in order to save myself the hassle of having the exact same conversation a million more times, let’s just go ahead and have a heart to heart about it now, just you and me. So without further ado, let's get into a few specifics.

Self-Mindgame 1: “I can’t do ____ against ____.”

Fighting gamers, in my experience, have an unnecessary tendency to think in absolutes. Whether it’s “never do” this or “I’ll never be able to” that, these sorts of thoughts are dangerous because they impose artificial, arbitrary limits on play and improvement, respectively.

While it’s not a good policy to do stupid or reckless things in serious play, taking moves completely out of your arsenal because they’re unsafe, beatable, or what have you, doesn’t do any favors. News flash: Pyrrha Omega has a very scary punisher, but you’re probably going to need to employ a few unsafe moves if you want to beat her. Winning in SCV or any other fighting game isn’t about perfection or safety, but instead it’s about out-thinking and outplaying your opponent. Part of this is absolutely about limiting your risk, of course, but many new and intermediate-level players pare down their move lists far too aggressively when faced with a scary punish. Remember that the more options you have, the more dangerous you are. The more things you’re willing to do, the more your opponent must keep in mind when defending. Rather than simply writing off large chunks of your offense, it’s better to just use them more sparingly. Think of your health as a resource that you can spend in order to keep your opponent worried about multiple options. Be practical—don’t take anything out of your arsenal until and unless your opponent forces you to do so.​

Self-Mindgame 2: “I will never be any good.”

never say never again badge.jpg
Confidence is sexy, or so they tell me.
A more pernicious sort of “never” comes from deciding that certain things are altogether impossible. If you find yourself saying you’ll never be able to beat a particular player, never be able to execute a difficult combo, or even thinking that opponents will never scout a favorite strategy of yours, you’re making a serious error. Specifically, you’re doing the other guy’s work for him. I know, I know, you’ve heard it all before, and it reeks of scummy self-help garbage, but there’s actually some truth to it. Any time you assume you’ll lose or that you can’t learn something, you’re indulging in classic self-sabotage. Here’s a useful thought experiment: try ditching all of your negative expectations for a while. Whether it’s consistently making tight punishes, executing Alpha Patroklos combos, or even something as simple as making sure you attempt a throw escape every time you’re grabbed, replace “never” with “not yet,” and see what happens.

Most broadly and most importantly, don’t allow yourself to think “I’ll never be a good player.” It may seem unnecessary to say this part, but this is actually the conversation I end up having the most frequently with people. It’s easy to become discouraged after getting shined up by a great player, which is when this negative absolutism crap really takes hold. Don’t let it. Fighting games are about process more than results; matches and tournaments end, but you’re always allowed to keep working and improving. Who cares if you lose 100 straight games, provided you learned something in the process? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: everybody had to start somewhere. Each and every good player out there is proof that good practice pays good dividends, so become situationally retarded. Forget the loss, but remember the lesson.

Self-Mindgame 3: “I am Billy Badass!”

At the other end of the spectrum from “I’ll never be any good” we find unwarranted self-satisfaction, which is an equally dangerous sort of thought. Do everything in your power to avoid falling into the trap of thinking you’re good enough already, because, frankly, there’s no such thing. Confidence is an almost universal trait in top players, but never contentment. As soon as you allow yourself to be satisfied with your ability level, you lose some of the fire that helped you improve. You also become immediately vulnerable to everyone out there who’s still grinding it out, looking for ways to get and maintain that all-important marginal edge. It’s critical that all of us remain focused on improving and refining our game whether we’re in contention to win majors or just hapless bracket fodder.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png
He'd never lose at all if he didn't play low-tier.

A helpful corollary to this is practicing honest self-assessment. Are you actually the greatest ever? What are your real strengths? What are your real weaknesses? How can you start improving upon them? These are important questions that each of us needs to be asking ourselves and answering with ruthless accuracy. You’re under no obligation to share these assessments with other people, so there’s no reason to soften the blow. Instead, embrace a no-excuses mindset. Pretend there are no such things as bad matchups, bad characters, and so on, and focus exclusively on what things you can tighten up to give yourself the best possible shot at winning. I do this sort of thing briefly after every game I play, and in much more depth after every session or tournament I attend, and it really does get results.

Self-Mindgame 4: “Everyone’s stupid but me.*”

*Only I may say this with any degree of accuracy.

In addition to looking inward, it’s important to talk with skilled players about what you can do to improve. Players both in your local scene and here on the forums are generally quite willing to work with people and help them get better. As such, the community becomes an incredibly valuable resource for improvement. Many people seem put-off by this to an extent. Asking for advice might seem like tacitly admitting someone else is a better player, which can be galling, but beating ass should always trump personal pride in these matters. Talk to people, get feedback, and collaborate on strategies. See if what other people identify as your potential weaknesses match up to what you saw in yourself, and then devise ways to work past those issues.

Stupid Bush.jpg
This actually works on a couple of levels. Hurray!

Similarly, don’t reinvent the wheel. There’s no special prize for discovering on your own things that everyone else already knows. Don’t believe me? Go calculate the force of gravity, publish your work, and see whether or not you end up getting a Nobel Prize in physics. If people already know optimal strategies and combos for your character, use them. Tweak and innovate, of course, and make sure you understand what you’re doing, but save yourself as much time and hassle as humanly possible.

Self-Mindgame 5: “All I need is . . .”

Many players become fixated on one particular thing they can’t yet do, convincing themselves that this
one move, combo, tactic, or gameplay element is all that stands between themselves and greatness. I’ve come to call this the “engineering mindset” because it almost characterizes a person’s gameplay as a broken machine that’s just in need of one crucial repair. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case, and usually when a player finds his holy grail like this, the expected massive improvement doesn’t materialize. That, of course, makes it very easy for some of the above self-mindgames to take hold, which is definitely not a good outcome. Fighting games are incredibly complex hybrids of technical, mathematically-governed systems and the grimier elements of human psychology. Feeling things out, understanding your opponent, and developing a sense of the more organic, less quantifiable elements of gameplay are just as important as anything that could reasonably fall under the engineering mindset fallacy, if not more so. Focusing all one’s attention on measurable and neglecting these elements is ineffective and a recipe for disappointment.

Homework:

These are just a handful of the topics I find myself discussing, but taken together I believe they constitute a decent cross-section of mindsets to be avoided. Now it’s your turn to chip in. Tell me about the mindgames you’ve played with yourself in the past, how they’ve screwed you, and how you overcame them. What are some of the other major obstacles when it comes to improvement? How do you train and get better?

@Original_Hater

Learning a moveset/frames/combo automatically make you better. This is something a lot of people think about fighting games: You're good because you know the "tricks". This is incorrect, knowledge is meaningless if you cannot apply it, you're not going anywhere by just having a map, you gotta know how to read it.

Here's an interesting self-mind game I don't think you hear people talk about a lot, but I do it all the time:

Respecting my opponent too much. I can't tell you how many times I've lost a round or even a match because I assume my opponent has the competence to guess blocking properly or perform actual mix-ups on me, so I constantly change my offense/defense to try to keep them guessing, when it turns out they're not even to the skill level of understanding that you need to guess this stuff. So I end up eating the same mid because out of habit I start to think that my opponent will try to mix me up with a low, or I end up not going all out with my offense because I think my opponent will be smart enough to block it. So many missed opportunities for Viola's 1A+B because I think my opponent will guess low block. (-21 on block)

A little off topic, but it needs to be said. Sean Connery doesn't say never. Never says Sean Connery. Also I find that what norik434 said about knowing how to read the map is pretty tight logic that I can agree with.

One of the biggest issues for me learning anything period is pride. I'm a quick learner and often I get too proud of what I have already done and forget what I have yet to do. To get past this hurdle, I like to keep myself as humble and teachable as possible. I like to be around those who are better so I may remember that I have much to learn; more importantly, I ask questions. Lots of them. I don't know if this is annoying as I recall I learn the same thing many times before it clicks for me. I guess all good things must balance themselves out. (Look out SA... Here comes Mr. I ask the same questions 100 times before I really learn the answer.)

Another issue for me is when change doesn't happen at the rate I'm used to, I get frustrated, and at times, all-out depressed. I'm an intense personality and I pay for it dearly when I go for overkill. When I reach a level of such intense frustration, I have to take a step back, I don't look at it, I don't think about it. I come back later and find that I have learned something, just not at the radical rate my learning curve has spoiled me with.

I like mind games 3-4.
I see them alot with my fellow premadonna elitist pricks as this is what I'm around the most. (I speak, of course, about musicians. Yes, there is a life lower than Political Figures and maggots, it just so happens we all play instruments... Notice I didn't mention vocal majors...*pun*)

I'd say 'This article is a great read, Hates!!!", but I'm a musician.

A few things actually, based on experience:

1. Placing way too much value on online progress. This is an incredibly easy trap for anyone to fall into to. You place value on what ranked says besides your username or character. The simple fact of the matter is that online is never going to be the same thing as playing someone in person, no matter how good the netcode is.

As a result, you will either lose because of lag or win too much due the same reason. This can either crush you or inflate your ego excessively, neither of which are positive effects.

For instance, I know from my experience in SF4, that I shouldn't care about how many points I have as it doesn't reflect my skill as I don't play 10 hours a day and I keep losing to stuff I'd wouldn't otherwise in an offline setting. Similarly as I'm new to SC, I spam a lot online but I also know that this would get me slaughtered in a tournament setting but I'm willing to accept this as part of the learning process.

2. Playing a character you don't actually like. I wouldn't identify myself as a tier whore but I'm sure plenty of people are using for example, Mitsu and Natsu online for that very reason and if you're good with them, more power to you. However, the reality is more often than not, most of the people playing these characters aren't suited to them.

Again using SF4 as an example, I play Juri, a character that is deceivingly difficult to use and mid tier in the game at best. I know there are better characters in the roaster but I like playing as Juri more than the rest of the cast ( except Bison, who I use as a secondary. ) It's not that I can't play the other members of the cast, I just don't get the same feeling of satisfaction from playing them.

It's for that reason I never touched Wesker in Marvel ( and was probably one of the reasons I don't like that game as it's like ' Play top tier only - OR ELSE! ' ) and while I did briefly play Yang in SSF4 AE, I didn't play Yun. I don't like those characters, they don't gel with me, if you get my drift. If I was to force myself to play one of those types of characters, I'd probably end up hating the game.

Don't let tiers discriminate your choice of your character, I picked Juri because she jumped out at me, nothing else. This is the same reason I picked Pyrrha as well, it's just a coincidence that she is high tier in this game.

Unless the game is an unbalanced mess ( in which case, I'd probably not bother playing it ) play a character that you actually like, you'll be thankful in the long run.

I'm going to leave it that as I've gone on way longer that I thought I would on those 2 points alone.

@#1
Very true, there are a lot of gimmicky moves and setups that will work on occasion. Don't be afraid to use them if you think your opponent isn't familiar with them. Unsafe moves with strange properties for example.

@#2+3:
The easiest way around this is to play people of all skill levels. Being able to win, even against casual players is good for boosting confidence. But also playing against people who can easily take you down gives shows that you aren't perfect.

@#4:
I know a lot of players who are like this. Things are not cut and dry so give something a chance. Even if their setup/combo isn't that good try it out and see if there are any advantages to it. If it's bad tell them why and what would be a better option.

@#5:
At the very least it's a way to set goals. But it's important to work on all aspects of play so you don't get blown up by whatever you didn't practice.

Good stuff.

Learning a moveset/frames/combo automatically make you better. This is something a lot of people think about fighting games: You're good because you know the "tricks". This is incorrect, knowledge is meaningless if you cannot apply it, you're not going anywhere by just having a map, you gotta know how to read it.

Nope knowing moveset,frames and combos does make you automatically better than the guy who never heard of them and just plays casually twice a week...

Getting lulled into a false sense of security when leading in a match.
Like getting cocky and trying flashy stuff resulting in losing the match you could have won.
Especially dangerous in SCV with it's little comeback mechanic.

Great article. A recurring theme in each point is that you need to put your ego in check in order to improve, but not so much that self-doubt creeps in. It's a delicate balance.

On the more practical side, one thing I like to do periodically is review my character's movelist. I'll go into practice mode and run through all of them, noting any I don't use and seeing if I can figure out an application, all while cross-referencing frame data. I especially like to do this whenever I start feeling limited with my current set of tools, and it invariably improves my game.

Ctrl + F "Siegfried" - 0 of 0 results

Let me get some of these out of the way early, then, for the convenience of others in attendance.

"I cannot use SRSH against people on the ground."
"I cannot breathe against Ω."
"I cannot consistently punish whiffs against anyone because my shit whiffs for no reason."
"I seriously cannot do a fucking thing against Ω."
"I cannot use 3(B) on block against competent people or people that have a free out."
"I cannot match damage with my 50/50 mix-ups against anyone else."
"All I need is a character that they totally didn't nerf to hell and back, and whose design intent is actually reflected in game, both on paper and in practice."

What I'm saying is, sometimes the bitching is justified, sometimes it isn't. But it always feels justified to whoever is doing the bitching, right or wrong. Hindsight may change that, but only time will tell.

On the more practical side, one thing I like to do periodically is review my character's movelist. I'll go into practice mode and run through all of them, noting any I don't use and seeing if I can figure out an application, all while cross-referencing frame data. I especially like to do this whenever I start feeling limited with my current set of tools, and it invariably improves my game.

Everyone should do this. Not everything has some magical use, but there are enough liminal cases and moves with funky properties to make this kind of deep exploration incredibly useful. Be like Srayer, kids!

I'm just surprised you didn't use the Justin Bieber Never Say Never movie poster.

On a serious note though, this is now my favourite article of yours.

A few things actually, based on experience:

1. Placing way too much value on online progress. This is an incredibly easy trap for anyone to fall into to. You place value on what ranked says besides your username or character. The simple fact of the matter is that online is never going to be the same thing as playing someone in person, no matter how good the netcode is.

As a result, you will either lose because of lag or win too much due the same reason. This can either crush you or inflate your ego excessively, neither of which are positive effects.

For instance, I know from my experience in SF4, that I shouldn't care about how many points I have as it doesn't reflect my skill as I don't play 10 hours a day and I keep losing to stuff I'd wouldn't otherwise in an offline setting. Similarly as I'm new to SC, I spam a lot online but I also know that this would get me slaughtered in a tournament setting but I'm willing to accept this as part of the learning process.

2. Playing a character you don't actually like. I wouldn't identify myself as a tier whore but I'm sure plenty of people are using for example, Mitsu and Natsu online for that very reason and if you're good with them, more power to you. However, the reality is more often than not, most of the people playing these characters aren't suited to them.

Again using SF4 as an example, I play Juri, a character that is deceivingly difficult to use and mid tier in the game at best. I know there are better characters in the roaster but I like playing as Juri more than the rest of the cast ( except Bison, who I use as a secondary. ) It's not that I can't play the other members of the cast, I just don't get the same feeling of satisfaction from playing them.

It's for that reason I never touched Wesker in Marvel ( and was probably one of the reasons I don't like that game as it's like ' Play top tier only - OR ELSE! ' ) and while I did briefly play Yang in SSF4 AE, I didn't play Yun. I don't like those characters, they don't gel with me, if you get my drift. If I was to force myself to play one of those types of characters, I'd probably end up hating the game.

Don't let tiers discriminate your choice of your character, I picked Juri because she jumped out at me, nothing else. This is the same reason I picked Pyrrha as well, it's just a coincidence that she is high tier in this game.

Unless the game is an unbalanced mess ( in which case, I'd probably not bother playing it ) play a character that you actually like, you'll be thankful in the long run.

I'm going to leave it that as I've gone on way longer that I thought I would on those 2 points alone.

I realized that playing as a character that you like results in playing better with that said character because:

- You get a great feeling of satisfaction for winning with your favorite character

- You play better with said character because you do not want to see your character beaten to a pulp, especially if it's one of those characters you dislike.

Well I used to think that if go to a Tournament and do horrible at it that people won give advice for improvement and instead they will belittle me. I have discussed this with many of the members on this site and they said that they would never belittle someone that want to be competitive. I tend to think of it rarely now.

I always looked at competition to look at my flaws and learn. I if I lose a match online or anywere I will research the tools of my opponent and the character.

I tend to be confident if I see improvement. I try to tellmyself that i will see my true skills in a competition

right

There have been a ton of articles on the competitive mindset put out these days - this is the best one yet.

The only thing I can add is this: When you play, always assume you can win. Its an easy assumption because its true - there is no one in the history of fighting games with a 100% win rate and there has never been a 0-10 match up. Ever. I will talk down about my skills all day long, but from the moment a match starts to the end the number one thing going through my head is 'I can take this guy' - and it stays there no matter how many matches in a row I've lost before that.

Live streams

13 Viewers
noxdeanoctis
noxdeanoctis
Good morning for some SC!
1 Viewers
ApolloXXXCreed
ApolloXXXCreed
[EN] [XBOX] for one to gain another has to lose /Grinding...

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back