Hate Speech: The Review

Well kids, the wait is finally just about over. SOULCALIBUR V officially hits stores tomorrow, so it’s time to go out, grab a copy, and start practicing. Well, almost. For those of you not living near incompetent Wal-Marts or shady mom & pop establishments willing to break street date, you still have an absolutely grueling few hours remaining before SC5 is in your hot little hands.

Believe me, I sympathize. Whether you’re purely hyped or filled with questions and doubts, the last little bit before you can have the game and make your own judgments on it are absolute torture. Of course, there’s an upside here. What’s that, you ask? It’s simple: those of you out there who don’t have the game—the vast majority of you—are my captive audience. Given both that fact and the equally pertinent one that I’ve now had a chance to go through the game in semi-detail, this week I’ll be playing reporter.

SOULCALIBUR V—A Review by William Woo, Journalist (and Hates)

First, a disclaimer:

I remain wholly biased, so allow me to skip the disingenuous “objectivity” tap dance and just lay my cards on the table. First, I’m really liking SC5 so far—it seems good. Second, I want it to be not just a good game, but a successful and popular one. Third, you should all go buy it, play it, and achieve greatness.

Oreilly_alt.jpg
Still fair, still balanced--we'll do it live.
Prejudice duly mentioned, let’s hit this.

What We Already Know

Welcome back to the Stage of History, where there’s nothing new under the sun—or at least nothing that hasn’t been thoroughly spoiled already. It is, in a sense, difficult to offer meaningful impressions of a game about which so much is already known before its release, because I can’t surprise you. What I can do, however, is flesh out a thing or two.

Many people who don’t yet have the game, and some who do, say that it feels like a rushed job. There are few modes, no character endings, and a pared down roster, which could all point toward laziness or hurriedness on the part of the developers, but that isn’t necessarily the only answer that makes sense. There’s a real leanness to the game, but whether that leanness is a mark of laziness or of shifting and, frankly, better priorities is something we won’t necessarily be able to determine for a while. It’s entirely possible to complete story mode and dip one’s toe into almost everything else in the space of an afternoon, provided you don’t get just plain slaughtered by the Legendary Souls AI, and in fact that last caveat perfectly captures the game’s operative mode. While limited in some superficial aspects, SC5 becomes deep and engaging through its gameplay and the elements which bolster that gameplay. We’ll unpack that idea in a moment, but first, a word on the story, since it’s sure to be a locus of critique.

1607 Was a Silly Year

Monty-Python-Holy-Grail-02.jpg
We seek the Soul Calibur!
Judging a fighting game based on its plot is no different than judging a Hooters for its hot wings. That said, while SC games have always had the kind of psychotic, nonsensical plotlines that typify the genre, they’ve also always conveyed those plotlines in a relatively slick, engaging fashion. SC5’s Story Mode attempts to do just that once again, with intriguing results. As we’ve heard so many times already, SC5 picks up seventeen years after the conclusion of SC4, and focuses primarily on the vaguely inappropriate vibe between siblings Pyrrha and Patroklos Alexandra. The mode itself places players mostly in the roles of Pyrrha and Patroklos as they wander the battlefields of war-torn Eurasia, searching desperately for a Hot Topic that’s still open.

The presentation’s decent, with a mix of hand-drawn stills and some fully animated scenes for the more pivotal moments, and all with spoken dialogue, even if that dialogue makes no sense. We never really find out what the hell is going on with anybody, and while we can somewhat deduce what, say, “the malfested” are, it’s never explicitly stated. Confusion notwithstanding, the plot is taut and fast-paced with very few filler matches, and the baffling dialogue is mostly forgivable. All in all, it’s a decent mode for those players who are into that sort of thing.

So why isn’t there more of it? Why don’t we have endings?

We all live in a post-Mortal Kombat 9 world. For all of the complaints one might legitimately level at that particular game, its story mode is damned impressive. In fact, it’s probably better than the two MK feature films, though the extent to which that’s a notable achievement is debatable. In any case, MK9 raised the bar for the role of fighting game narrative in the sense that it presented a cohesive, self-contained story rather than a truckload of mutually exclusive narratives, one for each character. That said, much of the battling in MK9’s story mode was preposterous and contrived, which it needed to be in order to ensure that every cast member got his or her due of screen time.

unmasked-shaokahn.jpg
In fairness, however, this actor's name is Brian Thompson, which is kind of awesome in its way.
For better or worse, SC5 bucks that particular part of the trend, refusing to shoehorn every single character into its overall narrative arc. Actually, the supposed laziness undergirding the absence of characters/endings in Story Mode may in fact speak to a prioritizing of the story itself. Strange as it may sound, it really seems as though the developers are acutely concerned with telling a particular story this time around, particularly since this game marks something of a franchise reboot. Prioritization of telling that particular, peculiar story means that other elements are left unexplained. Why is Cervantes back in a clearly not-dead body? What’s up with Viola and Z.W.E.I.? Project Soul seems far less interested in answering these questions than they are in setting up a new dynamic between the magic swords which will likely drive plot arcs for at least another game or two. Yes, that’s probably going to disappoint a lot of casual fans out there, but it’s entirely possible to read that as a deliberate design choice—one with which we may or may not agree—as opposed to a mere oversight.

So Where’s the Beef?

Apart from the beefs held by Zasalamel and Talim players, the meat of SC5 is in its gameplay. There are a handful of glaring, painful omissions, such as no ability to adjust button layouts on the character select screen (which is, frankly, unforgivable), but by and large it’s the gameplay and those elements which enhance it that have been fleshed out most thoroughly. For example, as I’ve touched on elsewhere, most characters really feel as though they can compete. Balance is by no means perfect, but it was clearly a priority.

Equally impressive, if not more so, is the AI. Generally speaking, fighting game AI is either insultingly easy or jaw-droppingly unfair. SC5 has some brutally tough AI, but it seldom feels as though it’s outright cheating. What’s more, the high level AI employs actual clever setups and real combos, making it a valid way to begin learning about the strengths and weaknesses of various characters.

My limited experience with online play has also been quite positive. First and foremost, the netcode is a massive improvement over SC4. Geographically close opponents have a real match-feel, and even long-distance isn’t unplayably bad. This good netcode is supplemented by a surprisingly robust series of features. The Global Collosseo isn’t really open for business yet, but it’s an intriguing idea, and the ranked/player matches with which we’re contending in the meantime have a great deal of extra functionality from stat tracking to replay saving.

Overall, the focus on versus play through the online mode, gestures toward offline balance, and even an AI-battling Quick Fight mode that attempts to model playing versus actual human opponents, all tells me that SC5 is designed primarily as a social experience rather than a single-player narrative experience. Luckily, it appears to come with plenty of tools to adequately facilitate that.

Zynga-launched-FarmVille-mo.jpg
Picture this, but with swords. Actually, don't.
But Am I Wrong?

While I think that I make a somewhat compelling case for saying that SC5 isn’t rushed, but instead socially-driven, we can’t know for certain just yet. The actual proof will be in whether and how Namco continues to support this social/competitive vehicle they’ve given us. If they cut and run, as it were, we’ll all know we’ve been had, but if they continue to engage, improve, and so on, I’d say we owe them the benefit of the doubt on things like story mode. Time, as they say, will tell.

Until then, I give SOULCALIBUR V my highest rating: 1 star.

Homework:

What’s your take on narrative in fighting games? How important is it? Do you really want to see endings for every character, or do you care more about a tight storyline?

If you’ve got SC5, what are your impressions thus far? Share.

Finally, if you don’t have SC5, mentally prepare yourself for day one. Do some research on the forums now and figure out what you’d like to test once you’ve handled the unlocking business. Double check the matchfinders, etcetera, and find out the nearest, soonest gathering where you can get hype and test your skills in person. Get out there and get involved.

@Original_Hater

i'm greatly disappointed with SCV. i'm not against progressive changes and improvements but the changes decisions made here are going to punch away veteran players like myself. the Combo system is a complete disaster for some series veterans, the slower paced gameplay used to provide space for strategic and well-thought attacks and the freedom to link your own set of moves.

now as if the game wants to play itself instead! borrwing from other fighting games is ok but not to the level that kills the game's own unique fighting style and identity.

on smaller scale, why did they change the announcer?! his voice was with us since the beginning back in 1996 and he became one of the game's staples. and why did they have to severly mess with some of the signature moves of some classic characters? moves that many players rely on and developed their skills with.

Namco, without a doubt, could've made a middle-ground game where the veteran and the new would've enjoyed their game.

i'll stop here and i wish you guys enjoy SCV. i may change my opnion with time but unfortunately the signs are not encouraging. i may stick to SCIV which in my opinion has a better more focused gameply then the mess that SCV is.

kind regards,

This is exactly right, in my evaluation I forgot to mention how Namco's simply screwed the timing and speed sense of the game in hopes to give you a SF or MK or whatever kind-a-feel. As I've posted before many SC players play SC precisely because it is not SF, it is not MK, it is not KOF, and they don't want it to be like any of those.

Dead on with the announcer too. Its awkwardly spaced, I've turned the volume down to try to get rid of the eery sound and timing of the announcer.

MWH you're right, why do they have to change features that are not broken?

Obviously Namco can't please everybody all the time, but removing signature moves of classic/standard characters? changing the timing/speed sense of the game? dropping entire character styles from the roster(with no legitimate replacement) why? why? why?

If Namco wanted to rejuvinate or make SC more competitive they could have:

Brought Back Time Mode
Brought Back Survival Mode
Brought Back Team Mode
Brought Back Weapon Master Mode
Brought Back the Museum
Brought Back Battle Theatre mode
Made the changes to Online that they made for SC5
Added Replay Mode to Vs (offline)
Added Tournament mode to Vs (offline)
Added Profiles for Player 2 Vs (offline)
Added to the Roster and Movelists as opposed to subtracting
Left the announcer alone
Left the speed/timing sense of the game alone
Left out the salutes to SF and MK
Left the gallery alone
Improved the customization as they did do for SC5
Add Replay Mode to Single Player

Namco didn't have to make radical changes to the gameplay to get 'new interest' in the game. Just put back all the fun stuff they've taken out from single player and Vs (offline) as they've concentrated on Online features.

Online is cool for those that like it, but here are some of the
cons for only focusing on Online SC5

1) not everyone has(or wants) broadband Internet

2) Mismatched Level Availability, There is not always some one online
(within your skill level) thats want to play at the same time you do. Often
there are either players with more skill than you have, or considerably less
skill than you have. Forcing a player to go online to enjoy the features
of the game is simply not smart. Some people simply don't enjoy
playing strangers similar skill or not. And if I don't want to make
acquaintances online thats my business. So don't force me to play online
if I don't want to. But thats precisely would Namco is doing when it puts
all of the really meaningful improvements into ONline features

3) Online is still laggy (even though SC5 is better than SCIV) online
play still cannot match offline play in terms of responsiveness

4) People can be very nasty and rude online which takes away from
the experience and often reflects badly on the game (although it shouldn't)
for example I know ppl that have stop playing the game altogether
because online experience was so bad.

5) There is still glitchen , pullers, spammers etc online. You get none of
that in offline Vs. But Namco didn't really add any features for offline
Vs. its just bare-bones

Who ever called the shots for SC5 put far too much emphasis on improving the SC online experience, and it looks like they did it at the expense of singple player mode, and Vs(offline) mode, as well as at the expense of losing Fan and SC brand loyalty. Change just for the sake of change is usually not good when it comes to loyal fans of a game that have been loyal for a decade or so.

Don't get me wrong, This game has a lot of replay value, and its gorgeous an fun, but it has the potential to be a blockbuster, a SF and MK killer. At one point SC set the standard for all 3D fighting games, but now, with the exception of Online Features, this game is now a shadow of its old self.

If Namco were to take SCII, and add Replay and the Online features that are available in SC5, that would be a Soul Calibur for all times. However, SC5 just tries to become the 'Facebook' of fighting games. Online features are okay, but not at the expense of Singplayer modes, and Vs modes/features.

I just plain don't understand any complaint along the lines of "they changed the speed of the game!" The game speed changed radically with every iteration. SC1 was slowish, SC2 was ridiculously fast, SC3 was slower than 2, faster than 1, SC4 was the slowest of all, and 5 is probably somewhere between 3 and 4. Any jump from one game to the next was a massive speed change, and I'd hardly point to anything fro SC4 as absolutely definitive for the series.

I found this game very fun to play and pretty refreshing. IGN underrated it:
"Too similar to the last game" wow. IGN, have you guys actually played it? Its far better then the last game.... but because its not SF, it must be a problem right? I mean SSF4 is almost the exact same as SF4 literally copied and pasted but.. it skates by that obvious fact because? its SF? And this is from the same people that think Call of Duty or Madden is innovative?

Well, ignoring that... I don't get why this game is getting so much hate. (from scrubs mainly on Facebook)Why is it people have to have things one or the other here? I can guess the main reason those people claim this game to be the "worst" is because their favourate character is gone and thats all. I read the comments and have concluded that. Are people willingly choosing to drowng in denial? Natsu is better then Taki.

Personally I think this is a huge step up from SC4 (which was basically a nerfed SC3 IMO)
People are actually complaining that this game is too fast? Really? then I dont want to hear any SC2 praise from those people. This game feels pretty fluid to me. I cant speak from a tourney vet's status but I can speak on my own experience. I couldn't stand SC4 being so slow and Taki's moveset in SC5 shows the difference. Characters felt too weighed down and heavy.

My only gripes: The storymode. I like the set up and think it works but it should have been done with all the characters. I know they were trying to eliminate the branching path thing that made the series confusing or pointless in some areas but, 1 character story per game? I hope not. They should just do Every character having an individual path but they all fall into one story with the same events happening, like a before, during and after thing. Like I am Leixia and my path is traveling or meeting up with Natsu, Maxi and Shiba one by one explaining how I met them all and why I choose to travel. But as Lexia I dont fight the boss if Im not the one supposed to.

The 3 Mimic characters: Edgemaster was a waste to add, Kilik was uneeded, and Elysium should have had her own moveset... or be the only mimic character.

This game also lacks modes but isnt as boring as SC4.
Maybe the game wasn't rushed, maybe its just new people, with different philosophies and different sense of focus and priortiy working on the game. I just wish Namco would treat all three types of players equally in adding features to the game. The team of Project Soul should remember where it comes from. Soul Calibur was a hit when there was no Online! Online is a big deal for a large segment of the market, but Single Player mode and Vs. mode is what made Soul Calibur what it is. And a large segment of the market is still Single Player and Vs. mode and will never switch to Online play. Namco should realize that.
It wasn't rushed really, they just seems that they couldn't fit their intial goals into the deadline as they planned. It was clear that in early stages they took in a lot of time and were planning to make this game in order to cater to everyone, but that may have been a little too time consuming as the due date came and thats probably why the 3 mimics were added. People demanded a lot from this series.

Nightmare's CE isn't an unblockable...ffs. It has a roughly 120 frame, aGIing(lows, mids, and highs) start-up(where he can be grabbed or CE'd, mind you) and if that doesn't trigger then he goes for a extremely linear vertical GB(guard breaker) that is beyond steppable/punishable and does around 160 damage(not sure). If you get hit by that, then you by all means deserve it. Dumbass scrubs calling Mare broken, not even funny >_>...

Nightmare's CE has a signal, the aura, pose and such means you need to side step or block. It isnt broken, people just dont like to think. I mean, you cant mash and think at the same time.. its an Oxymoron. Like you said, if you just attack anyway and get countered you probably deserved it.

I just plain don't understand any complaint along the lines of "they changed the speed of the game!" The game speed changed radically with every iteration. SC1 was slowish, SC2 was ridiculously fast, SC3 was slower than 2, faster than 1, SC4 was the slowest of all, and 5 is probably somewhere between 3 and 4. Any jump from one game to the next was a massive speed change, and I'd hardly point to anything fro SC4 as absolutely definitive for the series.

Keep in mind, I'm giving this game basically a 8 of 10. Its a good game, I recommend it! Its has great replay value. And I will play it over SCIV.

When I talk about speed, I'm really talking about the average length of the match feels so much shorter partially because of the new Brave Edge and Critical Edge moves that can end things pretty quick. Sure SCIV had its round ending finishing move, but that was generally hard to pull off in a real match. In fact I never had it pulled off on me in a Vs or Online match, and I've played some pretty good players. On the other hand I pulled off BE and CE and have had both pulled off on me in online matches and offline matches with relative ease and on its first day of release!. These moves brings things to a close pretty quick. And if there is any combo streaming , the match is over really quick. Once everyone knows really how to use the new guages and how to tie everything, I think the average round is going to be over in under 30 seconds. I could be wrong, but that's sure the way things look at this early stage in the game's release.

So, I don't mean speed in the sense that the characters move faster, or the weapons doing more damage, or the clock is somehow shorter, I mean the matches feel like they're over much faster because of the CE and BE moves. Maybe its just the newness of the game that gives that perception. But looking back at a few of my Replays and Opponent's replays, our rounds are not making it to 30 seconds LOL.

But I'm in no ways closed minded on the issue, my opinion could change here, especially if the matches feel like they're slowing down after evereyone learns the new
Guard Impact, BE and CE integration.

When I talk about speed, I'm really talking about the average length of the match feels so much shorter partially because of the new Brave Edge and Critical Edge moves that can end things pretty quick.

Ah-HA! I did misunderstand. Yeah, rounds and matches are resolved very quickly now, and I've actually been involved in a few serious discussions as to whether this is a good or a bad thing. I like it, to a point, especially from both a practical and an aesthetic perspective; faster matches means tournaments run quicker, and it certainly ups the ante in terms of giving people a sense of drama.

Conversely, however, there are definite design consequences inherent in this choice. I'm deeply curious as to what your average top-level match will look like in a month or two. Fighting games are always about emergent behavior, and there's no way to predict just yet whether a semi-mature SC5 will be tons of fun or tons of frustration.

my ONLY dissapointment is the removal og the GI/JI. sure you can still do it...but you need meter! however, this is only a small gripe, i really do love all the changes that went into this game though.

the speed is by far my most favorite, games become more intense with the quickened pace. after playing for 2 days straight, i concluded that some characters wouldn't even want to be here because of the very nature of their playstyle. defensive characters don't really seem to have a place here (like seong-mina or zasalamel) because they wouldn't be able to keep up. even IF they raised their speeds as well.

even old characters fell fresh again. i first headed to voldo (since talim wasn't in) and tried to play him as i normally would. he feels so different from his previous iteration even though most of his moves have returned but with different inputs/frames.

Conversely, however, there are definite design consequences inherent in this choice. I'm deeply curious as to what your average top-level match will look like in a month or two.

Yeah that is the real question. The brave edge and critical edge moves add more of the "fantastic" to the game, but ironically it may result in the matches being more realistic. I'm also playing the deadliest warrior game. Which is a serious weapons based simulation. Not a whole bunch of sword clanging in that game. One wrong move and its over. It seems like that's where SC5 is going but its getting there a different way. If your opponent is really coordinating his combos with his BE and CE, you can only afford one maybe two mistakes during a round and its over. With top-level play the loser will probably be the first to make any mistake. Although that's not a big departure from how things are now, its just the matches have the 'potential' to be even shorter. LOL

But the more I play the game, I'm absolutely lovin the changes made to customizations, the new patterns, stickers, the photo mode, the ability to customize the special effects and color trail of the weapon. The new license /statistics concept is awesome too. The more you play the more you appreciate it. Also that online mode is simply the best I've seen for any fighting game with the exception of UFC games, their online is pretty good. The new player match lobby with the option to split screen or see the full screen , with in room chat and the new search modes is just awesome. Namco did an excellent job on the online upgrades. And the replay feature justifies the price of the game by itself. I was involved in some epic matches last night, (or at least epic at my level of play) and now I can watch them over and over and learn as well as gloat.

The new hardcover strategy guide is worth every penny. I highly recommend it to anyone that is even remotely serious about SC5. Its well done, has all the information you could ask for. And stuff that you probably won't see anywhere else, at least no time soon.

I actually like the critical edge thing. It adds to what the characters can really do as emphasized in their stories, but not overexaggerated like the CF's.

SCV is very good IMO, It brought life back to SC for me after SC4 bored me to death.

this is my experiece with SCV pointing the goods and the bads from my personal point of view. i realize it may have no impact or effect whatsoever to anyone, but this comes out of the passion and love for the game. perhaps there are people like me who takes some of their games, SC in particular, a little too serious.

- Story: dear Project-Soul, Story matters. it's true that Namco never were good at handling stories in their fighting games but, it's the story that added this extra depth and attachment each to his favorate character. Cervantes the ruthless pirate gone mad in his desperate pursuit to regain his former glory, Mitsurugi the brave fearless warrior in the longest journey to improve his skills and meet his match helping those on his way, Astaroth, Ivy, Seung-Mina, Hawrang, Taki, Raphael, everyone. some of us race to finish each new game to see the ever confusing ending of his favorite character because it fulfills a spot even if it doesn't have an impact on the gameplay. simple as they are, nontheless significant to many, it has been taken from us in SCV for no reason.

- Modes: SinseiPo has fulfilled this section in full in his reply i thank him for it. what i can't understand is, why? why some of the most popular of these modes are not included.

i'm still unable to accept why they removed the "infinite time" in offline Vs.!
in our whole lives we always played our fighting games setting the timer to infinite because we love psyching, pressuring and testing ourselves knowing that the only way out is by winning or losing the match relying only on skill. the timer may be justified online but offline i want to have this right. how an incredibly stupid decision.

- Music: one of the things the Soul series been known for is its epic orchestrated scores, if anything to be said about V is that its music, with the exception of Maxi's and perhaps couple others, pale in comparison.

- Gameplay: i have no regrets for getting rid of the Critical Finish from SCIV, it was almost completely useless and most players who focuses on pulling out one ends up losing consentration and eventually lose the match. Brave Edge and Critical Edge are on the other hand a welcome addition or should i say, welcome return to Critical Edge, after all it was part of Soul Edge back in 1996. anyway, these two serves their purposes quite well and adds new depth to the challenge, i like it.

the combination of Speed and Combos implementation however, is a disaster. in the past the game was slower, not by much, just about enough to provide us the freedom to plan and excute our attacks with smooth and style. the series had various changes in speed pace, you had to link your moves faster and your attackes will hit faster but the core gamplay remained intact. you were still able to carefully plan your next attacks and most importantly is; you will know when you must back off from attacking and you could also predict when your opponent will do the same. it was a bit similar to a chess game to me.

SCV picked up the pace again, however; the introduction of some predetermined combos combined with the game's speed has brought woe to what i consider was a sublime and chess-like gameplay in SCIV. anyone who memorizes a set of moves or combos can spam them sending the mightiest of strategic veterans into oblivion within seconds. if you made more than 2 mistakes, you're out.

Simply put, SCV's new approach isn't about fair play and skill, it's about who unleashes the longest combo first while the other watch his health bar depleting in frustration and despair.

Project-Soul forces you to get into the mix but it's not my style, it's not why i loved this series. i'll stop here.

a note worth expressing; i'm not certain yet if the problem is the speed or the new game engine, but i'm leaning toward the engine.

little Suggestion:
who remembers Soul Edge vividly? do you guys remember the weapon loss? then you'll have to CQC your way through the remaining of the round. what about the weapons clash? that was truly awesome. all that came from Samurai Shodown to those who don't know.

when you used to lose your weapon in Samurai Shodown you'll feel panic and try hard to pick it up again, it's difficult to stand a chance without a weapon against a strong player. some players will allow you pick it up in show off of their honorable side, some out of pitty, some will just seize the chance. few hubris players would put down their weapons and try to humiliate the opponent winning without it. it was awesome and the competition was fierce with lots of heart.

if Project-Soul had to borrow new technics they could've borrowed from what made this series a success initially, reinvent it and build on it. i don't mean to turn the game into Tekken but i'm sure the idea can be implemented in ways that can add back the depth lost in the part progress part regress that SCV is.

thank you for reading and please accept my apology on this long post.
Sadly to myself, after IV, the Soul has stoped, frozen, maybe ended.. but one thing remains true, and that is; "The Legend Will Never Die".
peace.

Impressions?

Best bet is to forget SCIV ever happened.
Thats funny! That was my sentiment shortly after SCIV came out.

So now that we have SCV to cling to with our tourney inclinations, it's ok to mention that SCIV was not much of a game?

Interesting...

I love hubris in a fighting game ;)

Reactions: MWH
Thats funny! That was my sentiment shortly after SCIV came out.

So now that we have SCV to cling to with our tourney inclinations, it's ok to mention that SCIV was not much of a game?

Interesting...

I love hubris in a fighting game ;)

with all due respect i completely disagree, SCIV is a good game and still has a dedicated fan base.

Back