hello everyone~!

mira

[09] Warrior
hi!! i'm mira and I've only recently (maybe about a year or so now) started to actually get into playing fighting games fairly seriously, rather than just smashing buttons and knowing, like, one combo! A friend of mine who graduated last year who plays in tournaments and stuff schooled me in SCV, so I learned how to get decent from observing him and nowadays I win against him more than he beats me! the one issue I have is just grabs, I can't deal with them...
anyways! nowadays I pretty much only play SCV (maybe dabbling in a bit of Skullgirls) and my favorite characters are Leixia, Raphael and Natsu!
i've only played in one tournament so far, buuuut it was a street fighter IV tournament I was ~~talked into~~ playing in by the host (I was there because my friend was participating and I drove him there, and the host said he wouldn't give me any pizza if I didn't play.. wah). I did OK, especially seeing as how I suck hardcore at SF, and at least I placed top 8, haha
ANYWAYS I should probably wrap this up before it gets too long and drawly (i'm really bad at this sort of thing)
here's my youtube where I have some SCV videos posted! nothing too great, but I thought they were decent enough to upload! I hope to get a capture card or something some day so I can stream SCV (I stream a buncha Dota all the time, so it'd be nice to mix things up)
anyways, I hope I can learn a bunch from you all, and thanks for the warm welcome!'
edit: oh, whoops, I probably should have mentioned I play on PS3 and my PSN is Mirakurutaimu!

Welcome to 8wayrun! The perfect place to be for getting into competitive SoulCalibur :)

What part of the world are you in and which console do you play? A good way to improve is to play strong opponents :)

What part of the world are you in and which console do you play? A good way to improve is to play strong opponents :)
I live in New York, and I play on PS3!! I mostly hang around in the Grand Colosseo, NY server and just battle people as I see fit.. I think on my new PSN account I have like 8 wins and 1 loss! People keep disconnecting whenever I'm winning, though... I perfected an Ivy first round and she immediately disconnected! Players like that make me sad..
I would play Ranked, but the queue times are horrendous! I almost never find opponents!

Nice, im sure there are some other members here you you could set up a player match with.
Unfortunately im XBL and from the UK lol

Yeah, most people seem to be on XBL @_@ even all my friends! and then my friends who do have PS3s don't have soul calibur... wah

hi!! i'm mira and I've only recently (maybe about a year or so now) started to actually get into playing fighting games fairly seriously, rather than just smashing buttons and knowing, like, one combo! A friend of mine who graduated last year who plays in tournaments and stuff schooled me in SCV, so I learned how to get decent from observing him and nowadays I win against him more than he beats me! the one issue I have is just grabs, I can't deal with them...
anyways! nowadays I pretty much only play SCV (maybe dabbling in a bit of Skullgirls) and my favorite characters are Leixia, Raphael and Natsu!
i've only played in one tournament so far, buuuut it was a street fighter IV tournament I was ~~talked into~~ playing in by the host (I was there because my friend was participating and I drove him there, and the host said he wouldn't give me any pizza if I didn't play.. wah). I did OK, especially seeing as how I suck hardcore at SF, and at least I placed top 8, haha
ANYWAYS I should probably wrap this up before it gets too long and drawly (i'm really bad at this sort of thing)
here's my youtube where I have some SCV videos posted! nothing too great, but I thought they were decent enough to upload! I hope to get a capture card or something some day so I can stream SCV (I stream a buncha Dota all the time, so it'd be nice to mix things up)
anyways, I hope I can learn a bunch from you all, and thanks for the warm welcome!'
edit: oh, whoops, I probably should have mentioned I play on PS3 and my PSN is Mirakurutaimu!

OHAIYO Neko-chan!! =D

Nice to meet you, I subbed to your Youtube channel, mine is Youtube.com/ReinaKozoki . But sucks you don't play on Xbox, I think SC plays slightly better on Xbox... That and you can get hate messages too! (lol)

...the one issue I have is just grabs, I can't deal with them...

I really wish you were a bit more specific on this, but I am just going to assume that you suffer from a few a basic dealings with Grabs that most newbie's do. So I'll tell you a few strats on how to deal with them, these aren't all the strats, but I am going to assume you have a hard time with one or more of these that I post.

If you can't break grabs, you have to start learning how. You may not be able to react to them and break them, so if you can't, what you should do is hold G then press A, B, A+G Or B+G(depending on if you are guessing a B or A grab). Performing this process will allow you to break grabs while guarding. If you have your grab inputs set to your controller's triggers, this will be easy to learn. The more accustomed you get to breaking grabs, the easier it will be to break them on reaction, so you won't have to mash button's while guarding.

You may able to break grabs, but suffer from staying out of your opponent's grab range. This one is a bit trickier to deal with, as each character has their own unique Grab range and grab tracking(how often it will catch you for sidestepping), as well as whiffing issues (grabs sometimes reach or miss for no real reason). For this all I can say is you'll become better at knowing your ranges and your opponent's through experience.

Lastly you may simply not like dealing with your opponent using Grabs as a mixup while you are floored. In this case you may want to take a look at what mids your opponent is using for the mixup. If the mid doesn't hit grounded, and they are using grabs as their "low" mixup, then just simply rolling will allow you to avoid both the mid and grab. I didn't discuss this part completely as it is far more complex than I'd like to put into one post, and it may not even be the problem you suffer from.

I really wish you were a bit more specific on this, but I am just going to assume that you suffer from a few a basic dealings with Grabs that most newbie's do. So I'll tell you a few strats on how to deal with them, these aren't all the strats, but I am going to assume you have a hard time with one or more of these that I post.

If you can't break grabs, you have to start learning how. You may not be able to react to them and break them, so if you can't, what you should do is hold G then press A, B, A+G Or B+G(depending on if you are guessing a B or A grab). Performing this process will allow you to break grabs while guarding. If you have your grab inputs set to your controller's triggers, this will be easy to learn. The more accustomed you get to breaking grabs, the easier it will be to break them on reaction, so you won't have to mash button's while guarding.

You may able to break grabs, but suffer from staying out of your opponent's grab range. This one is a bit trickier to deal with, as each character has their own unique Grab range and grab tracking(how often it will catch you for sidestepping), as well as whiffing issues (grabs sometimes reach or miss for no real reason). For this all I can say is you'll become better at knowing your ranges and your opponent's through experience.

Lastly you may simply not like dealing with your opponent using Grabs as a mixup while you are floored. In this case you may want to take a look at what mids your opponent is using for the mixup. If the mid doesn't hit grounded, and they are using grabs as their "low" mixup, then just simply rolling will allow you to avoid both the mid and grab. I didn't discuss this part completely as it is far more complex than I'd like to put into one post, and it may not even be the problem you suffer from.

Thank you!! Yeah, I knew about teching, I just never see the grabs coming! I'm sure I'll get used to them eventually...
Thank you for the help though, I really appreciate it!!

OHAIYO Neko-chan!! =D

Nice to meet you, I subbed to your Youtube channel, mine is Youtube.com/ReinaKozoki . But sucks you don't play on Xbox, I think SC plays slightly better on Xbox... That and you can get hate messages too! (lol)
oh, hi!!! Sorry I missed your post!! @w@"" I subscribed to you too!!
Yeah, everyone seems to play on xbox.. I'm all left out and junk ;w; oh well!

Back