Hey ! :) Foolish here! (Wall of text here!)

FoolishB

[09] Warrior
Hello everyone, my name is FoolishB you can call me Brandon, I'm picking up a PS3 this weekend and Soul calibur 5 I've been watching videos for the past 2 weeks and I am very interested in this game and I want to start learning it, It's going to be my first fighter so I need to know the basics and everything, I'm going to be using a regular PS3 controller because that is what I'm most comfortable with, I already did research and learned that stick is preference so I will use the pad, If anyone could provide links to everything I need to know it would be greatly appreciated I hope to be competitive some day and be a challenge for all of you.

So yeah links to everything a complete newbie to SC5 needs to know will be nice, I'm interested in learning Tira and Xiba but I'm sure I will find other which I will find enjoyable, to my understanding no character is low tier if you know how to play him, this game seems pretty balanced in my perspective.

That is all, cheers! :)

-Brandon

Nice to meet you Brandon! And it's good to hear you're looking to sink your teeth into this game. It is rich and meaty, with just a hint of taragon. Some things (resources) that will help speed you on your way to mastery:

To read a lot of the advice on this board and make sense of it it would be good to check out this thread first:
http://8wayrun.com/threads/soulcalibur-v-basic-notations-terminology.12553/

For everything else after that check out the rest of the soul calibur tactics board. A lot of seasoned folks like to patrol the board regularily and they should be able to help you with your general questions.
http://8wayrun.com/forums/soulcalibur-tactics.4/

For character specifics, check out the soul arenas. Most of them are fairly busy.
http://8wayrun.com/categories/soulcalibur-v-soul-arenas.86/

Thanks guys! I was wondering if there are more defensive/offensive styles of play I would like to really get the hand of guarding and stuff before I try to be offensive, or will being offensive first help my success ? I really want to know everything before I turn my new PS3 on saturday.

EDIT:I went to the moves section and there is so much I still dont understand yet,theres a bunch of numbers and all that jazz also theres one notation I didn't see yet (JS) is there a specific number of moves I need to know for certain characters ?

The numbers you speak of may be the directional notations. It's like a numerical keypad on a computer. Cardinal directions would be: 2(down), 6(forward), 8(up) and 4(back).

Unless you are talking frame data. Which is a little more advanced knowledge having to do with how many frames an attack takes, how many frames you lose from being blocked etc... It can be a little overwhelming but experience will help that knowledge start to click.

I was talking frame data yes and would JS mean (Just Standing) ?
Hmmm...lemme know where you found the notation. Just in this game basically means "exact time". Most Just inputs must occur within a window of a frame or two. WR is while rising and iWR (instant while rising) is the closest thing I know of to Just Standing. But, some notations may be character specific but I'd be glad to look into it for you. :)

Where abouts are you from, kind sir?

Edit: The only JS I know in this game is Jolly Side for Tira.

I am from Newfoundland,Canada so I am that if when (if I ever do) get good to play online that my connection won't be good since the internet is shit here :(

Thanks for everything! I'm getting the game tomorrow how much of an advantage is it to have a good connection and what character should I start out with also, is anybody else on PS3 that are kind of beginners ?

Also how many people will I encounter like this dick ?

Welcome to 8wayrun. The better the connection the better your online experience will be.

Yeahh, getting a PS3 and uhhh, but is connection a hugee! difference ? I really am serious about this and am ready for the grind when should I start going online ?

I'm thinking of playing through the story mode first, is this a good idea ?

Yeahh, getting a PS3 and uhhh, but is connection a hugee! difference ? I really am serious about this and am ready for the grind when should I start going online ?

I'm thinking of playing through the story mode first, is this a good idea ?
PS3 online for SCV has some connection issues just to give you a heads up.

You can start playing story mode but it won't teach you anything. It will just give you a feel for how you can move within the game.

Back