Hilde: Video / Feedback Thread

I'm new on Hilde's SA. I'm just starting to learn her. Before her I learned ZWEI, and before him, Raphael.

The thing about Raph's SE is not much about how to deal with it. It's about preventing him from entering SE. It's about being as aggressive as possible against Prep.

If he enters Prep on Block (except for his 66{B}, the BA), he is in trouble. Use a TC, or duck and attack. It's better if the attack is not high, has a good range and is not a B. Some characters have perfect attacks for these circumstances, that give a bad Prep entry no chance at all. Natsu's 66K and Asta's Bull Rush are examples.

A quick step to his right is also quite effective, if he enters Prep on Block.

If he enters Prep on Hit, try to duck and attack or use a TC that ducks in the first frame (if there is such a thing). He can get you with Prep K, but many players neglect this move. If the player uses Prep K well, you gotta defend when he enters Prep on Hit. Then you become vulnerable to SE. Hope you can react to SE quickly enough to intercept it, or that you can guess the mix up that follows. Or use a GI.

So, bottom line, use tons of TCs, as the very knowledgeable guy said. If you get caught by Prep K, then try to defend.

Hope this may help.

And here are a couple of fights I've had with Hilde. I'm still in the first week as her. I already know of some stuff I must improve. I've learned some other stuff while reading the stuff in this thread. And I'd very much appreciate suggestions, as there might be stuff I haven't noticed by myself or by reading the SA.

These are matches extracted from tight balanced sessions. I don't think any of the guys were very familiar with Hilde. One of the fun parts in playingas rejected characters.

Thanks.
Hahha this aeon player is funny cause its wierd to see someone this good with aeon that doesnt use a good game plan. He plays a pretty good aeon he just need to bait RO more. Or put you in situations where you know you can be RO easily and force you to make mistakes. He doesnt use like any 66a either which is really bad and he going for wrong combo's. ok just had to say that lol

You play a good hilde already. Your spacing is good. I said alot of these things to haitian but im gona be person specific.

Right now A+B hold is working for you. But once you play people with hilde knowledge you gota not use it as much. In your situation you where just using what works so i approve that. But the first time someone shows you they wont be hit by A+B hold, you gota stop using it.

good frame traps to use A+B hold

22b-step in- ab hold

c2a-ab hold

66 ab- ab hold

3a- ab hold

66b be -step in- ab hold ( 66b be can be ducked on 2nd hit, so this is risky option)

these are only times i use ab hold vs good players. As always you have to read what you can abuse vs what person. Some people will know how to dodge ab hold but wont jg c3a ever, So you need to figure out what people will let you get away with. My suggestions are for people who wont let you get away with anything. The people who know hilde just as well as i do.

22_88 aa 2nd a can be ducked and its pretty common knowledge.

quote me talking to haitian

"22_88 aa will always get ducked by good people on 2nd hit if first hit doesnt connect. Sometimes i will do 22_88a-2ab to catch thier crouch. When they read that you can do 22_88a-grab. Most the time i just use 22_88a and block cause they at advantage. If they always just do a low attack after 22_88 a you are always at disadvantage".

I wouldnt use 22_88 k, but honestly im willing to discuss. In the situation you use 22_88 k i would just use 22_88 a cause it tech crouch's. How much faster or slower is 22_88 k then 22_88 a? cause i really dont know. Still i think using 22_88 a in that situation is just better.EDIT- 22k i14, 22a i25. So yeah 22 k is decent i guess. I would use 22k from distance and use 22 a when im close in hopes of tech crouching something.
quote lord slade
"Quickstep adds 10 frames to the move if done from neutral".

you need to use more 2k, it has good range. Its a good tool to just annoy people with a fast low.

The nm player is pretty bad so i cant really give you much advice there. Try to only post matches vs really good players.I thought overall you playing her well.

Hahha this aeon player is funny cause its wierd to see someone this good with aeon that doesnt use a good game plan. He plays a pretty good aeon he just need to bait RO more. Or put you in situations where you know you can be RO easily and force you to make mistakes. He doesnt use like any 66a either which is really bad and he going for wrong combo's. ok just had to say that lol

You play a good hilde already. Your spacing is good. I said alot of these things to haitian but im gona be person specific.

Right now A+B hold is working for you. But once you play people with hilde knowledge you gota not use it as much. In your situation you where just using what works so i approve that. But the first time someone shows you they wont be hit by A+B hold, you gota stop using it.

good frame traps to use A+B hold

22b-step in- ab hold

c2a-ab hold

66 ab- ab hold

3b- ab hold

66b be -step in- ab hold ( 66b be can be ducked on 2nd hit, so this is risky option)

these are only times i use ab hold vs good players. As always you have to read what you can abuse vs what person. Some people will know how to dodge ab hold but wont jg c3a ever, So you need to figure out what people will let you get away with. My suggestions are for people who wont let you get away with anything. The people who know hilde just as well as i do.

22_88 aa 2nd a can be ducked and its pretty common knowledge.

quote me talking to haitian

"22_88 aa will always get ducked by good people on 2nd hit if first hit doesnt connect. Sometimes i will do 22_88a-2ab to catch thier crouch. When they read that you can do 22_88a-grab. Most the time i just use 22_88a and block cause they at advantage. If they always just do a low attack after 22_88 a you are always at disadvantage".

I wouldnt use 22_88 k, but honestly im willing to discuss. In the situation you use 22_88 k i would just use 22_88 a cause it tech crouch's. How much faster or slower is 22_88 k then 22_88 a? cause i really dont know. Still i think using 22_88 a in that situation is just better.EDIT- 22k i14, 22a i25. So yeah 22 k is decent i guess. I would use 22k from distance and use 22 a when im close in hopes of tech crouching something.
quote lord slade
"Quickstep adds 10 frames to the move if done from neutral".

you need to use more 2k, it has good range. Its a good tool to just annoy people with a fast low.

The nm player is pretty bad so i cant really give you much advice there. Try to only post matches vs really good players.I thought overall you playing her well.

I guess this match was an exception to the Aeon player. He usually ROs me a lot and pwns me with 66A. His status message in the PSN is "66Aeon" xD

This was just a match that went my way. I have a long session stored on "my battles". I already uploaded another fight that went my way, and I'll upload some that went his way, later.

The Nightmare player doesn't main him, I think. I think he mains Voldo. I'll post something of his Voldo, later. He usually beats me with Voldo.

Thanks for the review and tips, overall. The frame trap data for (A+B) sounds particularly refreshing.

Overall, I'm aware of the dangers you mentioned and I'm exploiting people's ignorance in regards to Hilde, since she is one of the rejects and people hardly ever face her. The AI dodges (A+B) with a decent frequency. It ducks 22AA rarely, but still does, sometimes. I could easily adjust to an opponent with propper reactions to these moves.

I'm only growing soft on C3A, cause no one ever JGs, GIs or aGIs it. No one I've been facing, I mean, including the AI.

And speaking of (A+B)... would using the tap version, A+B, be a good mind game against people who try to step (A+B)? Or would the damage be too low to be worth the risk?

And I do a like a certain frame trap... 22B on block, then (A+B). Down side is you loose the charge combo in case the 22B hits. So... it might good if they have low health.

I think I'm already using 2K a little more. And I intend to use it even more, specially followed up by techs. I wonder if 4B is good enough a backstep for this situation.

And the frame traps from 1A are also some fun.

I'd also like to point out that Hilde's AI is very good. In Quick Battle we have some AIs with low Close Combat that really taught me some stuff about spacing.

I'll post more vids, later. Thank you very much for the input, man!

Its good to just do ab no hold sometimes. I've actually posted that on here a few times. Its good to do but i wouldn't throw it out to much.

And as far as c3a you will find that charging to c1a or c2a is actually more rewarding. Just takes a little more effort and skill. C2a makes amazing frame traps and it tech crouch's. Its pretty amazing. c2a-2ab 2 hit 60 damage vs c3a 42 damage. I was told along time ago that c2a and c3a are the same speed coming out. So basically c2a is just a better c3a.

Hilde AI is meh to me. It does weak combo's and imo to play hilde at a high level you need to be able to combo well.

quote you
"And I do a like a certain frame trap... 22B on block, then (A+B). Down side is you loose the charge combo in case the 22B hits. So... it might good if they have low health."

every time you do 22_88 B hold the b after. Now if it hits you do combo as usual. If they block you let go during the blockstun animation. Its really not hard to hit confirm. Seriously you can hit confirm this easily so you should never lose your c2b when the 22_88 b hits. Wait till the moment 22_88 b hits, if they crumple it means you hit, and if they are pushed back let go of your charges.Either way you release your charge there. Trust me you really do have a lot of time to release your charges safely during 22_88 b block stun animation.

22_88 aa plain and simple is not really a good move lol

every time you do 22_88 B hold the b after. Now if it hits you do combo as usual. If they block you let go during the blockstun animation. Its really not hard to hit confirm. Seriously you can hit confirm this easily so you should never lose your c2b when the 22_88 b hits. Wait till the moment 22_88 b hits, if they crumple it means you hit, and if they are pushed back let go of your charges.Either way you release your charge there. Trust me you really do have a lot of time to release your charges safely during 22_88 b block stun animation.

Awesome tip. This will change my life. I should have thought of it. Thanks again.

Hilde AI is meh to me. It does weak combo's and imo to play hilde at a high level you need to be able to combo well.
Oh... and about that... I meant her AI is good in comparison to some of the AIs. Aeon's AI is awful, for instance, as it spams that flying dive like crazy. It's only good to practice punish step and punish, but it teaches you very little about how to face a good Aeon player.

Hilde's AI at least spaces well and teaches you to fear her CE.
________

Below are a few more videos. The Patroklos player is the best I know. I guess Hilde is one of the characters he knows less about. The Voldo guy is the Nightmare player from the video I've posted before. He has beaten my Hilde with his Voldo more than the other way around. And the Aeon player is the same of the previous video. We've been pretty tight. I think all these guys have an edge on me, specially bullingan, the one as Patroklos.

Gamerbee played at ShadowLoo Showdown.
Lost to me and some other Sydney player. but that was when he was playing sieg.
I beat him pretty badly at SLS but I dunno if he swapped to poe cause he dislikes sieg or if he conterpicked for hilde

you shoulda worked on the MU. its not like the pyraah player is from LI and u could always get sets against him

Me vs Gamerbee at ECT4:

Apparently the first SCV tournament for us both lol

gammerbee has no clue how to fight hilde lol. You should have spammed gimmicks and once he was frustrated grab the shi out of him. AB hold all day into frame traps till he showed he knew how to get out of it. You had afew times when you could have done 3b be for RO's and you didnt( 2:56,6:18,7:50,8:38)

I was having a prob hitting people who are ducking. 2 ab unsafe and honestly not that fast,b+k is too slow. So i started using 3k A LOT. Its so good man add it to your move set. Instead of using so many 66k which are unsafe if step'ed just use 3k.

When you fight pyrra's you cant use 22_88 b all that much when you are close to them. They are just to fast. They will hit you before you tech crouch. Try to use your kicks to get people out of your face(3k,6k,1kk,2k,k). I wouldnt use to much down a anymore when you have options like these kicks. Get more used with them. And thier distance and how safe they are. If one of these kicks hit you can always 44b after and get away for free.

@ 4:26 you should have 3b be looped at the very least. would have got 140 damage and the match would be tied. You would have wasted only one bar and you had two.

You use 66b be well but you use it to much. Its really not good cause both hits can be ducked. You do 22_88b-66b be A LOT. I think a better option is 22_88 B(blocked)-c1b.

22_88 B(blocked)-c1b hits them if they do any attack that doesnt move them to the left or right. does not hit if they move to left or right.It takes 40 damage. If its dodged it leaves you far away.

22_88 B-66b beats any attack where they dont move, but will lose to tc moves, will lose to any move that moves them right or left,will lose if they duck. its only 26 damage. Also if its dodged it puts your body really close to them. This versions purpose is if you read them really well you can do 66b be and get counter hit into huge damage combo.

I think 22_88 b-66b otption is only worth if you can make the read that they will do a standing attack and you should always do 22_88 b-66b be version. Not worth the risk to just throw out 22_88b-66b. otherwise 22_88 B- c1b is just the better all around option

After 6ab hits i like to use 2A+B,b+K(safe and catches all ways but step left),grab or 4A. The options i chose are a little more risky than what you do but the risk is vs the reward. a cool mix up 6 ab hit-44a counter hit- free grab mix up.

Idk how free gammerbee is to grab. But on the raft you should have been using A grab be version and b grab to RO him when you back is at the edge. If he like to duck grabs run up and do 3k. After being hit with 3k enough anyone will stand.

After i hit with 22_88 aa i like to rush grab,2ab,3k. If the grab works you sometimes get a back or side grab.

i would only use 66 ab as a tech trap. its really an unsafe move. when i notice people freeze up after they block 22_88 b i will use a 66 ab. Thats only time i use 66 ab besides tech traps.

Instead of crouch teching moves up close with 22_88 b you need to use safer options like c3b or B+K. You really need to start using b+K as a poke. Its so good, it moves forward a ton and tech crouches and on block can lead to frame traps. I like to b+k blocked-22_88 b. pretty cool frametrap.

LOL i just relized this match isnt haitain , well info is still good though lol

Hey team homeland, can I get some tips?
I know I talk a lot of shit on these boards but when it comes to it I'm really not that great.

We switched setups at the venue at the last minute and because of that we unknowingly played on an unpatched system, which caused me to drop the "Runis combo" and some charges lol.

After watching it again, I realized I missed out on some big punishes, aGI moments (22AA), and most of all: NM stance killers (B+K/2A+B). I also never seemed to realize that 1A was a tech trap...

Thanks! See you at EVO!
=D

Last edited by a moderator:
Vs Nightmare.
1A gets punished by CE. Regardless of his followup.
88B beats a lot of his options, you'd be surprised. Against NM's who like to 3AA or aGA at start of round, if you predict it, 88B will win you that round (since of course its NM so 88B goes into C2B BT K x 8 C4A for the win since NM's hitbox is perfect for it).

this japanese player does a backdash tech i also saw tokido using. I am gona start using it now. What i think he does is instead of tap back to back step he holds back and does the first little dash in walk back and then stops and does it again. It makes your character move back faster and safer.

edit: yeah i have no clue how he is doing it. saw tokido doing it too. Looks like the old back g, but it isnt.

WTF if you press back then right or left then G. You can side step g instantly......

Ok wow i figured it out and i feel really dumb i havent been doing this. Hildes b cancels into g crazy fast. He is doing back b-g really fast. hildes b is amazing for this.............. its basicly just as good as prepatch back g if not better.......

This is how it works and let me warn you its all about timing. If you cancel b into g at the right time hilde will move back a small amount. So its kinda lika a kara back step cancel. he cancels back into g right when hilde steps a good amount. Then he cancels b into g at just the right time so he gets kara back step from canceling the b. So he gets alot of range quickly. This i think will become essential to playing hilde well. Infact as we can see it makes her super good on endless levels. She can back step all day. Everyone should check out this japanese guys hilde he is pretty amazing.

honestly i might not even be right, cause ive seen him do the dash back and then do ca1-4 and do cb1-4. He either using both a and b to cancel into g. Or he using some method i cant figure out. Someone please figure this out

edit: ok im 100% sure this is it lol. He is using both a and b and canceling that into g. He cancels backstep into a or b. And then right away hit g. The trick is jf taping g so none of the block animation comes out.

every character can do this. now that i think about it ive seen euro pro's do it too. I think its better with some then others. essentially it is back g. your just adding that a or b to make the g possible. You go so fast that it looks just like step g.

Back