How difficult do you feel Voldo is to learn?

6:6B, 66B, 6:6B, 25*85~44{B}, (dl)MCHT K - is the go to combo for me, I get to choose between staying in MCHT or going into LFHT by replacing MCHT K with MCHT 66, but the original combo leaves Voldo in BS for a staple wake-up between BS 3B or BS 1A... It does way more damage if the opponent tries to tech...

Zombie, it's true if they do tech then its way more damage and by all means I keep using it. But that combo is crazy unreliable near any kind of wall or edge, so gotta watch out for that. If they aren't teching, then it depends also on how much you like MC and LF vs that character. I won't use those stances at all vs any character with a crouch grab. Also some players are just very good at neutralizing those stances, while others are not. If they aren't teching, and MC/LF are not a good option, then really its just BS oki that you're getting. If they don't understand Voldo's oki this is fine but if they do I think you would get more damage from the standing mixup.

66B/6:6B is only use for Punishment/Combos. I have no Idea when I would use this move by itself.

MC/LF are great if you know how to use em. The key actually is knowing how to use MT A+B~G/ A+B to get out of Stance BS (and avoid crouch grabs) or using it to get away from the Opponent, say when MCFT.

Overall Voldo is NOT the hardest character to learn. Try playing Taki or Setsuka, and creating a reliable flow.

The true Trick to Voldo is that he has alot of Singular moves, so people are confused about how to set things up. The key is using his Pushblock, and his evasiveness to land your moves.

OR in other words, you must know how to use 2A+B to go into CR/BS/MT/LF etc. Swift transitions into these stances, and knowing what you want to do when you enter these stances, will help make an effective Voldo.

Agreed - there's no one thing that makes learning him a challenge - stitching it together is the hard part. I'd say learning Voldo is as hard as learning Tira personally...

Ie. Simple basics, but you have to be able to think and respond well to your opponents set ups and space control.

DINO, one thing I recently discovered that really surprised me and might be quite a sticking point for Voldo is that post 2A+B might be fully reactable. When I played Krayzie even on a crappy online connection he was able to react to the cancel and interrupt before I could get a move in. I also know there are players who can beat CR mixups by crouching and rising vs CR K. Combining those two, when you 2A+B someone they could crouch and then interrupt your cancel if/when they detect it. This completely shuts down all options after 2A+B. To be fair many solid players I played offline weren't able to react to the cancel so it's fairly hard, but it doesn't seem impossible.

I do sometimes use 66B outside combos. Sad as it is 66B is tied for Voldo's fastest mid (facing forward) and it does way more damage than BB, so if someone is cheating on frames it's a pretty good option. Also it is still safe against the vast majority of the cast, although it spaces very poorly (tends to leave you in grab range or very close to it).

DINO, one thing I recently discovered that really surprised me and might be quite a sticking point for Voldo is that post 2A+B might be fully reactable. When I played Krayzie even on a crappy online connection he was able to react to the cancel and interrupt before I could get a move in. I also know there are players who can beat CR mixups by crouching and rising vs CR K. Combining those two, when you 2A+B someone they could crouch and then interrupt your cancel if/when they detect it. This completely shuts down all options after 2A+B. To be fair many solid players I played offline weren't able to react to the cancel so it's fairly hard, but it doesn't seem impossible.

I do sometimes use 66B outside combos. Sad as it is 66B is tied for Voldo's fastest mid (facing forward) and it does way more damage than BB, so if someone is cheating on frames it's a pretty good option. Also it is still safe against the vast majority of the cast, although it spaces very poorly (tends to leave you in grab range or very close to it).
2A+B236 cancels never have been safe. It's more just a fear thing like any character with a move cancel (Rugis 66a+bG for example).
Unfortunately there is no frame data on 2A+B236 but considering the fastest move from CR is i16 and the 2A+B leaves them in force crouch i don't really see anything but FC 2A getting into the mixup. And that's only if 2A+B236 leaves you at 0 or +1. And as far as reactable i would just say it's more a fuzzy guard than anything. Next time you fight Krayzie try delaying the CR B rather than doing it instantly everytime. I bet you he's fuzzy guarding and punishing as the only thing faster is his CR A which gets beaten by the fuzzy guard as well. Just my thoughts anyway.

Me personally, I dont use the Taunt Cancel unless I'm really going for CF. I usually use the CR~G~RCC (Crawl~Cancel, RecoverCrouch Cancel) and react accordingly. Truly his 236B/236K isn't that hard to react to. The trick is having them guess are you going to Cancel, or are you going to continue the move. After that its pure mind game.

And Krayzie is a special case. Dudes a beast and understands the game fully, which is why no crazy amount of input lag will affect gameplay, because its about Reading Setups, not reacting to moves.

2A+B w/ Voldo is a Staple regardless. Its like Taki's Bombs. You want it to Hit, but really its best used as a tool to See how they react to it, and adapt accordingly.

With that said, Voldo is not the EZest nor the Hardest to play. It just depends if he fits your style, and you can adapt on the fly with his Stance Transitions.

Twiztid, the fuzzy guard/delaying is a good point, I will try it out. He definitely claimed he was reacting to the cancel. However I think you misunderstand how the move works. No move can get into the mixup, 2A+B236 -> the major options from CR are all impossible to interrupt. What I can say about the frames without the cancel is that CRA+B is GI'able, and move is i20. So the advantage is less than 17 frames. On the other hand I have never seen CR K get interrupted and its i24. I've also never seen CR B get GI'ed but granted its a low and you don't see a lot of low GI's (better to block).
Based on that I would guess 2A+B236 gives somewhere between 12 and 16 frames of advantage on block. When you cancel with G into FC, you lose a lot of frames and it goes to -3. The problem is not Krayzie beating the CR mixup, the problem is that he waits to see the cancel and then attacks. I'm FC and at -3 so he has no problem beating me out at that point.

I'll say this. Voldos reward for learning his move set is more fulfilling than most. That is, when you learn the moves and can use voldo effectively he's a pub-game smasher and a high tier competitor. Sure you can spam stuns, but being able to evade and trick your enemy is half of what voldo is. So I'd agree that he is difficult to master but not difficult to learn.

He definitely claimed he was reacting to the cancel. However I think you misunderstand how the move works. No move can get into the mixup, 2A+B236 -> the major options from CR are all impossible to interrupt. What I can say about the frames without the cancel is that CRA+B is GI'able, and move is i20. So the advantage is less than 17 frames. On the other hand I have never seen CR K get interrupted and its i24. I've also never seen CR B get GI'ed but granted its a low and you don't see a lot of low GI's (better to block).
Based on that I would guess 2A+B236 gives somewhere between 12 and 16 frames of advantage on block. When you cancel with G into FC, you lose a lot of frames and it goes to -3. The problem is not Krayzie beating the CR mixup, the problem is that he waits to see the cancel and then attacks. I'm FC and at -3 so he has no problem beating me out at that point.
The cancel is pretty easy to see. And if you try to attack after it it's pretty much a guaranteed CH for the people that can react to it.
2A+B236K can't be interrupted if done immediately. I did some testing and couldn't even get into it with Amy. But i try not to use the CR G simply for spacing reasons. I'll always use the taunt cancel as it leaves me standing and at a slight distance rather than right in their face and crouching. And honestly if he likes to react to your cancels just guard and try to bait out an unsafe move (Astaroth's 6K for example) and then punish or attack accordingly.

Back