How do you get in your "Zone" when in tournament?

linkorz

Super Moderator
I think most people do better under certain conditions when playing. How do you get in this "Zone"? Personally, I listen to soft music to calm myself down during matches, though I've noticed sometimes this can be futile, as it means I can't handle stuff like a crowd during a match.

it varies from person to person, my own experience isn't as vast as others as got into the offline scene 2 years ago...but within that time I've experimented with several things:
1) I'm not a crowd person...at all...if the event is small then fair enough, however I tend to be slightly intimidated by larger numbers...that said I've learned to get around it by simply ignoring or rather 'forgetting' that there's all these people and there's all this noise once I start playing. However it makes me a little uncomfortable if people 'make it known' if they're behind me spectating.

2) Noise is a massive factor for me also....I need to be able to hear the game, I've tried playing loud music and listening to headphones etc...it serves as a distraction or something I HAVE to fiddle about with, so I unwittingly end up paying more attention to these as opposed to focusing on 50-50's Viola's running with at that time...not to mention I'll end up ripping them off my ears mid-game anyway

during my time at SFO we were stationed quite a distance away from the Guilty Gear and Street Fighter groups, so I was calm and collected and didn't have to worry about much...however as soon I reached Winners Finals/Grand Finals the pressure was already piling on because the sensation was new to me and I didn't want to botch it...which turned it into one of those situation where as soon as you started thinking about it and trying to prevent it, you become your own worst enemy...but if that wasn't enough, the tourney was on a Sunday and I had no accommodation, so I absolutely HAD to get in there and finish things as quick as possible.

Pulling from all that I tend to prefer quiet/secluded areas or at least small enough so that I don't feel pressured by a crowd...or with enough experience to get over tourney nerves.

From my own experience, I haven't really found a way into my "zone". Reminiscing all my past tournament experiences, I found I either do extremely well when I channel my anger or I'm just playing serious/non-serious sets. TFC 2014 is where I was able to channel my anger to a degree, I was sent into losers which infuriated the hell of out of me.... which you'd think would provoke me to make unwise decisions. It could have been the guys I played but, it produced an extremely offensive style, allowing to me literally steam roll everyone up to IRM when I kinda put on the brake since my initial goal was just to make GF. So yeh effective... I guess. TFC 2015, I did a numerous amount of sets with Fuzion before the tournament which I can say ended up a lot in my favor. Being in that calm sense, I believe allows you to react a lot better and find it easier to pick ur opponent apart. Just having no stress of losing or for some.. not having ur "title" damaged.. it makes it easier to play.

I get drunk. Really drunk. That's when I can play my best.

You might think I'm joking, but I'm sure you'll see one day.

I'm sure any of you I've played enough have noticed pretty inconsistent playing from me, and it's most likely the difference between sober fukou and drunk fukou.

I get drunk. Really drunk. That's when I can play my best.

You might think I'm joking, but I'm sure you'll see one day.

I'm sure any of you I've played enough have noticed pretty inconsistent playing from me, and it's most likely the difference between sober fukou and drunk fukou.
ok ill do that

I used to think that playing the right music would help, but it actually didn't help when I realized that I use audible cues to JG some unblockable attacks like Cervantes' Gunshot. I have many accounts because there are only 50 create a soul slots available per game save, and what I've noticed is that my win/ loss percentage is generally between 56 and 45 percent on the more recently made ones. I think I just have really good days and really bad ones. But I also primarily play with Kilik and Edge Master nowadays too, so that may also play a considerable part in it.

Same, but (at least for me) it's not as easy as it sounds.
You get used to it. First tournament I went to I had a massive adrenaline dump so bad I was shaking after I was done. (Probably had something to do with getting 2nd place my first time out.)

Now I don't get that at all.

New games I don't understand as well will kick that back in though.

For some reason (and i'm not joking here) i get sort of tired when i'm in a tournament. Yawning, feeling like i'm slacking of and just get the feeling like i could sleep where i stand or sit but as soon as they call my name i try to shake it of and meet my oponent with respect and good sportsmanship.

But to actually get in the zone where i feel comfortable to play. I shut of all surounding sounds. A single distracting sound and i'm completely out of my game. That's why i wear headphones (no music), earplugs or something. If i can just sit there in peace. I'm all good.

For some reason (and i'm not joking here) i get sort of tired when i'm in a tournament. Yawning, feeling like i'm slacking of and just get the feeling like i could sleep where i stand or sit but as soon as they call my name i try to shake it of and meet my oponent with respect and good sportsmanship.
I used to get that. I think it's a stress response. Just instead of tensing up, your mind tries to clock out instead.

Back