How do you play your Nightmare?

I play a very defensive/counter style Nightmare. I block, predict my opponent's string, and counter accordingly. Once I counter I follow up and tech trap or with another combo. I have tried to play offensively with Nightmare, but I simply cannot do it because i don't know what to do. I lack the experience needed with it, and I have played very little offensive Nightmares.

Im fairly balanced with aggression/defense usually. I just work with the best possible direction in any situation. I do fake-out alot with GS to get some nice punishing... I don't do lows besides 1[A], 2[K](not often), and low grabs. I try to trick good people into stepping alot so I can punish with A:G:A. I gamble with 44K and its really succesful actually. I make sure I do enough Gauge damage so that if they keep blocking I get CF, but I really just want to kill them usually. I usually try to use my range for advantage and push close-range characters back. I have no tactic with Amy except hope they arent good. lol

I play NM is a very overly aggressive fashion. Anything that will hurt my opponent I will use. Unsafe? Pfft, who cares. I use GS A+B without it being the combo ender. DIME even remarked I made it look safe once lol. Tons of 33Bs and 3Bs. For me, it's all about pressure, pressure, pressure.

I'm also a randomizing grab whore, bitches.

Im fairly balanced with aggression/defense usually. I just work with the best possible direction in any situation. I do fake-out alot with GS to get some nice punishing... I don't do lows besides 1[A], 2[K](not often), and low grabs. I try to trick good people into stepping alot so I can punish with A:G:A. I gamble with 44K and its really succesful actually. I make sure I do enough Gauge damage so that if they keep blocking I get CF, but I really just want to kill them usually. I usually try to use my range for advantage and push close-range characters back. I have no tactic with Amy except hope they arent good. lol
you have a nice mixup nightmare. i use ALOT of iaga to cutoff your step then pound you with 33b and 3b :D

rather balanced. im more spacing oriented because i like to seek that whiff punish. for pressure i usually front step iagA or box step grab to make them duck, then mix it up with 3B. i like alot of 1K and 11K shenanigans, and i try to adjust my aggression level based on my opponents reactions. i like to move around alot, but tbh i actually find it hard to be aggressive with nightmare. too much in the siegfried mindset maybe, or perhaps its just my inexperience with him. just gotta train harder i guess.

Been using nightmare for awhile now, and I'm not quite sure how being aggressive with a generally unsafe character is a good idea. Slower, harder hitting characters that have range seem to be best played by being defensive and waiting for the punishing opportunities. But that's just my 2 cents.

Against faster, shorter reach characters, utilizing nightmare's pushback moves is a good way to keep the much needed distance between you and the opponent. At longer distances, nightmare becomes a lot more safe.

Favorite combo GS-A (on counter), then A+K. It's not the most damaging or flashiest combo out there, but it's easy to pull off from a timing perspective getting that first counter hit.

Also recently found out that if you hit them with 66B launcher, you can juggle with A2A2A. Don't know if A2A2A is the right way to say it, but it's the 3 string move where the first one is high and the second 2 are low downward slashes. Only thing about this combo is that the last low hit is only guaranteed if you time it perfectly. I still haven't mastered pulling this off 100%. The button inputs are easy, sure, but the timing is what makes it hard. The damage is around 100-ish

After the first A attack after 66B launcher, you can air control away from NM, so the other two hits aren't guaranteed.

GS A, 4KK is a far better combination and allows for more options and spacing than using A+K after the bitch slap also. Can lead to ring outs, wall shenanigans, mind games, or just breathing room.

Nah, not even against a wall as you can air control to the left or right if you wanted, and the air control from that hit is freakin massive.

And GS A, A+K isn't guaranteed either, GS A counter provides 18 frames of whatever you want to rape with until they can block. A+K is 19 frames. So you may hit it every once in a while, but if they're smart enough to just block then you're sitting at -20 and you're fuct.

Yes, and we won't be the only ones to tell you, that performing it in practice mode, and performing it on a real person, two completely separate things. Any attack performed after 66B can be air controlled, you'll land the first hit, the other two will never be guaranteed, no matter how many times you do it in practice mode.

The very creator of the video put this into the description "some of the combos in the video are not guarantied."

Just like the GS A into a back grab, will never be guaranteed because they can break the throw and is character specific, mostly on large characters like Asta and Rock.

I believe you may be thinking of SC3 where CH GS A > A+K was indeed a combo.

Just like the GS A into a back grab, will never be guaranteed because they can break the throw and is character specific, mostly on large characters like Asta and Rock.

Just wanted to emphasize that only Asta and Voldo can break back throws. It can be worthwhile to go for a throw just because it is NM's most damaging option off of CH GS A provided they fail to break the throw.

I didn't think using a throw upon CH GS A would be a back throw, since it's a spin stun. Normal GS A, sure I can see that.

If the CH GS A hits them in the back you'll do a backthrow, or sidethrow depending on whatever angle you hit them at. Its situational at best, but I think it is possible to recognize what side you hit them on.

Yes, and we won't be the only ones to tell you, that performing it in practice mode, and performing it on a real person, two completely separate things. Any attack performed after 66B can be air controlled, you'll land the first hit, the other two will never be guaranteed, no matter how many times you do it in practice mode.

Check 66B 33BGS A, I am sure that combos on most characters if you get the right air. "The right air" is something you have always be away of, also applies on wall combos.

With NM they're specific angles and situations were some combos become possible.

As a Sieg player - moving with Nightmare feels like I'm flying, so I tend to zone and force whiffs where possible, I use pressure as a commodity rather than a necessity. I'm also quite NSS heavy.

Back