How should the next SC handle downloadable content?

Nyte

Fu-ma's Shadow
With each day, we're getting closer to the next SC that has alluded us for so long. However, once we get there, that brings a whole new set of questions that must be answered. One of those questions is in regards to downloadable content.

I'm bringing this up because I suspect that SCVI will be supported longer than SCV was. Lost Swords was supported for over a year, whereas SCV was supported for a few months before Namco stepped in and ceased all production on DLC. In fact, SCVI will likely be supported longer than Lost Swords. How long? I'm not sure.

A good example of fighting game that was supported for a long time, a little too long in fact, was Dead or Alive 5. Released in 2012, it has received DLC for over four years. The amount of things they charged for was insane, and they kept making updated rereleases so they could keep the money train rolling. I feel like it went on too long though, because a DOA6 is MIA despite them stating there will be one, when it was perfectly possible for one to be made by now.

So, how should SCVI handle downloadable content? I feel like it'll at least be better than what DOA5 had, if only by default, because CAS means that the costumes can be applied to everyone in, edited in any way, and made into something else. They can't do what DOA5 did by charging to give one character a costume another character had. This instead means that they'll have to be more creative when it comes to costumes, instead of just giving us skimpy bikinis and reskins.

Also, what about DLC characters? That wasn't possible before, but now we can have that. I have sneaking suspicion that they would add DLC guest characters for maximum profitability, but this would be a good chance to bring back old favorites that somehow wouldn't make the cut (I know SCVI will likely bring back most of the favorites, but still), and more interestingly, brand new characters with unique styles and backstories.

I wish they would go the route Overwatch did by having all new content be free in order to prevent inequality, but I doubt they'll do that. Overwatch was the exception, not the rule, and with what the gaming industry is today we can only hope the nickel-and-diming won't be as bad as a certain other game I mentioned.

So how do you want DLC to be handled? Share your thoughts here, because I believe SCVI will have a long life ahead of it as soon as it actually comes out. What should they do in regards to extending the life of the game? Discuss.

There is a trend in industry. Video games become services and developers add microtransactions and loot boxes (i.e Overwatch) for cost reasons.

Tekken 7 should give you an idea of Namco's upcoming plans.

Also, what do you mean <<DLC characters were not possible before>> ?

There is a trend in industry. Video games become services and developers add microtransactions and loot boxes (i.e Overwatch) for cost reasons.

Tekken 7 should give you an idea of Namco's upcoming plans.

Also, what do you mean <<DLC characters were not possible before>> ?
In the last gen few games had DLC characters due to limitations. Now we can have them.

Does anyone else worry about updated rereleases? Granted, SC hasn't really done that before (unless one counts Broken Destiny to IV, but that was a handheld port), but still. I'm worried they'll try their damnedest to milk SC for all its worth for as long as they can. Just imagine they release Soulcalibur VI, which is bare bones and is lacking in content like SCV. Then the next year they release Soulcalibur VI: Legendary Edition with new characters, modes, stages etc. that should've already been in the base game, but with an extra $40 cost. Then of course, they use it as a platform to nickel-and-dime the customers to infinity so they can squeeze as much money as they can. Then, after that, they release Soulcalibur VI: Mystical Edition with even more content that felt like it was held back just to charge for extra money. Eventually you get a roster of like 40 characters, with a portion of them being guests, and a bunch of new characters that serve no real purpose other than to inflate the roster.

Of course, they'll also make changes to the gameplay mechanics, essentially forcing the players to move on to the next iteration or get left in the dust. If SCVI isn't complete at launch, I hope they do the right thing and add onto it over time through gradual improvements on a single platform, rather than doing what DOA5 or SFIV did. Part of the reason I made this is because I'm worried that's what they'll do.

Does anyone else worry about updated rereleases? Granted, SC hasn't really done that before (unless one counts Broken Destiny to IV, but that was a handheld port), but still. I'm worried they'll try their damnedest to milk SC for all its worth for as long as they can. Just imagine they release Soulcalibur VI, which is bare bones and is lacking in content like SCV. Then the next year they release Soulcalibur VI: Legendary Edition with new characters, modes, stages etc. that should've already been in the base game, but with an extra $40 cost. Then of course, they use it as a platform to nickel-and-dime the customers to infinity so they can squeeze as much money as they can. Then, after that, they release Soulcalibur VI: Mystical Edition with even more content that felt like it was held back just to charge for extra money. Eventually you get a roster of like 40 characters, with a portion of them being guests, and a bunch of new characters that serve no real purpose other than to inflate the roster.

Of course, they'll also make changes to the gameplay mechanics, essentially forcing the players to move on to the next iteration or get left in the dust. If SCVI isn't complete at launch, I hope they do the right thing and add onto it over time through gradual improvements on a single platform, rather than doing what DOA5 or SFIV did. Part of the reason I made this is because I'm worried that's what they'll do.
If Soul Calibur 6 ends up lacking content like Soul Calibur 5 it would kill the franchise after SCIV and SCV being disappointing for content people would have a low tolerance for this nonsense already.

If Soul Calibur 6 ends up lacking content like Soul Calibur 5 it would kill the franchise after SCIV and SCV being disappointing for content people would have a low tolerance for this nonsense already.
Isn't that what Capcom does with their recent games nowadays when it comes to content?

Isn't that what Capcom does with their recent games nowadays when it comes to content?
Yes that's technically true but keep in mind they also have more brand recognition when it comes to this. Also for some reason people always defends Capcom when this stuff comes up.

Yes that's technically true but keep in mind they also have more brand recognition when it comes to this. Also for some reason people always defends Capcom when this stuff comes up.
When it comes to Capcom, it's usually hit or miss nowadays.

Not to mention Capcom is in deep shit right now. Anyways, I would like to think that all of this time we haven't had an SC means they're actually working on a complete product. Not a game with little content to be used as a platform for more DLC.

I would like new and classic costumes for default characters as DLC. I would also like balance updates and new characters.
I actually had that in mind for CAS. For example, they could do "Siegfried pack" which gives the user CAS pieces from all previous games to use. However I think that all defaults should be available instead of being downloadable. That way we can mix-and-match without having to pay extra and having access to all costumes.

I have a feeling it will just be stuffed with bullshit DLCs. I wouldn't mind paying for some costumes like I did in SCV, because that's worth it for me. More classic costumes would be perfect, but what I'm afraid of is DLC characters. I bet they'll have some of those, and that would be annoying.... But even if that happens, I'll probably buy those too.

1) Costumes and costume-pieces from previous games (they wouldn't include them all as "base" content anyway)
2) Few characters (whom? depends on initial roster)
3) collaboration costumes and weapons that fit time and theme of SC, something like DarkSouls, Berserk, Orochi Warriors, Bleach etc DLC
4) what not to do
_a) out of place collaborations (nowdays/too futuristic)
_b) don't pull off SFV
_c) don't be unreasonably overpriced
5) timely balance updates
That what I want from SC6 DLC.

Last edited:
I actually had that in mind for CAS. For example, they could do "Siegfried pack" which gives the user CAS pieces from all previous games to use. However I think that all defaults should be available instead of being downloadable. That way we can mix-and-match without having to pay extra and having access to all costumes.
As great of an idea that is, I just can't imagine a CaS character wearing any of Voldo's 1P outfits with his crotch armor.

...yeesh.

I like how SC4 allowed you to interchange Nightmare's arm between his SC4, SC2 (1P), SC1 (2P) and I think he had a helm that only he could equip, wouldn't hurt to make your character that much more unique
I think Yoshimitsu had a similar feature as well. Voldo even had some masks that only he could equip. I think they should do this stuff for every character.

Back