How to beat Algol with Talim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the opponent has experience against Talim... Algol CAN NOT lose. Her ONLY chance against Algol is with ignorance.

If the opponent has experience against Talim... Algol CAN NOT lose. Her ONLY chance against Algol is with ignorance.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. The more your opponent knows talim, the easier for them to block and punish and therefore harder for you to win.

However, learning Algol's weaknesses is the first step. Only other thing i can think of is to improve your mixup game. As long as you mix up your WS and WL, there's always the chance of some good damage.

Algol... there's no set strategy. But I'll say good movement, precise interrupts, and taking advantage of EVERY punish opportunity including successful sidesteps, are all extremely important to even stand a chance.

Secondly, GIs... lots of GIs. if you can react to most of Algol's linear moves when trapped by bubbles, GIs help a lot.

AS/WL mixups are not a good idea. Yes, you can go for the mixup once or twice on wakeup, but it's better to hang back and avoid jumping in a whole lot. His teleport/bubbles render WL/WC useless if timed properly. Try and stay in his face, throw as much as you can without getting predictable, and remember his teleport when your at + frames.

It's still a ridiculous matchup, though. Talim's low damage output becomes very apparent here since you basically have to throw away most of your strongest mixups in favor of positioning and safety most of the time. Maybe try to chip away at the SG as much as possible. Honestly, this match would be a lot more tolerable if he didn't have that teleport.

Algol vs. Talim reminds me of sonic vs. Mk. In that match up Sonic has to stay on MK to have chance. But if the Sonic playerdoesn't do that they are going to get rape by the Mk player. The same goes for Talim vs. Algol you have to stay on the king of SC if you want to have chance. In others words, pick your spots, and take advantage of any given moment.

Personally, I'd just pick another character. This matchup REALLY isn't worth the aggravation. Lol.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. The more your opponent knows talim, the easier for them to block and punish and therefore harder for you to win.

Against blocking and retaliating opponents, I use 2A+B or 6A+B. These moves deal good soul gauge damage, that should not be overlooked. The opponent can be in serious trouble if they let talim use these moves more than a few times on their block. If opponent is getting used to the idea of 6A+B used on them (they start to side step instead of blocking it in anticipation), use 6A+B G as a fake and use horizontal attacks such as AABB to catch their sidestep and counterhitting them. >:D

edit: adding another bit to this post. :D

I've talked about what we might try if opponent anticipates 6A+B. But what if opponent decides to block moves that do not do as much soul damage and tries to retaliate. 2A+B does decent soulgauge damage but not a lot. They could block, take the soul gauge damage, and attack with BB right after you use that move. If you try to use Talim's dodgy windy tactics by taping 4 or 8/2 right after 2A+B, you might end up getting nailed by the 2nd B. In anticipation of a BB, use sidestep and 8K or 2K as an alternative to the other dodgy tactics talim has. Good luck >:D.

Try doing that and check if it helps any....

what puts talim at such a disadvantage with algol? his bubbles? his speed? i don't have much vs algol experience, and those i've fought weren't very good with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back