I help in buying a good router to play SCIV online

eagles4life10

[09] Warrior
Hey do anyone know a good router I can buy for my Verizon DSL Online connection that is not that expensive so I can play SCIV online better. My current router is really bad.. Thanks in advance.

I help in buying a good router to play SCIV on

What router do you have and how do you know it's really bad?

Seems like DSL would be the bigger bottleneck.

You need an upgrade from DSL. Plus the online in SC4 blows, so I wouldn't go crazy trying to improve on the online play since what needs to be improved is the netcode the game is using to communicate between clients.

DSL and cable used to be rather neck to neck a couple years ago. However, cable companies increased the benefit of a cable connection - so typically DSL is much slower than cable; altho, in some areas, may have the same or better ping response times than cable, which was the gamer's defending arguement for quite some time (not to get into infrastructures).

Considering a ping of 150~ is considered 'typical online' and that SC4 would be lucky to push 5KB/s, then considering Xbox Live overhead; I would still find it odd that you lag horribly [with people in your region] even with a DSL connection - unless it's some like $15-19/mo 'lite' connection which usually sucks in all facets conceivable.

What makes you suspect your router? In stating 'buy SCIV better' do you mean 'play'? Are you implying lag with your statement?

I would contact your ISP first. What router do you have?

Your problem is lag and you're rather certain it's the router? I haven't had much experience with that brand.

If you can, get yourself a reliable Linksys WRT54G Router off Craigslist for like $35-$40.

Your problem is lag and you're rather certain it's the router? I haven't had much experience with that brand.

If you can, get yourself a reliable Linksys WRT54G Router off Craigslist for like $35-$40.
Actually my main problem is more not connecting to my opponents when I am playing player matches. Its a 50/50 chance I will not connect to my opponent and will have to re enter the room. And for the lag thing, its not really that laggin for me, BUT when I am not fighting and two other person who is fighting (in the room) and I am still there watching the match, it cause the two fighters lag.

Take your router out of the equation and hook up your system straight to the DSL modem and see if you get the same issue. If so, then you need to upgrade your connection. If not, then you can look at getting a new router.

Actually my main problem is more not connecting to my opponents when I am playing player matches. Its a 50/50 chance I will not connect to my opponent and will have to re enter the room. And for the lag thing, its not really that laggin for me, BUT when I am not fighting and two other person who is fighting (in the room) and I am still there watching the match, it cause the two fighters lag.

http://www.portforward.com/

Click your router. Click Xbox Live. Follow the instructions.

Let me know the results afterwards.

It's likely a NAT issue. I have the same thing, certain players are always 1 bar for me. I could buy a newer router that handles it better, but like someone mentioned, the netplay sucks enough to not make me go out and get a new N-router just for that.

Back