I need a confirmation please.

Ac18901

[09] Warrior
HI there im new here, i already post my bio on the introduction page. SO i want to talk about the character creation mode. Has there been any news about the Mode, whether we can choose bonus weapon style from Soul calibur 3 back?

HI there im new here, i already post my bio on the introduction page. SO i want to talk about the character creation mode. Has there been any news about the Mode, whether we can choose bonus weapon style from Soul calibur 3 back?
News on the mode. Yes
Can you choose Bonus weapon styles? No.

BTW, welcome to the forums, good sir, or madam.

So NO chances for those to come back? Hmmm.... now i wonder if i would like to buy PS3 to play it or not...knowing this happen...if there is a bonus weapon style i would surely go to buy a ps3 of course, to play Soul calibur v, but with this....i dont know....

So NO chances for those to come back? Hmmm.... now i wonder if i would like to buy PS3 to play it or not...knowing this happen...if there is a bonus weapon style i would surely go to buy a ps3 of course, to play Soul calibur v, but with this....i dont know....

Why are u so fixed on a bonus weapon style? Instead of making a weapon style only for CaS its better if they just create a new style and flesh out a real character with personality instead of an 'exclusive CAS bonus style'.

Why are u so fixed on a bonus weapon style? Instead of making a weapon style only for CaS its better if they just create a new style and flesh out a real character with personality instead of an 'exclusive CAS bonus style'.
Because it was fun playing with bonus styles on SC3. In stead of having the original styles we could have some other ones and some of the extra styles weren't that bad.

Because it was fun playing with bonus styles on SC3. In stead of having the original styles we could have some other ones and some of the extra styles weren't that bad.

Yes, not to mention that you could customize the character like patroklos doesnt make that any different from Tekken customization. It's like this if you can make Gilgamesh from tower of druaga using patroklos style, and patroklos happen to have the same clothes and can becustomized very similar to Gilgamesh instead of using the basic CaS, then what's the different. IN a sense, character creation that dont have unique style is there only to:
1. Have a different build like a small character using astaroth, or A big character using viola or talim
2. Astaroth being used by female, and vice versa
But, balancing.... god this thing...... if only balancing is an easy thing to do.

Yes, not to mention that you could customize the character like patroklos doesnt make that any different from Tekken customization. It's like this if you can make Gilgamesh from tower of druaga using patroklos style, and patroklos happen to have the same clothes and can becustomized very similar to Gilgamesh instead of using the basic CaS, then what's the different. IN a sense, character creation that dont have unique style is there only to:
1. Have a different build like a small character using astaroth, or A big character using viola or talim
But, balancing.... god this thing...... if only balancing is an easy thing to do.
True that my friend.....true that.

You would rather have 10 real styles and 5 CAS only-styles of shitty quality, instead of having 15 complete styles (with full voice, story mode, character select icon, official artwork)? Less is not more.

Did you write that much lambasted article on shoryuken.com ?

I don't know of and don't care about gligmash, but everything you said there does not make any sense.

You're saying it is a BAD thing that your "unique" customer character is similar to a custom patroklus without explaining why it would be bad.

The only reasoning that one can infer from that is that you want your custom character to be completely unique (while fully realizing you're deluding yourself because some kid down the street could easily make the same CAS formula).

You should at least explain why you feel the need to have a unique customized character because you are clearly unable to articulate why it having a dressed-up real character is a bad thing. Unfortunately you are not the first to do so.

If I were to go by your logic (by taking it to the extreme for you to understand the banality of it) you would rather have ZERO real completed characters and would be happier with 20 custom movesets to dress up in CAS.

No im not the one that write the article.
Im telling the truth here, i played Soul calibur 3. But never once i used the "Soul of..." weapons. All of my characters are using a bonus weapon. To me. Maxi rather becomes maxi, rather than my created characters become maxi. If i want to play maxi style, than id use Maxi himself.

You would rather have 10 real styles and 5 CAS only-styles of shitty quality, instead of having 15 complete styles (with full voice, story mode, character select icon, official artwork)? Less is not more.

Did you write that much lambasted article on shoryuken.com ?

I don't know of and don't care about gligmash, but everything you said there does not make any sense.

You're saying it is a BAD thing that your "unique" customer character is similar to a custom patroklus without explaining why it would be bad.

The only reasoning that one can infer from that is that you want your custom character to be completely unique (while fully realizing you're deluding yourself because some kid down the street could easily make the same CAS formula).

You should at least explain why you feel the need to have a unique customized character because you are clearly unable to articulate why it having a dressed-up real character is a bad thing. Unfortunately you are not the first to do so.

If I were to go by your logic (by taking it to the extreme for you to understand the banality of it) you would rather have ZERO real completed characters and would be happier with 20 custom movesets to dress up in CAS.
I didnt say that. I was saying that prior to SC3 if you didnt want a normal style, get a bonus one.

But when all styles are normal and complete what exactly is the need for "bonus" garbage?

No im not the one that write the article.
Im telling the truth here, i played Soul calibur 3. But never once i used the "Soul of..." weapons. All of my characters are using a bonus weapon. To me. Maxi rather becomes maxi, rather than my created characters become maxi. If i want to play maxi style, than id use Maxi himself.

In SC3 you could also see it as the following. Playing the 'soul of maxi' = maxi. Picking the extra bonus style is just the style of one of the story chars. Like you dont pick bonus style 'tambourine' but you play the 'soul of lynette' . Instead of picking weapon style staff you play the 'soul of hualin'.

In my optic a bonus style for CAS adds nothing really cause its just another style to pick. Now if you could really tweak stuff like.. you decide specificallywhich moves a character can use and which u cant then i could see the point but truth of the matter is a 'bonus style' is just 'another' style except that namco didnt take the time to think of a good character design to give it, too so they just added it to CaS :P

Here's how I see it - The standard styles that come with the game are pretty standard-fare. Sword/shield, greatsword, rapier, katana, nunchaku, chinese sword. I can't see much outside of the broad scope that Soul Calibur covers that people would want to use and even Project Soul realized it, look at what the custom move-sets actually were -either dumbed down versions of existing characters, or ridiculous gimmicks that were trying to be cool; the only one that was worth my time was the kusari gama style, and even then it felt rather half-baked and I ended up going with a "Soul-Of" style in the long run.

You'll find that many of the players here have disdain for the custom styles because even if you get very proficient with them, they have absolutely zero value on a competitive level. They were fun, and that's it. Me? I play this game because I enjoy a competitive, challenging experience with other players and I'm glad that there's no incomplete and broken styles to distract me while I train and improve my skills where I need to.

If i want to play maxi style, than id use Maxi himself.
But this is what you're doing with bonus styles anyways. If you want to play the bonus style with a sword and shield, you could just play Abelia, so you're never really playing with a style that is only yours. Your argument makes no sense. There is a reason why Namco takes the time to make 20 different characters. People making their own style would totally break the game, and most styles would be either overpowered or full of garbage. Besides, all those bonus styles were broken already, they had very few useful moves, and were stupidly simple compared to real characters. They mess up the balance of the game, although you don't look like you even know what that is.

I don't see why someone would not buy a fighting game just because they can't make their cute little character the exact way they want it. Most fighting games don't even let you create anything at all. You buy Soul Calibur V because it will be the sickest fighting game ever, with up to 30 characters, a highly improved online mode, the best story mode a fighting game has ever had, and of course, a well balanced roster.

Hmm... maybe i really need to change my view, i always thought character creation, is more like an MMORPG, but still that thing has a limitation. I may sound like a child,sorry about that. I realized that i cant wish for anything in soul calibur v.Maybe using regular character style isnt bad. Honestly though, i want to make Alice margatroid.(->Viola)

But i ask you again, let's see here, you want to make sakuya izayoi, and we know there hasnt been any weapon throwing character in soul calibur as of yet right? ANd then there's a bonus weapon, and in that list, listed a throwing knife....then what would you do?

Of course i will pick that style. So i might change my view... bonus weapon to me is where i can get the-closest style to the character that i want, IF the regular character didnt have the style that i want.

But then again, the other reason why i wont buy ps3 to play SC V, is because i dont have enough money, but if hope is still there, maybe i buy it and play it

They only thing that should be on your mind when recreating someone from something is the outfit. I made a medieval War Machine and I didn't expect him to be shooting rockets or a machine gun or whizzing thru the air with thrusters. Instead I gave him Zasalamels style because it has that overpowering and controlling feel to it.

I don't see why someone would not buy a fighting game just because they can't make their cute little character the exact way they want it. Most fighting games don't even let you create anything at all. You buy Soul Calibur V because it will be the sickest fighting game ever, with up to 30 characters, a highly improved online mode, the best story mode a fighting game has ever had, and of course, a well balanced roster.
Personally, I don't see the point of creating a character. Not because of the bonus styles, even though steel fan and the wave swords actually have great potential, but because of what to do with this character that you created. At least with games like WWE, they have a season mode or story mode where your created character can be involved into the story alongside the default roster. WWE Smackdown: Bring The Pain is the perfect example, and honestly the perfect season mode throughout that whole series.

With Dynasty Warriors, they had a mode where you gradually head up to being the best warrior (DW5: XL), kingdom modes which included the created character of your choosing fighting for a chosen kingdom (DW4), a whole game dedicated to created characters while including the default ones (DWO), and then there are the Empire games where the 100 characters that you do create are placed in different regions. You can either fight as them or against the ones you aren't using.

In SC3's case, it was Chronicles of the Sword, where the character was the hero/heroine of an RPG story.

If they are going to include this creation feature then it must be for a purpose, besides showing them off in arcade and online matches, which is an absolute waste, since arcade isn't the primary focus of this game. It's the story, and, unfortunately, Online. I say unfortunately, because I try to keep my sanity by staying offline.

Character customization (customizing the default roster), however, is much more pleasing for Soul Calibur. The characters are already in the story, so they are already put to good use.

Personally, I don't see the point of creating a character. Not because of the bonus styles, even though steel fan and the wave swords actually have great potential, but because of what to do with this character that you created. At least with games like WWE, they have a season mode or story mode where your created character can be involved into the story alongside the default roster. WWE Smackdown: Bring The Pain is the perfect example, and honestly the perfect season mode throughout that whole series.

With Dynasty Warriors, they had a mode where you gradually head up to being the best warrior (DW5: XL), kingdom modes which included the created character of your choosing fighting for a chosen kingdom (DW4), a whole game dedicated to created characters while including the default ones (DWO), and then there are the Empire games where the 100 characters that you do create are placed in different regions. You can either fight as them or against the ones you aren't using.

In SC3's case, it was Chronicles of the Sword, where the character was the hero/heroine of an RPG story.

If they are going to include this creation feature then it must be for a purpose, besides showing them off in arcade and online matches, which is an absolute waste, since arcade isn't the primary focus of this game. It's the story, and, unfortunately, Online. I say unfortunately, because I try to keep my sanity by staying offline.

Character customization (customizing the default roster), however, is much more pleasing for Soul Calibur. The characters are already in the story, so they are already put to good use.

Tbh the focus of EVERY fighting game is 'vs mode'. Every other mode is simply practice for vs mode.

Back