Idea for a future major: 2v2. Thoughts?

oh snap. i like this myself, i could do 2v2 Me and MichaelJackson.

but that is it lol, we got a few more players but doing a 3v3 may be hard

Well every team member plays 1 match until there are no teammates left on either team. It's just like how they did on the sf4 5v5 thing.

So far, that does seem like the way to go to make it faster. This is again assuming it's at a major w/60+ people.

Well every team member plays 1 match until there are no teammates left on either team. It's just like how they did on the sf4 5v5 thing.

Makes sense to me. Also makes me miss Team Battle from SC1 (maybe SC2 too, can't remember, only rented it).

Tigerkiddo hit it on "depends on how many side games." If you make SC the focus, I think it's totally possible to have a double elim Team and Singles in one day, for real. Just a matter of having enough TV's to do it. When we had the last big one in NM, we ran 12 tv's and that one went pretty smooth. I haven't forgot all your help that day Nori.

We squeezed in a 4v4 team tournament that day as well, man that was a killer followup too.

As long as you have the stations, tv's, people to help you move the bracket along, I'm saying you can have a 2v2 double elim, and singles double elim on the same day. I BELIEVE!!!!

Oh yeah, nice idea, adds some spice. Sorry you don't have a J. O. B.

Yea if you do have side games, perhaps match one or two with SC on that day that won't conflict. For instance a game that usually doesn't have the same usual players like SC. That is if you run other games on the same day as SC. This is clearly subjective but just a thought.

If there are any majors coming up, or plans in the works, is anybody willing to entertain this idea to draw out more people?

SRK had an interesting discussion on this matter after Evo had announced the 3rd Strike 2v2. Many players wanted to know why they weren't doing 3v3 like Japan, and the staff's answer boiled down to "the scene isn't large enough, 3v3 often means you have 2 good players stuck with a random scrub, and smaller teams = less potential for drama".

SF4 is the only game with a deep enough US scene to support 3v3, I think, but every other notable tournament game can do a good 2v2 at majors.

Also, as for the specific rules of a 2v2, I prefer Waseda style myself. This is where if you have team A+B vs. team C+D, A plays C then B plays D. If they split those two matches, the two winning players will face each other for the tie-breaker.

The straight elimination style (winner stays) is faster, though, and worth keeping in mind. This is what Evo used for the 3s 2v2, since they were obviously under a lot of time pressure.

Team matches should generally be one "set" (that is, 2/3 games in one of the two ways described above). 2/3 sets for winners, losers, & grand finals is fine if you have the time; Evo stuck with one set the whole way, but they had a ton of stuff to get through on Sunday.

Back