IDEA: Online Amateur Tournament

TiZ

[11] Champion
What would you say your skill level is in this game? Not very good? Alright? Good? Good enough to hang with the top dogs?

I would like to run a tournament for mid-level players. An Amateur tournament, so to speak, so that mid-level players can compete with their peers, rather than having to be subject to soul-crushing floggings from the players at the highest echelon of play. It may be much more appealing to the general masses to compete with players at the mid-level.

To ensure this tournament would have mid-level players and below only, there would be a couple of restrictions:

You may not enter if:
1. You have placed in the Top 8 at any major tournament.
2. You have placed in the Top 25% in any online tournament. (So for example, for a 16-man tourney, top 4, for an 8-man tourney, top 2, etc.)

This restriction will be enforced actively. Please do not create alternate names or alternate accounts to circumvent this restriction. The point is not for high-level players to find a bunch of easy pickings; the online modes as they exist are already ripe for that.

This can't be enforced, but is merely a request: if you have not placed in a tournament, but know that you are good enough to, please do not enter. I can't enforce this, so this is just a request in order to uphold the spirit of this tournament.

What do you guys think of the idea of an amateur tournament? Would anyone be interested in entering?

Salt.jpg

What would you say your skill level is in this game? Not very good? Alright? Good? Good enough to hang with the top dogs?

I would like to run a tournament for mid-level players. An Amateur tournament, so to speak, so that mid-level players can compete with their peers, rather than having to be subject to soul-crushing floggings from the players at the highest echelon of play. It may be much more appealing to the general masses to compete with players at the mid-level.

To ensure this tournament would have mid-level players and below only, there would be a couple of restrictions:

You may not enter if:
1. You have placed in the Top 8 at any major tournament.
2. You have placed in the Top 25% in any online tournament. (So for example, for a 16-man tourney, top 4, for an 8-man tourney, top 2, etc.)

This restriction will be enforced actively. Please do not create alternate names or alternate accounts to circumvent this restriction. The point is not for high-level players to find a bunch of easy pickings; the online modes as they exist are already ripe for that.

This can't be enforced, but is merely a request: if you have not placed in a tournament, but know that you are good enough to, please do not enter. I can't enforce this, so this is just a request in order to uphold the spirit of this tournament.

What do you guys think of the idea of an amateur tournament? Would anyone be interested in entering?

Isn't that what the Global Colosseo Tournaments are for?

What I want to know, what is your definition of a "mid-level" player?
Hmm... well... I mean, how would you define a "high-level" player? A high-level player knows what they're doing and is skilled at doing it so comprehensively that they are able to perform consistently well at tournaments, or just among high-level players. A "low-level" player would be someone who doesn't know what they're doing, and doesn't stumble about with any particular talent or skill. A "mid-level" player, I suppose, would be someone who has studied up on most or all of the funamentals, and wields that knowledge with a variable degree of skill.

A mid-level player is NOT...
Someone who doesn't thrash him.
I'm getting sick of your attitude. I'm trying to start up something good for the community and you're antagonizing me. I'm not even going to enter this tournament; it'd be pretty tactless. Step off or get out.

EDIT:
Isn't that what the Global Colosseo Tournaments are for?
No... those aren't really tournaments at all. Like... those are just the same as random matches except they only show your wins and not your losses, and I guess whoever has the most wins at the end of the session "wins" the "tournament"? It's not a tournament. Not even remotely comparable.

This is a great post man, but I would change the eligibility some.

You may not enter if:
1. You have placed in the Top 4 at any major tournament.

Or, for those who have made top 8, they may not enter if they've made top 8 more than once. That's just how I would do it.

I'd be interested ... but at the moment PSN is really not viable at the moment for online gaming- in my opinion. Too many 'network errors', disconnections etc- Maybe thats just a GC issue but I had a whole day of trying to connect with a friend of mine in player match and we couldn't... because the PSN network was Dreaming Itself into Being....

But yeah I think its a good idea. I've never been in a tournament before- so it would be an interesting experience.

Hmm... well... I mean, how would you define a "high-level" player? A high-level player knows what they're doing

So you want to organize a tournament full of mashers? I have no idea what the point of this is.

I suppose, would be someone who has studied up on most or all of the funamentals, and wields that knowledge with a variable degree of skill.

By this logic, I am what you would define as eligible for your tournament, and I have placed 4th in one of the monthly online tournaments. Thus, I am eligible, but not, by two conflicting rules. If people want to fight other people of low or mid skill level, that's what beginner lobbies are for.

So you want to organize a tournament full of mashers? I have no idea what the point of this is.

By this logic, I am what you would define as eligible for your tournament, and I have placed 4th in one of the monthly online tournaments. Thus, I am eligible, but not, by two conflicting rules. If people want to fight other people of low or mid skill level, that's what beginner lobbies are for.

I don't mash.... unless its potatoes.. but please carry on with your generalisations...

I'd be interested ... but at the moment PSN is really not viable at the moment for online gaming- in my opinion. Too many 'network errors', disconnections etc- Maybe thats just a GC issue but I had a whole day of trying to connect with a friend of mine in player match and we couldn't... because the PSN network was Dreaming Itself into Being....

But yeah I think its a good idea. I've never been in a tournament before- so it would be an interesting experience.
Omg I thought it was just my connection being stupid. Well that's good to know. Wth psn?

But yeah, I like this idea for a tourney a lot. Sounds awesome man.

Okay first of all PSN is bad. Well. This game on PSN is bad. MS did good in current gen by forcing quality control on game servers, and by handling stuff like matchmaking themselves. If we do this, I would honestly prefer to do it on XBL because the experience on XBL is considerably better. But this is totally open to debate.

Don't leap to the worst conclusion possible. Your ardent cynicism is not doing this concept any favors. Please reel it in.

By this logic, I am what you would define as eligible for your tournament, and I have placed 4th in one of the monthly online tournaments. Thus, I am eligible, but not, by two conflicting rules.
My "definition" is not a rule, because that can't be enforced. The reason the restrictions are in place is in order to reduce the subjectivity as much as possible. If you placed fourth in an online tournament with 16 people in it, especially one of the recent ones where the bigger guns have been coming out in greater force, then that means you're pretty damn good. This isn't for you. I'm sitting this one out too, I'm just running the show.

If people want to fight other people of low or mid skill level, that's what beginner lobbies are for.
Yes, but there's no catalyst to unite these players. The 24/7 lobby used to be a catalyst to unite all levels under one roof, but most people got weeded out and only the very good or the very persistent continue to attend. So then, what next? Create a lobby and advertise it for beginners or middlers? That's just begging for some particularly dickheaded high level player to come in and ruin the day. So kick him out? Impose rules? Then it's starting to get a little too iron-fisted for a lobby, something that's supposed to be a nice little get together. Tournaments are more official, more formal endeavors where rules are not only welcomed but expected. When it comes to bringing together players of this level, an amateur tournament is the most practical way to do so.

My only problem with this is that I don't have the Xbox version. Perhaps have separate tourneys for the two systems? Most of the time I get disconnected on PSN, seems to be because either the connection was bad or I happened to be winning by two rounds.

Back