It's Hammer Time! [Astaroth General Discussion]

BeefyLoveLord

[09] Warrior
Can't Stop the Funk? hopefully-

Hence Forth, All Astaroths, must have massive afros, and be referred to as Funk-O-Roth.

Speak of your opinions, successes, failures, and general feelings about the Soulless Golem who still manages to have "soul".

Safety up close is an issue now with some of the changes. 66k I'm looking at you. Still with a solid spacing game he seems to still be a threat, and his ringout tools remain largely intact, making him a very easy mix-up character when you've got got em pinned up against ring edge.

Granted I'm just some jerk, so why listen to me, make yourself heard.

Well, no one's replied yet, and I'm completely green on this game, but I'll try to lend something.

I've been using 6B to keep that necessary distance between Astaroth and his normally much quicker opponent. 22_88+B~4 seems to really catch a lot of people and leads to that huge air throw damage with 2,8+B+G.

Anyone know any situations where a ground throw opportunity is guaranteed? I don't mean guaranteed as in unbreakable, I just mean a guaranteed opportunity to attempt a ground throw.

Once again, this isn't Tekken so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I'm trying. Haha. Looking forward to playing some other Astaroths online.

Depends which ground throw. I'm still spotty on offline timing because I've only had casual friends to play with.

If you're talking about Burial, (2AK) you can get a automatic off of 4Bk-B's command throw if you're timings spot on.

Counter hits with the Knee give you an automatic 2 BK into AG airthrow.

As far as the head forward pickup throw, I generally use it to fish for people if I think they're going to stay down a moment.

If you're close by, 66A's counter-stun will give you a free face-grab attempt as well.

Good stuff, man. Thanks. I was using the CH knee into the stomp/air throw but I wasn't sure if it was guaranteed or not. Sucks you have PS3, I'd like to play another Astaroth online.

I regularly play at a friends place on Live. We trade matches. I use an astaroth that look slike mitsu, he uses a mitsu done up in full executioner like astaroth.

If I end up over there this week I'll send ya a PM, maybe timing will work in our favor.

If you're close by, 66A's counter-stun will give you a free face-grab attempt as well.

true. but if you do get the 66A counter stun, might as well go for the 66AB launch. plenty of opportunities arise from that. :)

such as:

A+G
28B+G
2B+K, A+G (seriously xD)
1[A],B (charge as they fall)
66K (if near the edge, try to hit them in midair xD)

etc.

i have more, but i'm currently at work :(

true. but if you do get the 66A counter stun, might as well go for the 66AB launch. plenty of opportunities arise from that. :)

such as:

A+G
28B+G
2B+K, A+G (seriously xD)
1[A],B (charge as they fall)
66K (if near the edge, try to hit them in midair xD)

etc.

i have more, but i'm currently at work :(

This is very true. He wanted things that can lead into ground throws though, so I gave him some.

i see. so far, all i have is CH 6K. maybe CH WR B? i think it crumples.

oh..maybe wallsplat stuff?

I wouldn't know where to start to actually chain into a crouch grab. IMO the easiest ways to crouch grab are off of training the opponent to your moves, i.e. 1A during their wakeup. Eventually they just block low afraid of discus and whatnot, so you can reach down and grab 'em.

One thing I want to try is see how easily he can hop lows with his jumping grabs (3A+G_B+G), 'cause some of the sweeps are pretty telegraphed (like Mitsurugi's, or a fellow Asta's). A good chunk of them are tech crouches as well so it'd be interesting to see how it helps.

I wouldn't know where to start to actually chain into a crouch grab. IMO the easiest ways to crouch grab are off of training the opponent to your moves, i.e. 1A during their wakeup. Eventually they just block low afraid of discus and whatnot, so you can reach down and grab 'em.

One thing I want to try is see how easily he can hop lows with his jumping grabs (3A+G_B+G), 'cause some of the sweeps are pretty telegraphed (like Mitsurugi's, or a fellow Asta's). A good chunk of them are tech crouches as well so it'd be interesting to see how it helps.

If its telegraphed pretty well, it should hop over it. Works well for me at times

I have found the best way to land crouch throws is via training your opponent like Syrpiektre said. Also some players like to exchange thow whiffs (ie I duck your throw, and in turn I immediately attempt a throw) I tend to turn that against them via training, so after I duck your throw, I'll crouch throw and catch them trying to duck the expected high throw. Now that isn't very effective via scrubs or spammers, so more direct approaches are required. Like wallsplat (my fave) or CH 3A.

Come to think of it, I'm not 100% sure if CH 3A leads into crouch throws like it did in sc3. Hmmm... I need to go test it out.

I find my self banking on CH's and throws a lot when attempting to to get someone out of Asty's grill. Like CH 6K, 3A, 4B.. ect.... Any other strats/moves effective for getting high pressure characters out of Astaroth's face?

One of the things that might be more effective on those crouch throws are against techs. I noticed that leaping throws catch standard/backwards ukemi, and standard crouch throws catch standard and forwards techs. However, left/right tech totally breaks it -- this is when 1A comes back into play, I guess, along with maybe 33K (though that really only works if you outguess your opp, because I think 33K is too slow to really tech catch).

As for getting people out of your face I think you're stuck with 6K, 66K, 2K and 4B. Realistically I don't think anything else is fast enough, except maybe the occasional 6B+K.

(The Great Maul is still my favorite weapon for Astaroth)

So, lets see about getting some constructive Asty talk going.

I still feel like Asty has 'terrain advantage' in 4 as he did in 3. What I mean by that is, on stages with no walls, he has lots of options for RO's at most ranges, and lots of angles, and on cage stages he still owns with piles of wallsplat insanity!

We have established some base moves for getting characters out of Astaroth's face
4B, 6K, 66K, 2K, and 6B+G(?)

Any other staple Astaroth knowledge?

I have a question -- Is 28B+G the most damage you can get out of a 66A, B or 22_88B popup? I know in 3 his 11_77B, K was more effective than his 214B+G.

P.S.: Anyone know what the etiquette is for transferring info (ie combo lists) from caliburforum.com?

Transfering the info, I think if the author gives permission it's free game.

6A is rather quick as well. But not much follow up. I like 2A. It's efficient.

It's sad, but that's the most I can make of it. As for 28B+G. It does big damage and is such an awesome move. It has impact. The problem is that it's not reliable on 66AB. Only on CH. Not many people get hit by the B if it's not CH anyway.

The 22_88B4 is a good move. If I somehow miss the 4 I follow up with a 9B. I'd be interested if there are other guaranteed follow ups on any of these moves.

I do believe he still is king of the ring when it comes to RO. Only problem is that 3A+B CH RO yourself before your opponent. Same with the 28B+G if you're too close. Dissapointing. Wallsplat is great for the 2B+G_A+G.

Yeah, just ask first, hopefully Brian or one of the other thread posters are still around to say something. The old Asta forum is like a cesspool of negative waves (for a good reason, as we've yet to see Asta make any kind of waves in the tourney scene like he did in SC3).

As for your question, yeah 28B+G is the best damage off of the launchers. It's a hard decision though when you want to go for damage or let them fall and mix up. As a tip, if you're afraid of jumping off on accident go for the A+G followup. Better safe than sorry IMO.

Are there any guaranteed followups to B+K_A,[A]? IIRC, A[A] guaranteed a free 4B in SC2, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I haven't messed with it that much, but so far I've been mixing up bullrush and then using 4[A+B] when they start blocking.

What do you mean B+K_A,[A]? As in the two separate moves? ...As for followups I haven't had a chance to test :P Generally what I like to do is grab after a blocked B+K, but really I notice more people just duck it on reaction, haha.

you can always mix it up with 2A+G xD

my favorite is when B+K hits and then follow up with a 3A+G since the opponent ducks on reaction xD

Asta 44B cancel to while standing

This is probably old news but just in-case:
Asta's 44B,G give WS properties as long as you input the next button fast enough- 44B,G:A or 44B,G:B or 44B,G:K, if you do it fast enough say 44B~G:A, then you won't even see any 44B animation.
Also from WS you are able to still access his directional moves giving you more than just WS options from the cancel for instance 44B,G,66B or 44B,G,6K
Wait a split second after 44B,G and you are fully standing and can access his entire standing arsenal.
What I have had trouble figuring out is if pressing 6 or 4 after the cancel puts you in full standing any faster than waiting, it seems to me that it does but it might just be that the action takes the same "split second" you could have waited. My test cases were usually 44B~G:6,3B or 44B~G:4,1A

Skipped SC3,
REy

Back