It's Hammer Time! [Astaroth General Discussion]

Asta 44B cancel to while standing

Ooh, I didn't notice it. Nice find, I'll try to help with testing tomorrow. I wonder what the chances are with catching steppers with WR A... Or if there are ways to abuse the opp. for blocking a WR attack. Does this mean we can cancel into FC too?

Yes, the _ meant B+K or A[A], since AFAIK they still have different frames. Sometimes it seems I'm too far away for the throw, but the 3A+G_B+G seems sexy.

Nice find. Now I can use WSA to catch people stepping 44B instead of slowass 44B cancel, A+B.

Wow, I didn't even know that. I already learned something new and I just registered.

2k, what is that? Asty's low kick that does only 15 damage? *am I thinking of the right move?* I keep drawing a blank when I think of that move.

What do you mean B+K_A,[A]? As in the two separate moves? ...As for followups I haven't had a chance to test :P Generally what I like to do is grab after a blocked B+K, but really I notice more people just duck it on reaction, haha.

I haven't tested this online or against anyone else, but is 2B+K,A+G a sure hit on launchers, because when I did it in training mode, it does more damage than simply using A+G.

Yeah, 2K is Asta's low kick. The important parts being that it's fast and low, not necessarily the damage part :)

2B+K, A+G is not guaranteed as far as I know, because you can tech out of just about any launcher. 2B+K, A+G after a successful parry may prove a little more fruitful :P

Hey thanks, for the response. :D Yeah, the reason I probably didn't remember that move is that I don't use it enough. I probably should start, since this seems like a good poke. What's a good follow up though?

Is there a way to combo into or sucessfully utilize 214A?
I know in 3 you could catch someone with it off of the old 33_99[K], but I haven't found a combo/use for it in SCIV. It seems to be much slower and not catch poeple on the backside of the swing like it used to.

You can combo the new 33_99[K] into PT, but it's hard and kinda goofy. You need to input 214A backwards, as the camera thinks you've switched sides. This isn't always the case, though. Also, it's not very reliable.

Otherwise, it's hard to combo anything into PT now. 22[K] doesn't seem to work because it launches behind you, and PT no longer covers Asta's back side.

Otherwise, it's hard to combo anything into PT now. 22[K] doesn't seem to work because it launches behind you, and PT no longer covers Asta's back side.

Yeah, and with all his other launchers, launcher cool down + 214A windup > airtime (But I'm pretty sure thats not different from 3)

Yeah, I don't know of a good way to pull into it yet... Even as a tech trap it's a little too slow :/ In my play I've almost completely ignored PT as a throw and only use 214AAAA... in order to get some space.

Hot-Wire: I don't really use 2K as something to really follow up. I just use it as an interrupt and slight push off. Generally when you do have to use it you should be focusing on getting your space back.

Eh, I played against someone competent today offline :/ He played a safe Talim, going strictly for punishment for the most part and I couldn't really do much of anything once he was inside. Maybe I wasn't thinking enough out of the box but it was a really rough match. I only won 2 rounds because of theatrics leading to one 66K opening to RO, the I don't remember. In the end I guess that works just fine if you can pressure up to an RO though.

So, what do you do when you want to vent some Asta frustration? Create some useless, though fun, combos:
4B+KB, A+G_28B+G
44[A], 66AB, 28B+G (this combo is sad if only because the throw is scaled down to 28% damage)

Other random pointless things of note: after a blocked B+K, 6B+K, 1A, 66K can successfully duck AA, but 6K, 3A+B cannot o_O

Hmm I see. I tried a new mix up with that 2K move. Either 2K,2K,KA (Rising) or just a 2K,KA (Rising) It works okay, since the opponent tries to duck after the first or second low kick, just to be hit by the mid hit KA kick and sweep. It gives plenty of distance when it works, since that sweep pushes the opponent away pretty far.

Can't Stop the Funk? hopefully-

Anyone know any situations where a ground throw opportunity is guaranteed? I don't mean guaranteed as in unbreakable, I just mean a guaranteed opportunity to attempt a ground throw.

2 and 9[B+K] give a gaurenteed low grab on block, though you have to be pretty close on the actual hit or the throw will miss.

i sometimes like to do 2 after CH 66AB.. if they block the 2 then you get a low grab, if they get hit then you can still attempt a low grab if they tech :p. they can step out of 2 so i wouldnt abuse it too much... you got plenty of options anyway.

CH 6B and CH 3A gives a free low grab, but theres higher dmg stuff you can do from both of those. ive had other astas use low grabs on me after a wallsplat, though ive not tried much wall stuff yet.

as said though teching is good opportunity to attempt a grab... i like to try it after CH 4B_

hope i got the notations right :D

edit- haha just noticed you said ground throw and not low throw anyway ._.

Can't Stop the Funk? hopefully-

I still don't see 2 as a reliable trap to anyone who's played Asta. It's just too slow, IMO. You might be better off just pushing off during the knockdown with 22B ::shrug::

I do agree about the grab, though it can be tricky. Standard crouch grab takes out tech front & neutral; leaping crouch grab takes out neutral and backwards. The catch (pun intended) is that side techs can't be throws as far as I know.

I have been practicing this. You can do 8AB instantly afterwards. I didn't get 2AB out consistently though. Only after taking the slight pause. But cancel and WRA isn't bad either.

Thanks for sharing!

found a funny tech trap today:

CH 6B and if they tech this you can follow up with:
66[k], 28B+G (~120dmg)

also this next one, again starting from CH 6B and if they tech:
66[k], 44, 22_88B (168-176dmg) LOL

ive tested both of these and 66[k] works with tech in any direction, as does the 44 follow up. feel free to test yourself :p

relying on the tech might be a little unreliable but the damage potential is unreal (~80% health). i think it would be useful after CH AB (when the A whifs), or a simple AB followup from 22_88[k] or 44[a]

id love for you guys to test this out in case ive made a mistake and see what you think :)

So, what do you do when you want to vent some Asta frustration? Create some useless, though fun, combos:
4B+KB, A+G_28B+G
44[A], 66AB, 28B+G (this combo is sad if only because the throw is scaled down to 28% damage)

Is the 28B+G guaranteed after 4B+KB? I thought this was to slow. Do you turn around with G first? I'll test it.

After a succesful 44[A] it might be better to go with 6K, 2A+K. Or 6K, 2B+K,A+G. I haven't done that last one against human opponents yet.

@ojste
Nice finds. Looking forward to testing this. We might make something out of Asta yet :)

I've been exploring other characters so I haven't been playing Asta as much but when I do I have had the most success with this cancel to WSA, and secondly with WSB at close range. Let's choose a name for this cancel.

Back