Ivy matchups discussion and strategies

Some general anti-Xiba stuff (his best moves)

Dealing with 3B spam: Xiba's 3B is extremely deadly. Very strong combo on NH (with RO and Wallsplat potential), on block creates a mix-up. 3B itself has huge range and breaks in 12. It has a non-reactable followup (3BKK) which on hit does lots of damage and RO. He also can enter his RMB stance, where he has other strong options (a vertical, horizontal and a TJ low). After 3B, the spinning kick cannot be sidestepped or backdashed (only when 3B was blocked at far range)

Ivy's 4K and 214B beat all options after 3B.
Ivy's 3B beats 3B>K, RMB B, RMB K (both hits whiff) and loses to RMB A
iFC 1B beats all except RMB B

The problem arise when Xiba starts spamming single 3B's, or 3Bs into sidestep or GI/CE/B+K. One mistake can make us lose up to 1/2 of life bar. And blocking in fear of step/CE will make us blinking red in no time. It's a risk for both characters, but Xiba's reward is generally better here.

6AK: Xiba's 6A has insane range and kills both side step and backstep, similar to Ivy's 6[A]. The only difference is that Xiba gets a very strong combo on CH (up to 80dmg). It can also be used to punish Ivy's whip attacks, such as 3[A] or 6[A]. I'm not sure if 6AK can be hit confirmed, but it's very important to learn to interrupt the kick with 6KB (free 55+dmg for Ivy) or 2A (creates mid/throw mix-up) It's crucial in fighting against Xiba. 6A itself has a long recovery on block so he won't be able to step Ivy's 6KB or CE it after doing 6A. 6A is also a high-high move, sometimes ,when only the second hit counter hits, the combo damage scales differently and damage is much higher, reaching 90pts.

6BK: Just like in 6AK case, interrupt the second hit with 6KB or 2A. 6B has better recovery so he can CE your 6KB. It also completely shuts down Ivy's 3B.

*tip: Ivy's 6KB is a fantastic mid poke in this MU, as Xiba is forced to always block two hits because of his large hitbox. This means we get a safe i14 mid with a HUGE pushback on block.

22_88B: the super annoying combo starter works in a similar way to Phyrra's 22_88K. Used after step it avoids all verticals and high attacks. The combo damage is close to 80 and the move seems to have crazy fast TC frames. Always punish with 6B8K when you block it.

4A: Another stupidly good evade. The move is a combination of a great tech step and tech crouch. Also kills step, and KND on NH. Only -11 on block, so you get 4B when you're in range. Best countered with horizontal mids (normal 3A works wonders.. as long as you're in range), 2K works too.

B+K: auto Gi which works on all mid/high horizontals. Combos into RMB B combo for tons of damage.Especially annoying when mixed with 22_88B etc, always forces you to guess between a vertical and horizontal.

1_3A+B: very annoying step killing lows, on hit they become attack throws, you can break them but that leaves Xiba at frame advantage. Punish with 6B8K.

CE: On a successful aGI it does 110dmg. On block punishable with 1B BE/CE. If you anticipate it, you can also step it both directions.

I believe these are his most troublesome tools.Imo his 6A is the most problematic move for Ivy. It prevents us from backdashing.

If anyone has something to add/correct, feel free to do so.

Checking this MU made me realize that Ivy's 6KB is definitely worth exploring. It's another character specific thing, I'm not yet sure which characters are forced to block two hits, I will check that later.

Regarding 6AK, you can sidewalk the K to Ivy's left and 22(B), even if 6A hits. Doesn't work with 6BK, though.

Regarding 6AK, you can sidewalk the K to Ivy's left and 22(B), even if 6A hits. Doesn't work with 6BK, though.
It works with 6BK too, kind of. When 6B is blocked at mid to tip range you have to backdash and then cancel it into 88(B). It's pretty risky so I only try to BD when I block 6B at maximum range.

I'm totally sorry to ask you something (cause all of yours are making great stuff) but can we just create a closed topic where the punishement and the tips will be joined?

It would be really cool if a common player like me could see all the informations he needs to play well againt Viola/maxi...

I know u don't know me, im just a casual player from soulcalibur.fr!

I have been thinking a while about doing something like that. My idea is forging the Punishment list the Ivy players here have done with general approach tips against whatever char, listing Ivys strengths or weaknesses against certain chars and other helpful stuff. But this is going to take a while and I'll need to talk this over with Eli123s hope he agrees.

I'm glad the idea was discussed. My level is not good enought to explain other players how to behave with ivy but if i can help you, why not.

It hasn't really been discussed, but I like the idea. If people agree to it, I want to make one that is similar to the hilde match-up guide structure wise. But it will not only contain punishment, it will also contain other helpful anit character spec stuff.

^Lol I know what you mean. I've been sitting for hours in training, studying his frame data and movelist, but in an actual game against Maxi, it's like I I'm a total n00b. Somehow I'm not able to distinguish his moves during a match; they are all far too similar imo. I need to play more against Maxi mainers.

^Lol I know what you mean. I've been sitting for hours in training, studying his frame data and movelist, but in an actual game against Maxi, it's like I I'm a total n00b. Somehow I'm not able to distinguish his moves during a match; they are all far too similar imo. I need to play more against Maxi mainers.

Ha exactly. At first, I was fine 3b'ing all match, but I get side swiped every time now. And every time I try move in I get bashed by his 66B and then punched midair.

214B is awesome because it destroys all his WS/iWS B+K attempts. And Maxi can't punish 214B with anything other than K or CE when he's in range.

You can interrupt Maxi's 4BB (I think that's the notation) with 3B for a full launch. It beats all his options out of it except his rolling kick thing.

Thanks for the tips. I guess it's just a matter of distinguishing what string/move he's about to do. They all seem so similar to me.

Adding something to Xiba MU:

Xiba's 6AK BE can be beaten with ... Ivy's 214A. You guys should check it, it's really funny. Credits to DarkSlayer!
Xiba's 66KB - you can block and punish with 6B8K or 1B BE or... quick step to get behind Xiba and then 6B+K. Always connects as BT attack throw giving us 100 dmg.

After blocking Sieg's 3B], 4b+k:G will beat all immediate options. Vs SCH B, 4b+k:G SS Tezhas. Vs SCH K/K, K/K BE, 4b+k:G SS(right only?(didn't test)) Tezhas/iCS. Vs SCH A, 4b+k:G FC 1B], B combo.

After blocking Sieg's 3B], 4b+k:G will beat all immediate options. Vs SCH B, 4b+k:G SS Tezhas. Vs SCH K/K, K/K BE, 4b+k:G SS(right only?(didn't test)) Tezhas/iCS. Vs SCH A, 4b+k:G FC 1B], B combo.
So you are saying do the unblockable cancel before these other moves? Wouldn't it be easier to just do the other move without the unblockable or is it some kind of bait or frame thing I'm not seeing?

Xiba's 66KB - you can... quick step to get behind Xiba and then 6B+K. Always connects as BT attack throw giving us 100 dmg.
I know this is a bit old, but 44[A]6 BT 2B+K x2 seems to work just as well here for damage. It winds up being better if you land it too, since this combo gives you more meter while giving the victim less meter than 6B+K on their back does.

Back