Just Guard

Some strings work like that- you JG the first hit and the game does the rest for you. (I believe maxi B+K is the same way?)

I thought I was getting really good at JG until Natsu AAB came along. Everytime I think I've got this string figured out, I won't get it for 30-50 tries. And then I cry. This string is so dumb. I know it's the release cooldown from gaurd that's f'ing me up because when I finally am able to JG the first B, the rest are easy, no problem. But getting that first B is a nightmare. And you can't step inbetween the hits, it does hilarious amounts of guard damage, it's only -14 and pushes out maaaaad far.

I find that in when it comes to JGing quick strings like that, that I get to hard on the trigger after the first or second hits. Meaning that I have a tendency to hold the button down just slightly too long to get the JG but not long enough to block.

Like on Xiba's 6KBBB (or is it just 6KB, not sure) that annoying move where he spin-kicks you then hits you three times BTed with the staff between his legs. I'll call it monkey hump. I can JG the K and the first B no problem, but then the last two hits I fuck it up. It's usually because I get flustered and hold G down a little bit too long for the subsequent hits.

Just Gaurd an Unblockable. Like Cervy Gun Shot. or Pyhra 11A[A]. The Rest is Gravy.

Method 2 - go to training and go to the preset setting where the CPU attacks after the first or 2nd attack with a AA/BB//3B. Try to JG the first attack.

Just Gaurd an Unblockable. Like Cervy Gun Shot. or Pyhra 11A[A]. The Rest is Gravy.

Method 2 - go to training and go to the preset setting where the CPU attacks after the first or 2nd attack with a AA/BB//3B. Try to JG the first attack.

oh yeah there's a lot of good options to vary out the training modes. And I thought recording numerous unblockables was the way when I usually sidestep them online anyway.

After having it explained to me many different ways. This by far was what it took for me to get it.

I don't have a nice video for you, but, the timing on it requires you to press and release G really fast. If you tap G and see your character just barely twitch, then you did it right. If they sorta move into actually guarding, then you did it too slowly. Ideally, you want to be in training mode, see the G button input appear in the command history, but, not see your character move at all.

Its far far far far far far far far far far far easier to do on an arcade stick with sensitive Sanwa buttons. I find it much harder to do on pad.

It helped me quite a bit. Hope this helps someone else.

So this was something I was kind of sort of saving for Evo, but since I didn't get to go (and it's honestly not the most useful thing in the world anyways), I thought I'd share.

So we all know that the JG window is AFTER you let go of G. But what about for lows? So it turns out there's some leniency on when you can press the 2 for G2... you can press it after the G, thereby allowing you to technically JG mid and low attacks of similar speeds. This seems most useful for strings with mids and lows (so, like I said, not useful in SC5 so much. Would have dominated in a calibur game of the past though.) but works in other situations too. I don't know if the 2 input resets the window, or if it "closes" out the mid window, but I suppose both are possibile.

The most obvious example of this being useful is vs. Maxi's RO KA/KK mixup. When my execution is on point, I can JG these 100% of the time with the same input, elminateing the need to guess (and effectively changing the mix up to a will he/won't he situation). Either that or I'm getting very consistently very lucky for a very long time against local Maxi's. I would like to pretend it's the former, if I may.

Back