Just Guarding mapping for Pad Warriors (like a god damn pro)

Rikuto

[10] Knight
The reason it is so hard to hit that 4 frame window on a pad is threefold.

First, it's because the face buttons on both the xbox and ps pads are stickier than the buttons off of an arcade stick. They are traditionally very sensitive, where as the pad user suffers more resistance on their press as it was meant for a thumb.

Second, the thumb is not the most agile of digits. It's clumsy.

Three, Half of you are doing it wrong trying to use crazy ideas like tapping the button repeatedly and mixing it with a+b+k inbetween presses and all sorts of assorted placebo that doesn't really do much but make you feel safer.

Worse yet, how can you think to stay competitive when all those stick guys will be cranking out those JG's at tournaments while you keep getting guard broken and sent to losers bracket?

Well rejoice, I have some helpful advice for you today that will make your experience a hell of a lot easier!

For the following example I will use the 360 pad. Assuming you are using the default config A on your controller, I want you to remap the following.

Right trigger to G

Left Bumper to A+B+K

Now why have we done this?

1. The right trigger on a 360 pad is sensitive. VERY sensitive. Go into training mode and dance your finger off of it and see just how much pressure is actually needed to get an input at the bottom of the screen -- it isn't much at all. This also gives your index finger which has infinitely more accuracy during a button press dominance, as it already rests on the trigger. This also cuts down on fatigue since you aren't working your thumb to mash in and out of that resistant face button as quick as possible.

2. You never needed the left bumper for a+g because your thumb already can rest over the 360 pads X and A buttons. You still have a dedicated button for the a+b+k and b+g though, so worry not, you are safe after some minor re-adjusting.

If you are left handed, you might wish to use the left trigger instead of the right trigger if you feel that gives you more accuracy during your press, it's up to you.

I'm still leaving my default G button alone for dual functionality. Why? Well, why not? I'm not going to fight a decade of habit just because namco decided to make a simple function damn near impossible for a pad user but easy as pie for stick users. There isn't any crazy broken stuff like Hilde's nonsense in SC4 either that we know of, so I don't see any reason dual-mapping should be banned either.

Note on PS3 pad users

As of right now I have not tested your pad with this. The DS 3 does have a trigger mechanism similar to the 360 which replaced the old L2 and R2 buttons though, so I assume similar functionality. At the worst case scenario the button is slightly less responsive than the 360's trigger, but your index finger will still maintain a clear dominance over your thumb in hitting that small JG window.

What I HAVE tested is my psx/ps2 to 360 converter and I found that the original DS1 despite having no angled trigger did have R2 respond fairly well to my quick clicks, and certainly better than using the X button. That is the power of using your index finger for this task, it's simply superior.

On the other hand, using the DS2 I had issues because the DS2 was built with a pressure function unlike any other controller, and it gets wonky when it plays with the converter. So for any of you guys who need a wired pad for evo to work, either get a DS1 or make sure your DS2 doesn't have that issue with whatever converter you're using or you'll NEVER get this tactic to work.

Happy JG'ing, pwn some stick users. They won't know what hit 'em

Right bumper to G.
Scrape the corner of the right bumper with your index finger's nail.
Get immediate feedback on button press and nice snappy return > trigger.

i try it on DS2
using the R2 as G
and its work alot better to me then the original mapping (g = X bottom )
many thx dude for this discovery

Right bumper to G.
Scrape the corner of the right bumper with your index finger's nail.
Get immediate feedback on button press and nice snappy return > trigger.

From my experience the bumper sticks more and leaves a major margin for error, but if you can comfortably pull it off more power to you.

i try it on DS2
using the R2 as G
and its work alot better to me then the original mapping (g = X bottom )
many thx dude for this discovery

Very nice. May I ask what system and converter you are using it with?

Problem is I use my fingers on the pad like it's an arcade stick.

Arcade grip... I swear there's always at least one of you guys.

if you're absolutely reliant on that for something like slide inputs, you can always bind it to the left trigger/L2.

Your left index finger should still be free, yea?

From my experience the bumper sticks more and leaves a major margin for error, but if you can comfortably pull it off more power to you.

Clean your controller! :P

Arcade grip... I swear there's always at least one of you guys.

It's called CLAW and what do you mean "at least one" ? The majority of Tekken and SC players use claw.

Hey call it whatever you want, it still looks goofy as hell.

In tekken it sorta makes sense to do that because tekken has just about the dumbest input window of any 3d fighter out there and you need that much precision so you don't regularly drop combos.

In Soul Calibur I just don't see the point unless your specific character benefits from slide inputs.

I don't care about just guarding nearly enough to remap my pad. I'm comfortable with how it is now.

Complacency is the first roadblock to progress. I'm not here to convince you to do anything though. I'm just here to tell you the proper way to do it and why.

If you're content to let some nightmare player guard break you every round and throw you off the side of the building while laughing, then well... ok, have fun with that.

I don't mean this to be condescending but... are you like... 12?

There is a history of claw in SC because of cross button inputs and such. You generally have better reactions and a lighter touch with your fingers, allowing things like iMCF to flow more easily.

It's still pretty ridiculous to remap your entire controller so that you can more easily kA, B+G, A+K, aK, K+G, a:B+K, 2aB, etc for each character you plan to play. It was absolutely ludicrous to expect to do that at the arcade or at a tournament.

SFIV kids that have to bind throw to a button make me laugh.

Second, the thumb is not the most agile of digits. It's clumsy.

Why would I want to trust my clumsy thumb for inputting combos or other quick commands that require multiple buttons in quick succession or simultaneously or BOTH??? A+B, B+K, B+G??? I can't play any character effectively with my slow gimpy thumb .

My right index finger is already on the guard button in claw grip. Just Guard problem solved?

For the record I am using a Street Fighter fight pad so there isn't any triggers anyway. My left shoulder is bound to A+B+K.

I'm not trying to turn this thread into thumb vs claw grip so my apologies for leading in that direction.

Why would I want to trust my clumsy thumb for inputting combos or other quick commands that require multiple buttons in quick succession or simultaneously or BOTH??? A+B, B+K, B+G??? I can't play any character effectively with my slow gimpy thumb .

My right index finger is already on the guard button in claw grip. Just Guard problem solved?

For the record I am using a Street Fighter fight pad so there isn't any triggers anyway. My left shoulder is bound to A+B+K.

I'm not trying to turn this thread into thumb vs claw grip so my apologies for leading in that direction.

Ah, see this is new information to me. If you're using a specific pad then there is nothing I can accurately determine about it if I don't have it right in front of me. If it has reliable shoulder buttons that work for JG, only you can know this.

I'm pretty much just going to ignore Supa's childish baiting as it has nothing to do with the topic and he is going off of a tangent because I lightly mentioned claw looking goofy (and it does, effectiveness for some characters was never argued).

I'm becoming comfortable with JG using a Dual Shock, and my button config has a G on R2 (for blocking) and X (for AG slide inputs). To JG I quickly slide across X as if I were trying to do a JF G. Works well.

I thought about doing this, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

As for the whole claw vs. traditional grip thing, the claw isn't comfortable to me.

No wonder I couldn't JG in training mode more than once in a blue moon! I'm now gonna use L2 as G (ps3, claw style).

Thanks for discovering that!

I'm wondering if I should just say "the hell with it" and get a decent stick and get used to it. Everyone keeps telling me that your execution gets better because it's WAY more accurate. My biggest issue with sticks is double tapping moves like 22, 44 or 66, as it seems faster and more energy efficient to double tap on the pad. On the other hand, circular motions like CE I would imagine be easier on the stick? I want a stick that you barely have to move at all, like a 3 inch diameter at most.

Anyone know a stick that's "bang for your buck", decent enough quality for accuracy but not outrageous in price?

Good stick runs anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks. I've got a passable one that cost 60.

I've put a lot of time into using it too, it just isn't nearly as effective as pad for me. My button accuracy is great on stick, but my movement speed is severely crippled and I'd rather be able to space effectively than get hit by everything. So pad it is.

As for making up on button accuracy, I come up with little tricks like the one in this thread.

I don't mean to be snobby, but if you paid only $60 for a stick... it's used, broken, garbage or all 3.

~$150 is average-ish for a TE or eightarc. You can find them around $100, but again... $60 is... eh....

I want a stick that you barely have to move at all, like a 3 inch diameter at most.

That's the trick - most joysticks that are made with a JLF (and even happ comps before they started sucking...) have very small engagement throws. Most people on a stick will automatically slam the thing to the extreme where it hits the gate/stop. Try to avoid that or you'll forever be cursing the "slowness" of a stick. Instead, move the stick around and listen for the tiny "click" of the microswitches. That's all the distance you need to move.

You can also practice slapping inputs, but I don't like that method. :\

I don't mean this to be condescending but... are you like... 12?

I don't mean to be snobby, but if you paid only $60 for a stick... it's used, broken, garbage or all 3.

I don't mean to be vulgar, but how about you fuck off? (see what i did there?)

Back